The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Buffalo Leather Care

I recently purchased a used Antares saddle with full buffalo leather. The saddle is a little lighter than I would like, so can I oil it normally like I would with a full calf saddle?

Also, is there anything special about caring for a saddle with buffalo leather?

The buffalo Antares drinks more oil, IMHO. There is a recent thread about this, but in a nutshell, oil is your friend! And, yes, if you got the medium color it will darken nicely and change from orange to a warm dark caramel with no orange tones.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I have a full buffalo saddle and I have found it darkens well with oil without getting too dark but it will suck up a ton of oil. I only use leather therapy wash on mine because it's PH balanced and I baby my saddle a little haha. I also use effax products to oil and condition. I've owned my saddle for a year and a half and it still looks brand new

I have a buffalo saddle and I was told not to oil it at all. If you oil it, supposedly it can get a wrinkled appearance or bubbled appearance over time--perhaps soaking up too much oil as the previous poster mentioned? I was told to only use a balsam (sp?) to condition it. I have been doing this for the 6 months I've had my saddle (purchased new) and it still looks brand new. I'm not sure what you would want to do for darkening, but this is just what I've been told regarding the oil. My recommendation would be to contact Antares to see what they suggest.

ETA--Mine also came with the conditioning balsam that was recommended to use with it--if yours came with oil or some sort of conditioner, you may just want to use that.
    Last edited by jlphilli; Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: spelling typo
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I have a buffalo saddle as well, but I oil it all the time. The antares people gave me a bottle of oil with the saddle and I oil it as I see fit. It's fine. Normally I just clean it after each ride and cover it.

I have never had buffalo leather but have read several times not to oil it, I have no idea if that is correct information or not. I would check with Antares before doing anything, just to be sure. Most of the buffalo saddles I have seen have a very wrinkled, unattractive appearance though, they look almost too dry, so maybe jlphilli is correct in what she says about not oiling.

I contacted Antares and they said to oil it, like a calfskin saddle. I went ahead and oiled it and some weird, random spots appeared on the seat that weren't there before! The spots are inconsistent and of various sizes, so not just that buffalo leather spotting some saddles get. The rest of the saddle oiled nicely, but the seat really didn't change color at all.

Any suggestions to get the seat darker to match the rest of the saddle?

You could use a darkening oil, but im wondering does the seat look that bad compaired to the rest of the saddle?nI have a crosby pdn that has a lighter seat then the rest of the saddle, its just a lighter brown and dosnt look that bad but is it like that or is it like way off and really needs to be darker?

I have a CWD buffalo/grain saddle. It's two years old and I can count on one hand how many times I have oiled it. It came with CWD conditioning cream (I use this on all of my tack) that conditions and darkens leather nicely. When I do oil it, I use Effax, I also use Leather Therapy Wash to clean it. Mine came orange and has ended up a beautiful, rich dark brown. My saddle looks brand new and never looks dry or wrinkly.

Not sure about the spotting you are seeing on the seat, maybe try one more light coat of oil. If it is still there, I would contact Antares. Good luck!