The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ear warts--seasonal sensitivity (update 2/12/13)

My horse has a small "cluster" of the white ear plaques. You can't really see them unless you looked into his ear, and it's more so in one ear than the other. He doesn't like this ear to be bent very much, so I take the cheek-piece of my bridle apart when bridling since he had major issue with this when he was younger. They don't usually cause him problems otherwise, but in the past 2-3 years, it seems that in the winter he shakes his head from side to side when riding (as if the wind in his ear is bothering him---kind of like a horse who is irritated with ear plugs does). A year or two ago I had the vet out and she gave me Animax ointment to do twice a day, but I don't think it really worked; I think it just pissed him off more than anything as after the treatment nothing changed--it only got better when the weather was warmer.

Anyways, I did some research and I do see that it's thought to be caused by a papilloma virus spread by flies, so there isn't much done to treat it unless there is a secondary infection (which I don't think there is). He doesn't have any raised, scaly pieces and I keep his ears clipped. Does anyone have any recommendations for easing sensitivity during the winter?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jlphilli; Feb. 12, 2013 at 02:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I have used a product called Dermafas with huge success for that. Have a very old dusty jar with a little bit left. I just tried to order some without success (retailer said manufacturer was out or something like that). But you might have better success.
    friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    I have used a product called Dermafas with huge success for that. Have a very old dusty jar with a little bit left. I just tried to order some without success (retailer said manufacturer was out or something like that). But you might have better success.
    Thanks! I see some on Amazon so I'll give it a try.
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Uh oh, I should have said... Amazon was where I tried and failed. I think the company got bought by NunnFiner. It is on their website. It is worth the trouble, it has worked every time for me.
    friend of bar.ka

Years ago I made the observation that when the afflicted horse was always turned out with a mesh that covered ears and eyes, the warts vanished. The eye covering was incidental to the ears. But they did look like a masked marvel.

I think it was from insect aggravation even though the ears were not clipped.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I emailed the seller and asked when it would be shipped and they said they would print the label out and ship it tonight or tomorrow--so I don't know if they have it in stock or if they don't know that they don't have it in stock yet, lol. I will find out!

I tried to order some too.... we shall see! I did see two different vendors from the one I tried. Let me know how it goes, especially if you get some and it works.
    friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    I tried to order some too.... we shall see! I did see two different vendors from the one I tried. Let me know how it goes, especially if you get some and it works.
    It was a success-- it was shipped! The seller was ProStudent770.

Dermafas worked on my gelding.

Let his ear hair grow out in the winter. My mare has these, but they don't bother her at all, but the one year I clipped her ears out before it got warm, her ears got VERY sensitive. She usually loves having her ears scratched, but with the cold, especially on windy, rainy days, she would refuse to let me touch the one for about 3 weeks. Even with ear hair, after a really bad, cold, windy rainstorm, she will be sensitive for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by kkindley View Post
    Let his ear hair grow out in the winter. My mare has these, but they don't bother her at all, but the one year I clipped her ears out before it got warm, her ears got VERY sensitive. She usually loves having her ears scratched, but with the cold, especially on windy, rainy days, she would refuse to let me touch the one for about 3 weeks. Even with ear hair, after a really bad, cold, windy rainstorm, she will be sensitive for a couple of days.
    Unfortunately I had to clip them for a show so leaving them fuzzy isn't an option, but either way he was doing the head thing when they had hair in them too (and they were really fuzzy since they had grown since his last clip before the winter).

I am going to try the Dermafas and see how it goes!

My mule developed one of these. It does not bother him at all and I can touch and rub on it ( he loves his ears rubbed on the inside). I did have my vet look at it when he was here and he advised me not to put anything on it as that can aggravate the wart itself and cause a problem. Maybe it tends to be sensitive in the cold weather? Although my guy isn't bothered in 20+ below temps, but his ears have hair inside them.

I just want to post an update and say that the Dermafas has worked great!! I wasn't even consistent about putting it on--pretty much whenever I went out to the barn before I rode (5-6 days/week). After about 1-2 days he stopped shaking his head during riding. He even liked when I put the ointment on, so I am guessing it has a soothing effect. I have stopped putting in about 1 week ago and even on the cold nights he is fine. Dermafas gets two thumbs up from me!

1 members found this post helpful.

I was able to order another jar too. Glad it is still on the market. Glad it worked for your guy! I had the same experience -- after a couple of applications, they seem to like having it applied.
    friend of bar.ka