The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default hennig new/used

I got a new/used hennig from one of the high-end saddle dealers on the web -- manufactured in 2012 and sold by owner who said it hurt her back. The new saddle was a MN, it was adjusted to a MW by the dealer for my horse. My barn uses a particular saddle fitter who sells a competitor of Hennig. He came out on a regular visit and I asked him to look at the Hennig, which I'd ridden in for several months. He would not work on the saddle, saying that Hennig's cannot/should not be adjusted, too much complicated stuff going on in the tree, and that he did not want to be held responsible for my "mistake" in having the saddle adjusted. He did not say specifically how the saddle did or did not fit.

Isn't the Hennig supposed to be adjustable?

Yes. Fully adjustable and really not complicated.

What needs to be done on the saddle!?
    If you've been riding with it for months, I guess it might only needs minor adjustments?

I, personally wouldn't let anyone adjust the tree of the saddle unless by a reputable saddle fitter who are use to do that (schleese, hennig) but for regular check up and flocking, any competent fitter can do it. I have access to a County rep here that does it for my Hennig saddle.

Sorry but your saddle fitter is...weird.

1 members found this post helpful.

The tree had been adjusted to my horse but not really the flocking, plus the tree was adjusted "long distance." I really just wanted someone knowledgable to eyeball it. I'm happy with it, and the fitter's response was surprising. An independent saddle fitter will be out to take a look soon. I wondered if Hennig had recently done some sort of NASA-style modification that isn't to be tampered with.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Yes. Fully adjustable and really not complicated.

What needs to be done on the saddle!?
    If you've been riding with it for months, I guess it might only needs minor adjustments?

I, personally wouldn't let anyone adjust the tree of the saddle unless by a reputable saddle fitter who are use to do that (schleese, hennig) but for regular check up and flocking, any competent fitter can do it. I have access to a County rep here that does it for my Hennig saddle.

Sorry but your saddle fitter is...weird.

Hennigs can be adjusted - not sure why your fitter said otherwise. Some of the older models (and I'm sorry that I can't remember the years they were made) had titanium head plates that didn't hold up to being adjusted - perhaps that's what he was referring to? Also, most fitters don't like to adjust trees on saddles they're not "ok'd" to work on, since in some instances it will void your warranty.

I am having my Hennig adjusted by Jochem Schleese at the end of this month, at a Schleese clinic. My horse has buffed up, and I think the tree needs to be slightly widened. Schleese does saddle-fitting clinics all over the country, and for $150, you can have a whole fitting (ie, they will check it out on the horse, with you riding, adjust the tree and also the flocking for a perfect fit). The downside is that you have to bring your horse to the clinic, rather than having them come to you.

Spart, You should double check on the price of the fitting. Schleese is almost always $350.00 before it is all said and done. I am speaking from experience. $150.00 is just for the measurements of you and your horse. The rest (tree adjustment, flocking, repairs if needed) are all ala carte.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by Maude View Post
    Spart, You should double check on the price of the fitting. Schleese is almost always $350.00 before it is all said and done. I am speaking from experience. $150.00 is just for the measurements of you and your horse. The rest (tree adjustment, flocking, repairs if needed) are all ala carte.
    This has been my (recent) experience as well. I was charged $149 for the evaluation and $196 for the adjustments that were needed. This was listed as the "blended fee" on their invoice.

For the record, I felt this was a good value, as it allowed me to take a used saddle I'd gotten a very good price and have it custom fit to my horse.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Yeah, that's not true. I just had my (independent) saddle fitter out and he was saying how Hennigs are his absolute favourite saddle to work with because of how adjustable they are.

I own one of the original mono-flap Hennigs and REALLY wish it was adjustable. Even the saddle fitter (from Hennig in Germany) was like "wow, this was probably one of the first with the one flap!". Still looks and rides great, though!

I found another saddle fitter (one that is independent, not a particular brand seller) and he adjusted it without a problem. Unfortunately I think this is a case of trainer/barn"prejudice" against anything that is not not a [insert name of manufacturer that this barn uses]. I'm being pressured to sell this saddle, having only ridden in 8 times, before it was even adjusted. What a turnoff -- but that's a whole nuther thread.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by hALTatecks View Post
    I found another saddle fitter (one that is independent, not a particular brand seller) and he adjusted it without a problem. Unfortunately I think this is a case of trainer/barn"prejudice" against anything that is not not a [insert name of manufacturer that this barn uses]. I'm being pressured to sell this saddle, having only ridden in 8 times, before it was even adjusted. What a turnoff -- but that's a whole nuther thread.
    Glad you found a fitter that was able to adjust it for you! I've been in those situations where I wasn't using the barn's "preferred" tack and it's a bummer.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

So just be direct

My saddle fits me, it fits my horse, I love riding in it, I will NOT be changing my saddle - as far as I'm concerned this discussion is now closed.
    If I feel dissatisfaction in the future & wish to consider other saddles, I'll let you know.

Default yup!

Hi,

The saddle was not the only issue with this barn. Suffice to say that the problem is now resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    So just be direct

My saddle fits me, it fits my horse, I love riding in it, I will NOT be changing my saddle - as far as I'm concerned this discussion is now closed.
    If I feel dissatisfaction in the future & wish to consider other saddles, I'll let you know.

Hi,

The saddle was not the only issue with this barn. Suffice to say that the problem is now resolved.
    Good for you to stand your ground!

If the saddle fits you and your horse, the brand shouldn't matter!
    And Hennig is a very high end brand of saddle. I LOVE mine. You trainer is just jealous!