The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    well, after watching a wild snake spend 45 minutes slowly, oh so slowly, swallow a live, suffering horribly fish, who may have then lived for a long period of time inside the snake slowly being dissolved, I can't say I'm too fond of them. Guess that's what they do with everything they eat- no quick deaths for them, make their prey suffer horribly for a long period of time. Cruelty incarnate. Yeah, I know it's natural, and they don't care, but it's still not something I want to encourage. Used to leave them alone, now I kill on sight. Unnatural selection.
    Wow... just wow. For someone who has such a grasp on dog behavior, you apparently have no respect for wildlife. First of all, the fish needs water to live. a) I doubt it was alive for 45 minutes while being eaten. It would have died of oxygen starvation. b) It wouldn't survive in the snake. c) snakes want their prey dead before they swallow it, the prey can seriously damage the snake if it's trashing while they swallow it.

Do you kill cats on sight? Cats hardly kill quickly, they play with their prey before killing it. Did you see the thread about dogs ripping open sheep? Does that mean you kill dogs on sight as well? What about wolves or big cats? They will rip their prey apart before it's dead. How about orcas? They play with seal pups (by play I mean violently throw around and bash open) before eating. Mamma's of almost all predatory mammals bring live prey for their offspring to 'play' with. Do you kill those too?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

1 members found this post helpful.

well, after watching a wild snake spend 45 minutes slowly, oh so slowly, swallow a live, suffering horribly fish, who may have then lived for a long period of time inside the snake slowly being dissolved, I can't say I'm too fond of them. Guess that's what they do with everything they eat- no quick deaths for them, make their prey suffer horribly for a long period of time. Cruelty incarnate. Yeah, I know it's natural, and they don't care, but it's still not something I want to encourage. Used to leave them alone, now I kill on sight. Unnatural selection.
    There are very few wild animals that show their prey "mercy". To them it's food, that's all.

I saw a garter snake eat a toad in a manner similar to what you described. Not a happy death for the toad, who was slowly swallowed feet first. But that toad had probably been very cruel to some bugs in its lifetime, so what could I do?

And I've seen my cats play with their mice before killing them, and watched many sad Nova shows where the zebra dies, or the killer whale gets the cute little seal....and the deer ruthlessly eat from my garden without a second thought about how my poor beets felt about it.

To say you kill snakes on sight because you think they are "cruel" is pretty embarrassing to admit. Snakes don't have a grocery store to go to with the meat all wrapped up in plastic for them.

Personally, I like snakes and know they help balance out the ecosystem. We had a big garter snake that lived under our deck that we named Nagini, but it disappeared at some point. Maybe it was too busy of a place come summer so it found a quieter home.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    I saw a garter snake eat a toad in a manner similar to what you described. Not a happy death for the toad, who was slowly swallowed feet first. But that toad had probably been very cruel to some bugs in its lifetime, so what could I do?
    Meh, you could have extracted Toadness from Snake's jaws or killed her and ended her suffering.

Your other argument, "Toad was 'cruel' to bugs so how could I justifiably intervene when she was getting eaten cruelly?" makes no sense if you already think there is no justice involved.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I'm terrified of snakes! With that said, I would never want to hurt a snake; even a venomous snake.

I think it's the way they move. The slithering really creeps me out. I also hate the way they pop up every where. I do realize that they are afraid of me and are moving out of my way, but still....I think my whole body freezes when I see one.

Most of the snakes here are garters. I know they are harmless, I know they are warm and soft and not slimy, but they still freak me out. My fear is so irrational, yet I can't really get over it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Meh, you could have extracted Toadness from Snake's jaws or killed her and ended her suffering.

Your other argument, "Toad was 'cruel' to bugs so how could I justifiably intervene when she was getting eaten cruelly?" makes no sense if you already think there is no justice involved.
    Clearly I am joking. I assume you are as well....

I did think, briefly, about liberating the toad. But it occurred to me that some damage had probably been done to the wee back feet, so what would be the point of freeing it unless I was planning on rehabilitating it.

Ah, the circle of life...

Quote Originally Posted by glitterless View Post
    I'm terrified of snakes! With that said, I would never want to hurt a snake; even a venomous snake.

I think it's the way they move. The slithering really creeps me out. I also hate the way they pop up every where. I do realize that they are afraid of me and are moving out of my way, but still....I think my whole body freezes when I see one.

Most of the snakes here are garters. I know they are harmless, I know they are warm and soft and not slimy, but they still freak me out. My fear is so irrational, yet I can't really get over it.
    Good for you for leaving them alone even though you have that reaction.

I have to think a snake taking a really long time to eat something can't be the normal way of eating, because it would make them vunerable.

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeMorgan View Post
    I have to think a snake taking a really long time to eat something can't be the normal way of eating, because it would make them vunerable.
    They have to swallow by moving their jaw back and forth, so it does take a while. If they feel threatened, they will regurgitate so they can escape.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    They have to swallow by moving their jaw back and forth, so it does take a while. If they feel threatened, they will regurgitate so they can escape.
    Oh, OK-thanks. Haven't really seen it-I like snakes, though.
    My Mom was raised on a dairy farm and impressed on me that snakes, like black snakes in barns, are a Good Thing.

I can't really explain it. I just don't like snakes. I am perfectly happy leaving them alone. I don't really like the live food thing either but I also have a cat who does every now and then play with her food. I don't like that people let them loose in places they don't belong in. Florida is a great example.
    There was something on Facebook about certain snake owners getting free or low cost dogs or cats to feed to their snakes. The picture wasn't pretty.

WOW^^^ really ?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I don't mind snakes. Wouldn't want one for a pet, but no problem picking one up when a cat was playing with it in the barn.

Common misconception--that snakes are slimy.

Shayaalliard, thanks for the clarification! I'd never thought about that before and probably wouldn't have figured it out if I'd tried .

eta: as far as "cruel" animals.. watch Animal Planet. Lions will start eating their pray as soon as they've got it down, while it's still alive.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    I can't really explain it. I just don't like snakes. I am perfectly happy leaving them alone. I don't really like the live food thing either but I also have a cat who does every now and then play with her food. I don't like that people let them loose in places they don't belong in. Florida is a great example.
    There was something on Facebook about certain snake owners getting free or low cost dogs or cats to feed to their snakes. The picture wasn't pretty.
    yes really. People troll Cl looking for free pets to feed to their snakes. Not to mention the dog fighters and other deviants doing the same.
    But back to the snakes........

I dont have a problem with snakes, and welcome the non venomous ones at the farm. I quite enjoy watching them. But if i see a cotton mouth or moccasin on my farm I will kill it if I can and the same goes for a rattler.
    I wish we could all coexist peacefully and if they would go on their way and not bite me or my dogs I would be totally ok with that. But its not like that. They have 40000 around my farm that is theirs. I have 5 acres that is mine. THey leave theirs for mine, bye bye.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

How large is the snake that eats dogs and cats? It must be honkin' huge.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Another Snake Myth/Question.

If you get bitten by a venomous one, do you suck the venom out of the wound, spit and call it good?

I'm talking about if you are outside with just a lighter, some duct tape and a pack of Cool Ranch flavor Doritos.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I have snake questions:

Do they show affection in ways that humans can appreciate?
    Constrictors will "Hug" you!!!!

Another Snake Myth/Question.

If you get bitten by a venomous one, do you suck the venom out of the wound, spit and call it good?

I'm talking about if you are outside with just a lighter, some duct tape and a pack of Cool Ranch flavor Doritos.
    Current first aid for venomous snake bites is to place a tourniquet about 2-4 inches upstream and try to keep the person relatively immobile to minimize moving the venom throughout the blood stream and then get to a hospital.

The razor blade/sucking thing long prescribed (I can remember my grandpa telling us we'd have to do this if we got bitten by a rattler) has not proven effective but I guess they have commercial venom extractor sucky things that can help.

We were taught to carry a pocket full of pebbles when we were out and about (in Wyoming) to toss at rock overhangs, behind fallen logs, etc to "test" for snakes. I'm not sure how effective that really was, but none of us got bitten. I nearly did once, but my horse helped me out of that pinch.

I wouldn't actively pursue killing a rattler, but we did kill quite a few that ended up in the garage in town. They'd come down for water when it got very dry in the summer. They taste pretty good.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

You are one sick, ignorant, uneducated cookie. I feel very sorry for you, because ignorance like this can't help but ooze into other aspects of your life.

I had someone leave their 3 senior cats at our pet store when they were "moving and couldn't take them". Whe put them out on the floor free to a good home. A customer asked to take all three to feed his python, and got irate when I said no. I threw him out, but it happened ALL THE TIME. People wanted to buy cheap dogs/cats as snake food or fighting dog bait. People wanted to buy parakeets, rabbits for their dog to kill to "play with". Buying a live mouse for their cat as a treat. I PROMISE if you give away your adult rabbit or guinea pig to a pet store or on CL, it will land in a snake or lizard belly. we policed it as best we can, but you will never stop them all. I have a bunny at home who is 13 years old now, that I bought myself to stop the snake guy from getting him- I was like "sorry this one is sold"
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 4 Cats, 1 Macaw, 6 (Former) Stepkids