The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Only a horse person...

Would bring their colt's "boys" inside and leave them in a container on the counter after his gelding procedure while pondering whether or not to put them in the fridge for SO to discover upon returning home from work...

The votes from the non-horsey men on FB - wrong and so, so gross. The votes from the horsey people in my life? HYSTERICAL

So COTH, what say you? Hilarious joke or taking things way too far?

Here's the little man post-surgery... Not his most attractive moment but gotta love the just woke up from a nap look

http://s78.beta.photobucket.com/user...1cd52.jpg.html
    Last edited by RedmondDressage; Jan. 16, 2013 at 04:53 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

'Content is currently unavailable'. It won't let me see it.

Sorry about that! I uploaded to photobucket and changed the link in the OP since FB seems to have issues even when photos are public.

Oh, man, when he fully wakes up.... then the suffering begins. He has a pretty head.

I think the FB men were sissies. What happened while you were at work? Did some indoor carnivore find a snack on the counter?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

I remember when my daughter told her first grade teacher that she threw the testicles on the roof! I was so proud she just proper terminology and didn't splat them on the side of the barn!

3 members found this post helpful.

I am the only horsey person in the family, except for an aunt/uncle/cousin. When I was in high school my dad got a phone call from the post office saying there was a perishable package waiting for pickup.

So he drove the 1/2 hr into town to pick up this package, from his sister...........

Confused by the contents, he phoned my mom. "They sent us a package. It looks like turkey gizzards."

She had no great insight, and it was a mystery until I got home from school.

"Well, they gelded Superman a couple of months ago!"

Parents were disgusted. I was rather fascinated. Needless to say the "boys" had been kept in my aunt and uncle's freezer for the education of my cousin's Pony Club palz.... and then shipped across the province to us as a joke .... they lived in our freezer for a while, despite my mom's disgust, until she finally had enough of my amusement and threw them out.

So I say...have fun!!! "Yes dear, that's tonight's supper!"
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks mvp, he's a pretty cute little guy although in a bit of a gangly growth phase right now. I'm always glad for that head during these times, reminds me of what will be He's awake now and out in the pasture. He has a tiny bit of drippage but seems no worse for the wear... In fact he's harassing my old man and cantering around as we speak! LOL. I'm glad, hopefully the exercise twice a day won't be too tough to goad him into.

BoldChance - that is HILARIOUS. I'm leaning toward the fridge joke at the moment but I'm pretty sure SO won't speak to me for a week Hmmmmm, it might be nice to have some quiet....

i was told it is good luck to throw them onto the barn roof. IDK why.. But can't hurt!

Nezzy, you made me smile. The first time I had a colt gelded was about 12 years ago. Before that I bought adult horses, but I was breeding by 2000. Anyhow, the female vet does the job and I put the new gelding away. She takes the discarded bits and chucks them on my chicken coop roof (we were doing the deed on the grass near the coop) and shouted "Long life and no colics!" I was a bit surprised. She assured me that's what they did in vet school.

When I told Mr IF about it, he said "She could have shown a bit more respect for his bodily parts." It is a more sensitive issue with men, I think. Anyhow, all future gelding operations have been without testicle hurling. Instead they get disposed of in a more dignified manner (ie buried in the woods).

I think some bird got a real treat off my chicken coop roof. The remains weren't there for very long.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

After our BO's Vet gelded two of her ponies, the vet tossed them to her dogs. "You do realize," asks BO, "that those dogs crawl into bed with me and lick my face?"
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

6 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Google & print a recipe for Mountain Oysters - leave on kitchen counter for SO....

My former vet in IL had a JRT he had to lock in his car when he did geldings.
    A fat JRT who would fight him for the "bits" if she were left loose.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I was at the vet hospital yesterday actually. (not my horse, hauling for somebody else) Saw "some boyz" in a bucket. No other fresh geldings around. Must have been a geld and go home.

Obviously, not all "boyz" are given a "good resting place" after their removal. The ones I took a gander at in the bucket appeared small (from the ones I have seen), so maybe not all "boyz" recognition are to be taken home with the "donators to the bucket" "daddy"/"check writer to the vet".

I know my husband would NEVER take some horses "boyz" home.

When my colt was gelded many years ago the vet threw his "boys" in the woods!! I guess the coyotes got them
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Well the SO got home unexpectedly and I didn't get them in the fridge to surprise him... I made him look at them though and he gagged

I almost disposed of them in the woods but then I figured who am I to fly in the face of an old horseman's tradition. So on the barn roof they went. The first went for a long life, good health, and soundness. The second went for a fantastic Grand Prix dressage career... I figure a girl can use all the luck she can get with that one!

Now I can only hope that the owls take care of them tonight... Or the crows in the morning. The sooner the better!

Aside from good luck, old time race trackers say they throw them on the roof as a gauge of healing. By the time the birds eat them or they shrivel away to nothing the horse should be healed.

Thanks for the clues about why they get thrown on the barn roof.

It was the first question I asked when the BO of the foal pasture where my colt lived called to say they had Done The Deed.

I knew they should go on the roof, but not why.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Wow! Live and learn. Never knew about the roof thing. Worked for a small animal vet when I was a kid. Needless to say we didn't chuck the cats man parts on the roof. Lol. Just in case you're interested, I would have voted for the fridge joke, but some do say I have a warped sense of humor.
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

Only a horse person ..... would be reading this thread.

Hey when they're in the bucket and you can count two , that's good news!

I am willing to bet only female horse people are reading this thread

As a vet tech and horse person I totally would have put them in the fridge. We have more than one eyeball sitting atop the pharmacy fridge at work lol. At my last clinic we had a massive jar with a boxer's heart FILLED with heartworms!!