The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best sights to see in Aiken & tack stores?

Taking a day trip (my first) to Aiken next weekend, curious if any COTHers can recommend an excellent tack shop preferably with a large selection of consignment?

Also, I love treasure hunting / antiquing - any recommendations of things to see and do in the area would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Oak Manor Saddlery! I've only visited a couple times but I'm quite a fan and they do have some nice consignment.

If you make the trip a little further over to Augusta (probably not but figured I'd mention) there's a store in Grovetown called "Old Frontier" (it's right up the road from Boots, Bridles, and Britches so you can get two for the price of one, though I'm not as big a fan of BB&B) that has a huge consignment section and I love going to poke through things and see what they have.

Also, as I told my mom the other weekend when we were in downtown Aiken, it is a town that did downtown "right". There's easy-to-read free maps on the streetcorners and signs pointing to all the stores and it's just generally a pleasant place to be.

We ate at the New Moon Cafe and I had a tasty sandwich and my mom got some nice bisque. Don't be scared off if the front part tables are full (they're kind of a small place), there's more tables in the back hallway and if it's nice, there's a few tables outside.

And we went to several antique stores right there on main street (among other neat shops too) and I noticed quite a bit of "horsey" things so they're definitely worth poking around in (I'm an antiques fan too).

You might also want to check out The Aiken Horse (their issues are online) and see if there's any cool horsey stuff happening that weekend.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Ditto on Oak Manor Saddlery- well worth a visit.

We had a great dinner at The Wilcox, a lovely old hotel in Aiken.

It's fun to drive around and see the very horsey neighborhoods with all the barns near the Hitchcock Woods. http://www.hitchcockwoods.org/

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

There is a brand new all consignment tack store right across the street from Highfields Event Center. Sullivan Saddlery I think? It is also next door to Noble Bread Cafe, which I have been known to go hundreds of miles out of my way to have lunch at...lol.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

New Moon Cafe is excellent, and there's a really good mexican place but I can't remember what its called. It's opposite the town hall.

We went into a beautiful store on main street but again I can't remember what its called! It was a bit too pricey for me but fun to browse.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    There is a brand new all consignment tack store right across the street from Highfields Event Center. Sullivan Saddlery I think? It is also next door to Noble Bread Cafe, which I have been known to go hundreds of miles out of my way to have lunch at...lol.
    Ooooh. Totally going to have to check that out.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Is the New Moon Cafe the place with the big windows on the corner in the middle of town? If so, we had a very good meal there, too.

There was also a good restaurant right around the corner from the Hotel Aiken, in what looked like a little house on a side street, but I don't recall the name of it.

New Moon is not on a corner. Magnolia's, Linda's Bistro, Casa Bella are all restaurants in homey settings in town. The most distinctive feature of Aiken is the old historic district in town with the "cottages" built by the rich and famous of yore. Think Newport, Rhode Island; Bar Harbor, Maine; Jekyll Island, Georgia (I think). These estates had gorgeous barns and the district is well preserved, still horsey and is a wonder to meander through. I've never seen anything like it, truth to tell. They've kept it all dirt roads and there are rider level buttons on the stop lights at the main road so that equestrians can easily cross to access Hitchcock Woods, a huge historic park with incredible endless groomed riding trials. Quite unique and well worth a look.

Track Kitchen for an early breakfast after watching the horses breeze on the training track. I mean early-horses head out at first light. Breakfast before 9
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

If you are here early (7:00 am), get out the the Aiken Training track and watch some of the young Thoroughbreds get worked on the track.

Have some of the best pancakes ever at the Track Kitchen. Don't let the looks of the place scare you off.

A stroll through downtown is a must. Check out Equine Devine and Aiken Dry Goods, both on Laurens St.

Lunch at Ryan's Market and Deli on Laurens St.

And Oak Manor tack shop just expanded with an addition to the store so definitely check it out.

Sullivans is the new consignment tack shop and is out Richland Ave. across from Highfields show grounds.

Wilcox is really nice for dinner but can be pricey. We like to stop some early evenings for a drink and some of their homemade ice cream. Yummy!