The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default spinoff from the B. Livingston DRF photos

Didn't want to change the subject on the original post, but had a question about one of the pictures. About 2/3 of the way down is a head shot of a horse named Noverre. (bay with a big white face)

Does anyone have any idea what kind of bit that is? I have never seen one like that. Any guesses on how it functions differently from traditional race bits (such as snaffles, bauchers, etc)?

Here's the link again: http://www.drf.com/blogs/2012-memoriam
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Wow, that is odd. I'm also curious to hear what the others think of that.

I wonder if it's actually a boucher, just hung on the bridle wrong. It looks like it may be a rubber mouthpiece, with an aftermarket curb strap...

Not a baucher. Unless it's upside down, and backwards. See where the cheekpiece attaches? If you turned it over that should be where the rein attaches, and it would be on the wrong side of the ring. I have a pretty extensive bit collection, and I've never seen one like that. Definitely a european thing.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Actually I believe it's more commonly a standardbred thing...although I have seen them on several TB's up here lately. It's a Braden Direct bit: http://www.jacksmfg.com/details.asp?product_id=1613

Alysheba also used one.

http://www.heraldleaderphoto.com/der...d-as-champion/

Scroll down to 4th picture
    Last edited by keepthelegend; Jan. 20, 2013 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks Dans and keep for the links! Well, at least now I know what it's called. Now I just wonder what the little tab where the mouthpiece joins the cheekpiece is supposed to do... Definitely funky and different looking bit! If it helps with control (since it's called a "direct bit"), I wonder why more trainers on this side of the pond don't use it more often.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Do many racehorses go in a figure 8 noseband? I don't remember seeing that very often.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Do many racehorses go in a figure 8 noseband? I don't remember seeing that very often.
    Some do.
    Off the top of my head in fairly recent history, I believe Blame raced in one.

I agree, I've been seeing more and more horses in figure 8's. They usually use the rubber noseband though, instead of the traditional leather ones you see in the show ring. (prolly for ease of cleaning)

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    It's actually pretty common. Todd Pletcher uses them on almost everything.

Quote Originally Posted by realrush89 View Post
    Thanks Dans and keep for the links! Well, at least now I know what it's called. Now I just wonder what the little tab where the mouthpiece joins the cheekpiece is supposed to do... Definitely funky and different looking bit! If it helps with control (since it's called a "direct bit"), I wonder why more trainers on this side of the pond don't use it more often.
    I've a feeling that I've added this in another thread.
    In any event.

from Dec 9, 1914 "The Horse Review":

The Braden Direct bit is a combination of the Woodmansee and Cane bits. Nearly every horse that sidereins carries his head to one side. The principle of this bit is that when the horse turns his head, say to the right and pulls on the right rein it brings a pressure of the prong of the left side of the bit against the left side of the mouth. This diverts his attention from pulling on the right side, and when he releases his hold there lie finds the pressure of the left prong is released also, and if a sensible nag, will, with a little experience, drive straight.

Thanks, wildernessD!