The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gooseneck trailer, ball hitch question

I have a 28' goose neck trailer, a friend has a truck to pull it. Friend is a former mechanic. He uses my trailer, I use his truck, it's a sweet deal.
    I called him to borrrow the truck, just to move trailer a few feet. He said hitch was in back seat and told me how to put it on. It was very simple.
    Ball hitch is connected to a 5" heavy metal shaft, that's
    2" by 2" square with a hole on each side. I just dropped the shaft into the square hole in the bed of the truck. (I'm ASSuming the shaft goes through more than just the metal of the bed).
    Under the rear tire well of the truck was a metal rod about 1/4" thick, with a handle. I pulled rod out and over and it sprang forward through the holes of the hitch shaft. That's what holds ball hitch to truck.

I guess the forces on the hitch are more forward and backward, side to side. But if I drove over a big dip in the road, or over a humpy RR crossing, and the front of the trailer wanted to lift up, that 1/4" rod is the only thing holding the ball in the truck?
    Yikes. Please advise.

I'd ask this question of the manufacturer, which is (in all likelihood) B & W.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Yes, that is all the 'holds' the receiver ball in place .... that and the weight of the trailer. But don't let the diameter fool you; it is likely to be a very high strength metal, not something soft and easily bendable.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Default Be not afraid...

If the hitch is a B+W (which it sounds like) the 1/4 inch diameter rod is merely the handle. The actual locking rod is about 1/2 diameter. The rod when locked has two pieces in shear. Likely more than enough to completely pick up the truck by the ball.

Look at the 3rd picture in the FAQ "can't get my handle to stay out..."

http://www.turnoverball.com/faq/product/11061

The locking pin is much larger than the handle.

Yes, the locking pin is about a half- 3/4 inch - if you look at the lower part of the ball that drops in the hole you will see it has a hole drilled in it. The pin that fits there fits very snugly. Very secure. Love my B&W.

Thanks so much! I'm thankful for your wisdom.
    When I next see friend truck owner, who also happens to be my farrier, which makes him fair game, I will still have to give him grief over the small circumference of his rod. Can't help it