The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Delightful, Well-Behaved, Horse-Friendly Coon Hound Needs Home! Located in York, PA

We have a wonderful mature male coon hound cross that was dumped at our farm last Friday, seeking a home. He is well-behaved, doesn't jump up on you, responds to "sit" command and needs a home yesterday....this is the second hound dog dumped at my house in 2.5 weeks. I have 4 small elderly terrier types and cannot move a large active hound into my household. He seems to be housebroke - I am keeping him in the barn and he waits to potty until I tie him outside on his lunge line. I have tried to get him into 2 different rescues and it just hasn't worked out on their end, so I am getting desperate. I don't want to take him to the local pound if I can avoid it, dogs just don't seem to ever get adopted there. Anybody interested in giving this great dog a home?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...psa8fed1fd.jpg

what gorgeous markings!..........sorry, i am no help, with 4 dogs of my own............but i'll ask around.................does he bay/bark much?

Oh my goodness, this is the exact type of dog I have been looking for. He is gorgeous!

How do you think he would be around 2 smaller dogs? About 25 lb each.

How cute is he?! He looks like a Black and Tan mixed with maybe a Blue Tick?

Concerning small dogs - the morning he turned up, we let our little dogs out without realizing he was around the corner of the house. Mine are halfways blind and deaf so they didn't see him until he ran up to them and he was nothing but friendly and tail wagging. Mine, of course, being the little drama queens they are, ran screaming for the house but not for anything he did, they were just startled to see a big new dog during their morning constitution!

I'll send you a PM when I get home tonight, I've been casually looking for a dog I can have with me at the farm. He just might fit the build.

Do you have any idea how old he might be? I know it can be hard to tell haha.

He is a mature, done-growing adult, but not older. I'd guess a few years old? Loves to play and snuggle.

My Bailey, "the best dog in the whole world," was a blue-tick coonhound....so I just had to give your post a bump. He's super cute, that's for sure. The thing about coonhounds is they will give you their whole heart and soul, they really are wonderful family dogs. I could never, ever trust mine off leash, but if that was her only flaw, then I consider that she was perfect.

Good luck - someone should grab this delightful guy!
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

If you don't find a home for this handsome boy let me know. I have a friend who has a rescue and a special place in her heart for hounds of all types.

I just sent his picture to a few people in the York/Cumberland county areas.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

He is handsome! If I was closer I would love him if he's still available. I've been on the hunt for a hound for a while!

Got a call last night that animal control had a missing report that matched my found report....don't know if the owners took that long to file the report or if animal control is that far behind on their reports. But, long story short, I returned Dog to his rightful owners. Hope he is warm, happy, and loved tonight and they don't let him get away again. Thanks all who offered refuge to this lost pup!

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh, that's wonderful!

From volunteering at a local shelter, the "missing report" can be very informal, indeed, so it may have just taken that long for the match to have been realized. I'm sure the owners were delighted their dog had such a caring person keeping him healthy and safe while he was missing.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson