The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

We have a mare that was very neglected in her past; she's low on the totem pole and protective of her food. We keep her by herself and make sure she never has to fight for her food. Even then she'll look 50 yards away and ear pin and fake kick the other horses but it's harmless. I understand.

We have a draft cross that was very down on his luck before us and he is patient patient patient and then he just chomps if another horse gets in his food. Again, I understand, and most of the horses he's around seem to grow to understand.

They can't know that it's all ok now... some trust the habit and some never forget that they were denied food.

We usually do as Bluey said, feed the big bunch all hay. If we have someone that needs special food or attention they get a small pen.

I am patient with whatever I get. Tincture of Time, like G said... it moderates all of it.

Screw up post. See below
    Last edited by bird4416; Jan. 18, 2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: I'm a moron
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I have a horse that was very starved when I got him. Here is a pic of him the day before he came to my farm.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    He has the best manners and is a total gentleman to work with. He is not food aggressive and is actually quite picky. He gets a diet of alfalfa pellets, small quantity of beet pulp, orchard/alfalfa hay and lots of grass. He developed a thyroid adenoma about a year after I got him but the vet says its benign and doesn't seem to bother him. He is 21 this year and quite a pistol.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.