The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question First hunter show- Questions

Hi! I've been doing dressage, eventing and the jumpers and am comfortable in the attire department for those shows but I am entering a local hunter show next month and have no idea where to begin

First- it says jackets are not required. What kind of shirt should I wear? I have a nice FITS long sleeve show shirt that is plain white. If I wear that do I wear a choker or leave the top buttons open? Or should I just wear a long sleeve polo. If someone could post a pic of appropriate schooling show attire I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Second- do I have to ride in a half seat all the way to the fences? I usually ride in a half seat and then sit down as I am approaching the jumps.

MTA: Do I have to use a standing martingale in the O/F classes? My horse goes in a running but has never gone in a standing...

Also, what kind of saddle pad should I use? I have an OTTB pad that is white with a gold logo on it and also a Jockey Club TIB pad that is white with the logo on it... Should I get a plain pad to use?

TIA!

When in doubt, go with classic. A white shirt is always acceptable, and it should be buttoned all the way to the top, with a choker.

If you are using a martingale, it should be standing. Running martingales are a no-no in hunters. It has to be removed for flat classes.

Your position shouldn't matter too much, but you want to be sure that you are riding to get the best performance from your horse without being distracting. If you can ride lightly in a half seat, great. If not, I don't think sitting will be a big deal unless you have drastic body movement or an obviously driving seat.

A fitted white pad is probably your best choice for a saddle pad, though you could use a half pad. Square pads are not acceptable

You didn't mention it, but beware that there can not be boots of any kind on your horses legs.

1 members found this post helpful.

White shirt buttoned up with choker, tan pants (not white). No martingale is fine. Your position sounds fine, you do not have to be in a half seat. I wouldn't mess too much with your position if it will affect your ability to find the distances. Fitted pad only, no square pads. Have fun!!

Thanks!!

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha37 View Post
    Hi! I've been doing dressage, eventing and the jumpers and am comfortable in the attire department for those shows but I am entering a local hunter show next month and have no idea where to begin

Welcome! Hunters are where it's at.

First- it says jackets are not required. What kind of shirt should I wear? I have a nice FITS long sleeve show shirt that is plain white. If I wear that do I wear a choker or leave the top buttons open? Or should I just wear a long sleeve polo. If someone could post a pic of appropriate schooling show attire I would GREATLY appreciate it.

If you're going to wear the show shirt, do it up properly. If not, a neutral colored polo under a sweatervest or v neck looks sharp. A long sleeve polo is good too.

Second- do I have to ride in a half seat all the way to the fences? I usually ride in a half seat and then sit down as I am approaching the jumps.

Ride however you feel most comfortable. Don't worry about trying to look the part position wise. Correct riding is correct riding.

MTA: Do I have to use a standing martingale in the O/F classes? My horse goes in a running but has never gone in a standing...

You don't have to use a standing, but I wouldn't use a running. Go with no martingale.

Also, what kind of saddle pad should I use? I have an OTTB pad that is white with a gold logo on it and also a Jockey Club TIB pad that is white with the logo on it... Should I get a plain pad to use?

You most definitely need a plain fitted hunter pad.

TIA!
    Hope that helps! Good luck and have fun!

Even at schooling shows, in most areas people will wear a jacket unless its brutally hot. If not, a plain, white, longe sleeved shirt with the collar done up is fine.

Ride however you want. I also half seat around and will sometimes sit at the base if I need to. Hunters isn't judged on your equitation so ride in a way that gets you the best ride.

Running martingales are verboten. Standing are allowed but not required. If he needs nothing, nothing is fine. Otherwise, you should use a standing. No martingales in the hack.

Saddle pads should be white fitted fleece pads or a white sheepskin half pad. No all purpose pads.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

One other thing, no one has mentioned is the bridle. You want to go in a simple, classic bridle set up. Figure 8 is a no, dressage bridle is a no, some of the fancy double bits used in the jumper classes are a no.

I would recommend a D-ring or full cheek, plain/jointed snaffle with a slow twist at the most. I use a pelham in the over fences classes because I have a huge horse. In the flat classes, I use a snaffle.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

If it's chilly you can also wear a dark, (navy) sweater over your show shirt. Around here you will also see those argyle print sweaters (navy with white) and they look very nice!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Samantha, are you showing on the east coast or somewhere else? I ask because the perception about whether or not you should wear a jacket may change. Even the schooling shows around me (New Jersey) really recommend a jacket, unless it's really hot.

I've haven't seen anyone in just a shirt (unless its really hot) or a sweater vest, but I have seen one person in a long sleeved polo. They were a great rider and won so it worked out for them, but I did hear people making comments that they shouldn't have won because of their attire. Like I said, they rode really well so I think the judging was fair, but my view was definitely not universal.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha37 View Post
    I am of the opinion that even if it's a no jackets required, wear a jacket.

Ride however your horse goes best.

No running martingales in hunter classes. Go without if you don't think your horse will go in a standing.

Use a contour pad or a half-pad. One of the ones that looks like a saddle.

TIA!
    YW!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Are you showing next month, as in February? Are you in a warm climate? If not, I question the no jacket thing. Brr! If you are planning to show in just a white shirt!

If you have a hunt coat, I would wear it. If you are in a colder climate, you could probably get away with a dark (navy or black) sweater/ polar fleece over your shirt, or perhaps a nice winter jacket. But you might want to talk to show management to see what would be acceptable.

Just thought I'd mention that running martingales are not banned in hunter classes, but just so uncommon that you would look funny with one on your horse. Martigales are banned in flat classes/under saddle classes.
    Use a standing martigale or no martingale, if you want to fit in.