The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think that you will find turnover goes up whenever they bring out a new model and people want to upgrade. The JES advanced was actually one of their intro level models way back when and hasn't been made for probably 10 years! I just upgraded my Wave for a new Obrigado - absolute H E A V E N !! [edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Jan. 22, 2013 at 06:23 AM. Reason: to remove advertising

Quote Originally Posted by 3s View Post
    [edit]
    I love brown! But I'll more than likely be buying the one I've been trying out.
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Jan. 22, 2013 at 06:23 AM.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I had a JES advanced and hated it; I could not get my leg in the proper position. The company also has atrocious customer service; I would never buy anything from them again.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by iloverocky View Post
    The company also has atrocious customer service; I would never buy anything from them again.
    They are legendary in my area

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    They are legendary in my area
    Yep, here too.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by 3s View Post
    I think that you will find turnover goes up whenever they bring out a new model and people want to upgrade. The JES advanced was actually one of their intro level models way back when and hasn't been made for probably 10 years! I just upgraded my Wave for a new Obrigado - absolute H E A V E N !! [edit]
    Aren't you married to the saddler?
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Jan. 22, 2013 at 06:24 AM.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

2 members found this post helpful.

I think a really important thing to note about a Schleese is that it is meant to be adjusted to horse and rider. I got a new Schleese last year and thought, "I like this, don't love it yet," but it was only fitted with wither tracings. Then Jochen Schleese fitted it to my horse exactly with me in the saddle and it was like a totally different saddle. It was superb. I got one for my daughter and Jochen took three hours to get it fitted to her horse (who turned out to be suffering from a degenerative spine disease, hence being so tricky to fix). This guy is really passionate about saddle fit. It is more than just hype. I recently got an Obrigado for my Spanish horse and he LOVES it and so do I. We plopped it on my daughter's warmblood, even though it is not fitted to her and she voted with shoulders free and all equine thumbs up. I think if you ride a lot, making sure your saddle really does fit your horse properly is worth the money. One more story: Our vet bought a very ordinary QH mare from us and started doing lwoer level dressage on her. She rode in a saddle that did not really fit the mare. Last ear she got a Schleese and religiously got it fitted. The mare is now a different horse, doing second level, moving her shoulders, has come up INCHES in her back. If a Schleese puts you in a chair seat, I would ask, "was that saddle fitted to the horse properly by an on-site fit? I am a big fan.

Oh they aren't legendary in my area for lack of saddle quality ... it was purely a service issue, i.e. pay your fee to book the next fitting, scheduled 3 months hence; 18 months later you are still booked for the "next scheduled fitting, 3 months hence" ...

I get wonderful service from the Schleese rep in this area.

I have a schleese jes with flaire. I used it on 2 high withered tb's, and an Arab I train. Before them I used it on a Hannoverian gelding. I find it is easy to have a good upright position, my horses seem to like the flaire panels. I was told when lunging you should use an elastic blanket surcingle to keep it from moving. My only complaint is it is brown and I'd prefer it to be black with bigger knee rolls lol

I've never tried a schleese jumping saddle though.
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

I rode in my teacher's Schleese dressage saddle whenever I rode his horse and m y two pieces of feedback are (1) I liked it more the first time I rode in it, less as I rode more and more and sat more. Weird? (2) He had a bunch of them and said that the quality of representative varied widely and he felt it was a crap shoot. I've heard that about several companies though. As for stirrup bars I'd say having them further back can be good but there are so many factors that affect your position and your conformation is a big part of that.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

Schleese is right around the corner (figuratively - about 45 min. drive) from my place, and have several friends who've worked for them.

Your fit is only as good as your fitter, so if you get one and have a problem, MAKE them send Jochen out. They have fitters that are as good as him, or at least have in the past - my current fitter who I LOVE was a former Schleese rep.

I don't prefer Flair - to me it feels like I have disconected contact with my horse's back but it has its place and some people love it.