The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What?! No more Nigel at Rolex??!?

That just stinks!! It won't be the same without him.
    Harmonys Maestro: 1992-2008 RIP
    Morally Grey - Training level here we come

Holy Cow! I cannot imagine Rolex without Nigel's, "This rider has two rails in hand or he will start losing thousands of dollars." I think that I would have to ride with earplugs, so as not to hear him and become so nervous that I pulled every rail.

If Rolex becomes Longines (sp?), then all of these changes will ultimately be it's destruction. JMHO.

All of these changes started when Alltech took over WEG. Next thing you know, Janie Atkinson is retiring. Rolex requires everyone to volunteer by computer, which is confusing as he!!. Alltech is the problem here. They are taking over the KHP. Before you know it, we will be calling it the Alltech Horse Park.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, I hope a lot of thought went into changing the "voice of Rolex." He's been a staple for so long, I'd know where I was if you plopped me down blindfolded in the middle of the KHP.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

An absolutely absurd decision!

I will miss his cross-country reminder to "please keep your dogs close and your children on leashes".

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm miffed enough I actually sent a note through their website:

I am very, very sad to hear that Nigel Casserly will not be running the sound and announcing anymore. He has done a stellar job for 35 years, and his voice and commentary are something I look forward to every year. I've been coming to Rolex for almost 20 years, 18 years in a row now, Weds to Sun.

I am incredibly disappointed by this decision, and I think it is a mistake.
    I probably should have sent it to the email listed for Ms. Gray, but I guess I'll see if I get any sort of an answer. It won't change the decision, but it makes me feel better to speak my mind.

3 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Just p*ssing on fence posts.

And more money goes into O'Connor pockets.

Janie and Mike E S both announced their retirements before WEG to take place after WEG. I certainly don't blame Alltech for that. Mike Tucker is the guy who did the BBC commentary for the Olympics and could not stop babbling. He's married to eventing dressage dragon, Angela Tucker. One speculates that she'll be on the ground jury this year.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Management must have forgotten that Nigel IS Rolex Kentucky. He has been doing this since 1977 (the World Championship test event). 35 years and then flushed down the toilet.

Thankfully we haven't yet ordered our tickets and frankly we are not interested in going. The new management doesn't seem to know what it is doing and this just reinforces their mis-management. Crazy!
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

2 members found this post helpful.

And more money goes into O'Connor pockets.
    I think that's a little unfair, considering Brian has nothing to do with anything other than that he is a damn fine announcer and xc control. I'm pretty sure there isn't some giant O'Connor Cooperation/crime ring that he's part of along with his brother and sister in law.

I actually like Mike Tucker, but it'll be sad to see Nigel go.

2 members found this post helpful.

Coth story says he's going to be providing the sound system. And his mother provides the commentary for dressage and showjumping and is sometimes/often chief steward.

Rolex is a moneypot for the O'Connors.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I think that's a little unfair, considering Brian has nothing to do with anything other than that he is a damn fine announcer and xc control. I'm pretty sure there isn't some giant O'Connor Cooperation/crime ring that he's part of along with his brother and sister in law.

I actually like Mike Tucker, but it'll be sad to see Nigel go.

Vineyridge, the sound system job was put out for BID.

I have worked with many of Brian's sound systems, and I can assure you he does quality work.

As to the other, I am just sorry that the job didn't go to an American announcer.

5 members found this post helpful.

FC,
    I was thinking that, too. Nigel is a us citizen, so at least that money stays here....now it's (at least some portion) going overseas!
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Coth story says he's going to be providing the sound system. And his mother provides the commentary for dressage and showjumping and is sometimes/often chief steward.

Rolex is a moneypot for the O'Connors.
    He is a fantastic announcer/control/audio guy. An institution in our neck of the woods. My dog goes ape shit if she hears his voice on youtube videos because he reminds her of cross country.

Sally O'Connor is a great judge and official.

God forbid the US's flagship event use the best they can find. So what if they come from the same family? Like I said, I don't think there is some secrect O'Connor crime ring, breaking arms and sending death threats to Rolex management to get all O'Connors employed....

I wrote a to the point email to the Director. Bad decision.

Disappointing decision- Nigel is the voice of Rolex for me too
    I think the potshots at the O'Connors are misplaced. Brian has been doing the dressage and stadium commentary and equipment for years and has done the sound for XC at lots of events and he does a good job.
    I think its a bad decision by management for numerous reasons but that is not Brian's fault.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

7 members found this post helpful.

I agree Brian O'Connor is a wonderful announcer and that his mother is extremely competent. I'm just remembering a discussion with some New Zealand officials at WEG who commented on the omnipresence of O'Connor.

If the sound system was put out for bid, that might well explain the whole situation.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    He is a fantastic announcer/control/audio guy. An institution in our neck of the woods. My dog goes ape shit if she hears his voice on youtube videos because he reminds her of cross country.

Sally O'Connor is a great judge and official.

God forbid the US's flagship event use the best they can find. So what if they come from the same family? Like I said, I don't think there is some secrect O'Connor crime ring, breaking arms and sending death threats to Rolex management to get all O'Connors employed....

So.....Rolex now has no Nigel and no Rolex (well, at least through the "glorious" FEI). I stopped going when they started assigning seats in SJ and generally made me feel like a 2nd class citizen, around 2006. I think I prefer to remember "my" Rolex, not....whatever this is.

Oh and I agree that the criticism of Brian is completely unwarranted. I have worked with him on multiple occasions - he is a fantastic announcer, very organized, friendly, generous, entertaining, and is very very good at what he does. He has been involved with Rolex plenty of times in the past and he always works hard to do the job well.

This is Nigel. I would like to thank all of you for your kind remarks and support, but seriously want to stress that this is nothing to do with Brian and/or his abilities, it is a decision taken by Equestrian Events Inc. the organizing body for the Rolex Kentucky 3-day Event, so I ask you all please not to get into a "p...ing contest".

The decision has been made and I have to respect the board's decision and will miss all of you at the event - 36 years of service is a long time with lots of good memories. I would like to add that Brian is very good at what he does, I should know because I gave him his start in 1980 and he worked for me for 5 years. All the best to everybody.

57 members found this post helpful.

It won't be Rolex without you there Nigel!

I'll miss you at Rolex Nigel, but look forward to enjoying your great commentary at other events.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb