The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Recommend an ATV?

Any recommendations on good atv's that are reliable? Don't mind an old one...as a matter of fact can only afford a used one right now... only need it to drag my small ring... and maybe some trail riding now and then.

Or... can I get away with my cub cadet riding lawn mower to pull a small drag? I have a tractor, but its got the finish mower attached and I don't want to have to change it out every time I use the tractor...
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

Default Love my Polaris ATV !!!!

Love my POLARIS ATV ~ purchased it brand new eight short years ago and never have had any trouble with it ~

my wheels of choice for pulling manure spreaders the small and medium one....

and for dragging the indoor arena ~

and roaming through the woods / developing riding trails ~

Just a whole bunch of fun!

Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

1 members found this post helpful.

Really happy to hear you like the Polaris. That is the most affordable ATV out there and I might be able to get one new this year...

I have a 1992 Kawasaki Bayou ATV, 220CC's that I use here on our small acreage.

I bought it when i was 14 years old....I'm 31 now. It's been with me a LOOONG time.

It pulls a 10-foot wide (HEAVY) arena drag without any problems when I'm in the pastures or riding arenas. Only time I have problems is when I cross the driveway with it and I lose traction. I for sure need new tires.

If you're looking for -cheap- you can't go wrong with the Kawasaki KLF220/250 bayou. They're around here on craigslist for 200 or 300 bucks and darn they run and run.....

However, I'm looking at upgrading for tax purposes this year.... pretty short list for me, see below:

2004 or newer Polaris 700 (Twin cylinder motor)
    -these things never die, very cheap comparatively

2005 or newer Arctic Cat 700
    -again, cheap and very solid

2007 or newer Arctic Cat Prowler (UTV)
    -Very impressed with my dad's, good local dealer
    -really good price

My wife has a 2006 Polaris Ranger UTV that she loves too -- i'm looking for something a bit more hardcore that can maybe take some hooliganism

If you are not wanting to go ATV sporty, do get an UTV with a box in the back.
    It is worth, with what you can haul around in those.
    They are not as aggressive to get around as the ATVs, but much more practical for so much on a farm.

1 members found this post helpful.

We are on our 3rd Polaris. Each time we shopped with an open mind on brands, options, etc.. Each time we ended up with a Polaris. The first one was pretty beat when we got it and it eventually died a motor death but was worked quite hard until then. The 2nd is still running and is used pretty hard. We use it for feeding horses, pulling a drag around the arena and barn yard, moving empty farm wagons, hay racks, fencing, etc. The newest one hasn't done enough work yet to give it a rating other then it's pretty. lol.

Mattv - sending you a pm...

When we put in our arena, we bought a big harrow for our tractor, but I don't drive it (it is old and nothing is marked, and I just don't feel safe operating it so SO does that). I do use our newer Cub Cadet lawn mower (garden tractor, whatever you call it...big enough I can haul our manure spreader with it). I have not done it yet, but my arena guy said I could use it to drag the ring with a smaller, non PTO harrow. But it might not have enough traction for year round use. I've thought about getting a gator or an ATV but just can't justify the cost for something I'd use just to do laps in the arena (guess that applies to a horse too...!). I want to find a small harrow for the mower and try it out, or get brave and start driving the tractor. Maybe I can use a label maker to mark all the knobs and switches. I can't get over seeing my SO come flying out of it last year after finding a yellow jacket nest behind the seat (after using the tractor for quite awhile...they got warmed up enough to wake up!). I think it is cursed.

We've had a Polaris, which was fine, and dh now has a Kawasaki which has been not bad at all. Our Honda Foremans, however, are total workhorses. Never break down, tough as nails, go anywhere. That's what I'd get.

I'm amazed to see all the recommendations for Polaris, perhaps mine (worked a grand total of maybe 6 months in the 2 years we had it) was just a lemon after all.

Honda ! Honda! Honda! Never break down, tough, strong, and as well balanced as you can be on a vehicle like that. Have one that 25+ years old and still goes.

Only bad thing is their price never seems to drop much, no matter how old!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I've seen my share of Honda Foreman ATV's with destroyed transmissions. In the end, all brands have praises and curses.

Biggest thing - get a service manual and do the maintenance or make sure you have a reputable mechanic to do it for you and help you out when things break.