The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun. 18, 2007
    Posts
    4,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    and at 25 limbs he is STRONG and can put up a FIGHT.
    I know that's probably an autocorrect, but I had to laugh at the image. I have a few times been in situations where I would swear a cat had 25 limbs with which to wrestle his way to freedom.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,983

    Default

    haha, lbs! But it feels like 25 limbs sometimes!!!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    11,162

    Default

    I can wear my siamese like a scarf, chuck him over my shoulder and jog around the house or pick up up and carry him around upside down. He loves it.



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep. 13, 2002
    Location
    Azle, Teh-has
    Posts
    7,749

    Default

    I think it just has to do with personality and how you raise them. I have a Selkirk Rex. (for those who haven't heard of them they are a mutant curly Persian mixed with Exotic Shorthair)

    He came to me with the all dreaded ringworm. uggggh. It was REALLY bad. The vets called him lightbulb kitty. : / Anywho, I had to bathe him every other day for a YEAR. He was also shaved quite a bit--I still give him a bit of a lion cut monthly.

    He learned to be a momma's boy during that time.
    He his quite the lap cat and is GREAT at being belly up. I'm a big kisser and he usually gets zerberts blown all over his belly too. He's cool with it.
    I've trained him to the point that if I walk in the door and don't directly go to him, swoop him up and smooch his nose he comes over to me, sits down and screams at me until I do.

    coolest cat EVER. He's really messed me up. lol

    Here is a good photo of him. Shows his curls pretty well. He's shaved here though. He's a long hair. But you can def see his smooshy Persian face!!
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...aboom/JT-1.jpg
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2008
    Posts
    7,338

    Default

    I have a seven-toed domestic that goes limp when we pick him up -- not just docile, but plain limp. Weird. We tell everyone he's a "North American Limpercat."

    Here he is with his movie-star good looks: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=3&theater



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    I think it just has to do with personality and how you raise them. I have a Selkirk Rex. (for those who haven't heard of them they are a mutant curly Persian mixed with Exotic Shorthair)

    He came to me with the all dreaded ringworm. uggggh. It was REALLY bad. The vets called him lightbulb kitty. : / Anywho, I had to bathe him every other day for a YEAR. He was also shaved quite a bit--I still give him a bit of a lion cut monthly.

    He learned to be a momma's boy during that time.
    He his quite the lap cat and is GREAT at being belly up. I'm a big kisser and he usually gets zerberts blown all over his belly too. He's cool with it.
    I've trained him to the point that if I walk in the door and don't directly go to him, swoop him up and smooch his nose he comes over to me, sits down and screams at me until I do.

    coolest cat EVER. He's really messed me up. lol

    Here is a good photo of him. Shows his curls pretty well. He's shaved here though. He's a long hair. But you can def see his smooshy Persian face!!
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...aboom/JT-1.jpg
    And let this be a lesson to the rest of you!

    A cat who is systematically abused never gets to learn how to say No. He just puts up with whatever happens next.

    These animals are very useful on a ranch. Most of the time, it's that we don't want to put in the hours it takes to break a cat.

    purple, I also like the "over the head of the other cat"-view your cinematographer chose here. Very mis en scene (if I got my frenchie art-speak right).
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,983

    Default

    I dunno about the nature v. nurture argument. I raised all my cats the same and only one's a floppicat. I think a lot of it is just their natural predisposition and personality and although your handling can make them more settled/relaxed with handling-- some cats flop and some don't.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I dunno about the nature v. nurture argument. I raised all my cats the same and only one's a floppicat. I think a lot of it is just their natural predisposition and personality and although your handling can make them more settled/relaxed with handling-- some cats flop and some don't.
    Nature can be overcome. I'm telling you. But it takes time and commitment. A cat can be worn down, like water on a rock.

    ETA: Come to think of it, most cat training must be of the Water/Rock variety. Rarely does a CTJ meeting stick with a cat.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2008
    Posts
    7,338

    Default

    I agree, mvp, eventually they all go floppy with enough repeated effort. For example, my non-North American Limpercat informed me she will be floppy some day...when she's dead.

    She is staring at me from my lap right now, comfortably relaxing...but unamused and definitely unlimp.



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Nature can be overcome. I'm telling you. But it takes time and commitment. A cat can be worn down, like water on a rock.

    ETA: Come to think of it, most cat training must be of the Water/Rock variety. Rarely does a CTJ meeting stick with a cat.

    You think I don't break these cats in???

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCPkRObpItQ

    I break them IN. Some just don't go flop, no matter how much abuse you heap on them. Some have a little more dignity
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    You think I don't break these cats in???

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCPkRObpItQ

    I break them IN. Some just don't go flop, no matter how much abuse you heap on them. Some have a little more dignity
    Which cat is doing the whining-- the upside down one or the upright tabby on the side of the bed? For my taste, the whining while being harassed would stop.

    I take it the upside down one (who is, I note in passing, of excellent size), isn't broke to your satisfaction?

    What do you want to be different?

    Oh, and I think the petter is petting too fast for the pettee's taste. Slow that down to give the cat a chance to see that he's at the center of the universe while exposed, and that he likes it. In this scenario-- cat has already submitted some, kitteh just learns to endure. But this cat is past that phase in his training. Now you want him to like it.

    Or your point is that Broke Bigness will do this, but won't get flappy on you? He doesn't extrapolate from Bed Flappy to On You Flappy?

    In that case, you need to back up and make the whining stop as well as make your petting of him more cat-centric. The whining means he hasn't accepted the flappiness in his deepest core of being. The not petting him his way while he's on his back keeps his guard up--- like he might die if you change your mind, or you guys are playing. Also, he hasn't earned relaxing petting for all his efforts to be exposed and flappy.

    Kitteh may have holes in his education. You don't see these until get to the higher levels, yanno?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,983

    Default

    The ragdoll is screaming. He is not featured in the video. He is angry any other cat is getting any attention. The cat being pet is just purring. The tiger slightly stage right is sitting silently.

    The pettee is exceptionally wellbroke. He's my flopper. I post that to show that I do rough these guys up. Despite similar harassment, the other cats just don't flop. One says it's not ladylike. One says he's too nervous about being dropped. The ragdoll just gets angry.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,294

    Default

    Maybe the ragdoll cat doesn't like being compared to a rag doll. No dignity and yada yada.

    The broke cat is an excellent example, as well as being of a satisfying size. IMO, getting a cat large enough is half the battle. That one can do the "flying buttress" technique where the (um) fat slops down to the bed and provides support for the rest of the body while it rests upside down. It helps that cats don't have withers, but they still have shoulder blades and have a hard time staying upside down without the Fat Buttress Architecture.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,983

    Default

    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,294

    Default

    [QUOTE=vxf111;6794370]I have various plans for what to do with excess catfat...


    I took the liberty of looking at that cat's whole portfolio.

    Some observations:

    The cat's head is the same size as yours. The one standing up picture reveals his body to be the size of a goodly briefcase. Put on a shoulder strap, and you are good to go.

    Putting those together, will this cat do your taxes for you? He looks like he could..... if he were so inclined. Which he is prolly not.

    And he as a lot of fur. If you get him wet, does he shrink down to something pathetic?

    All in all, that's a good lookin' cat.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,983

    Default

    He is, in many ways, quite an entertaining cat. He's also quite a stubborn and uncooperative creature. If I told him being a suitcase was in his best interest-- he'd do it all day long. If he thought for a second it'd benefit me-- he'd stop, refuse, and scream. Good thing he's ungodly good looking.

    He is not an accountant but he is my associcat, and helps "review documents" (lie on my papers) when I work from home in the evening

    When wet, he doesn't lose much volume. 25 lbs of cat is a lot of fur but even more FAT.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,983

    Default

    I have never had him fully wetted but there was an occasion once where he had to have a BumBath (TM) and it was surprising how much cat was still there with all the fluff on the "chocolate end" wetted down.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    If I told him being a suitcase was in his best interest-- he'd do it all day long. If he thought for a second it'd benefit me-- he'd stop, refuse, and scream.


    He is not an accountant but he is my associcat, and helps "review documents" (lie on my papers) when I work from home in the evening

    When wet, he doesn't lose much volume. 25 lbs of cat is a lot of fur but even more FAT.
    The bolded part: That's the key to Cat Training. Really, that's the key to animal training, but with cats it's harder since the use algorithms to calculate the degree of present- and future benefits to themselves. Most animals don't have this kind of analytics available to them.

    I am glad the he's "on it" with respect to important documents and paperwork. Too many people whine about having lost horses' registration papers, titles to the vehicles they'd like to sell. Having a cat means you never have to do that. For all others, I'd ask "Well, did you look for 'em? Did you look under the cat?"

    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I have never had him fully wetted but there was an occasion once where he had to have a BumBath (TM) and it was surprising how much cat was still there with all the fluff on the "chocolate end" wetted down.
    I think a half-wet cat is worse than an all-the-way wet cat. And all-wet during the drying process sucks as well. How long did it take this one to dry after the Bum Bath (TM)?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2003
    Location
    Middleburg, VA
    Posts
    12,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    You think I don't break these cats in???

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCPkRObpItQ

    I break them IN. Some just don't go flop, no matter how much abuse you heap on them. Some have a little more dignity
    "Tut lay there like a slug, his only defense."

    He's like a turtle! He can't roll off his back!!! I thought one of my boys was big!!!

    And, apparently, my cats are completely unbroke, especially the little one. Their little buttheads to run the household.



Similar Threads

  1. ragdoll personality?
    By suz in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct. 13, 2012, 05:36 PM
  2. Limp tail on a cat
    By anna's girl in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May. 15, 2012, 12:05 AM
  3. looking for a ragdoll kitty
    By suz in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Dec. 31, 2011, 11:24 AM
  4. Two Ragdoll Cats for Adoption
    By alacrity in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Oct. 24, 2011, 01:47 AM
  5. Purebred male 1y/o ragdoll in Raleigh, NC
    By apachepony in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Oct. 30, 2009, 07:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •