The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default saddle sizing question for the rider

I recently sold my saddle because it put my leg in such a bad position. As in it shoved it way out in front of me and I had to fight to keep it back. It was a flat seated 17.5 inch CWD with a 3L flap. I can post pictures later. I am 5'6", but pretty long from hip to knee. I'm wondering if going up in seat size to an 18 might help this issue. It happened with my last saddle too, but it wasn't quite as bad. That saddle was a 17" Amerigo Vega. Any thoughts on seat size, saddles that might work or flap configurations that might be good options?

I think seat size is going to depend greatly on the saddle you choose.

I'm 5'5" with a 33" inseam. I ride in a 16.5" Stubben Roxane. It fits me like it was custom made for me. My friend's 16.5" M. Toulouse is horrifically uncomfortable for me and just hits me all wrong. I'm not comfortable in it whatsoever. I'm not sure *any* seat size* in the Toulouse would fit me right. We are totally different proportions. She's several inches shorter than I am with a much shorter inseam. She LOVES the Toulouse. Same seat size, vastly different saddle.

Bump?

I would think you need a forward flap... I am not familiar with CWD to know if that was a forward flap, was it?

The 3L is slightly long, regular degree of forward ness. I know I definitely need something more forward.

I'm in the same position except with a 3C...CWD rep online just told me that I needed a 3L. I have sat in a 4C and it fit me beautifully. unfortunately, they are harder to come by used.

A picture might be helpful as well.

CWD rep is bringing my 3L 17.5" saddle out to replace my 18" Butet 2.5 (long, forward). I would definitely agree that all saddles are not made equal (18" Butet actually measures 18.25"), others like Hermes I believe may run on a smaller side, so it definitely depends on the saddler.

I can speak from experience that an overly large seat is hard to stay balanced in, just because there is so much room. So, I found myself landing between fences and instead of focusing on the next jump I was repositioning myself in the saddle. Very frustrating

Have you tried a semi-deep seat? That did the trick for me. It might help keep your seat bones in the correct position and your leg underneath of you versus out in front.

I've heard good things about Tad Coffins from some friends online, but haven't personally tried one out.

I wouldn't go up a seat size if I were you, instead I would just try to ride in ANYTHING you can get your hands on. (Tad Coffin Butet, Antares, etc.) until you find something you LOVe.
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

I'm 5'6" and I now ride in an 18" Toulouse with a forward flap. I think I have a leg similar to you. I've ridden some 17.5" saddles that my knee went over the edge in. Definitely try as many as possible. Good luck.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

My impression of the CWD, Pessoa and the Amerigo is that you need a longer flap and a more forward flap. I would try both a 17.5 and an 18 in a saddle with a long forward flap. You appear to have your knee at the front lower edge of the flap. The Beval looks the best of the ones you showed.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    I'm 5'6" and I now ride in an 18" Toulouse with a forward flap. I think I have a leg similar to you. I've ridden some 17.5" saddles that my knee went over the edge in. Definitely try as many as possible. Good luck.
    I'm in the same boat. 5'5" & I had to go to a 18 County with a forward flap.