The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Top of the line"

This may be a dumb question, but what does it mean when someone says a pony is "top of the line"? I've heard some people say it's a height thing, a large medium, large small, at the top of its size group. But I've heard other people say it means its best of the best, which I think is generally true when talking about non horse things. Am I the only one who's heard two differing opinions on this?

I take that as meaning high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by upnover192 View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but what does it mean when someone says a pony is "top of the line"? I've heard some people say it's a height thing, a large medium, large small, at the top of its size group. But I've heard other people say it means its best of the best, which I think is generally true when talking about non horse things. Am I the only one who's heard two differing opinions on this?
    It means an up to height small/medium/large, at least in my neck of the woods. So if I said X pony is a "top of the line small" I would be implying that X is 12.2h. So on and so forth for "top of the line" medium (13.2h) and "top of the line" large (14.2)

Hope this helps!
    Lorelei Welsh Ponies - Visit us on Facebook!
    Breeding show quality Welsh Ponies for the hunters, dressage, in-hand, and more!

2 members found this post helpful.

Lol! so... seeing how the two responses I've gotten so far are saying the two different meanings, I can assume it can mean either or?

It's a height thing. Top of the line means as tall the pony can be without going up in size. So a top of the line large would be 14.1 1/2 to 14.1 7/8. It has nothing to do with the quality of the pony
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

2 members found this post helpful.

In horses, it always refers to the top of a height division. Outside of horses, yes, it means top quality. But if an ad read "For Sale: top of the line large pony" and a trainer got there and the pony was barely 14 h, they'd have every right to be pretty PO'd.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Ditto the above - it's a height thing. Its what every pony breeder strives for, since they usually have an easier time making the step.

The height thing has always made the most sense to me, especially when talking about something where bigger is generally better. But I noticed that some people seemed to be using it to mean the "nicest" so I got confused! If that's what it means in the non-horse world it makes sense for the confusion. Ok, I will continue to use it how I thought! Thanks for the clarification!

I understand it to be pony is the maximum height pony can be for their division (ie 12.2, 13.2, or 14.2)

I always took it to be a reference to height.

I always thought it meant that the pony would always pin high in the conformation. As in, always in the front/top of the line-up. But height makes sense also...
    Last edited by JustEquit8; Jan. 16, 2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: SP

Height, not quality. The pony is very very very close to the maximum height.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Always height. It means that the pony/horse is as big as it can be for its division. So a small pony hunter that measures 12.2h is a top of the line small pony. A small pony hunter that measures 12.3h, but has a permanent card saying it is 12.2 will also be advertised as a top of the line small pony. A 12.0 small pony is not top of the line- even if it is flashy and wins in good company.

Height.

I take it as height, but since a lot of the time people link height with quality in ponies (a bigger pony may have an easier time getting down the lines, a fancy large who is 14.1 1/2 would be worth more than a pony of equal quality who is 14.0) it makes sense that it implies quality as well (rightly or wrongly.)
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

It is referring to height only. Has absolutely nothing to do with quality.

Many ponies will finish "top of the line" but only be "children's ponies" not "division ponies," which is your real indicator of quality.

1 members found this post helpful.