The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

She is really eating 10 lbs of grain per day?!?! Find out how many calories per pound. I would definitely be adding some alfalfa hay to her night hay & more hay at night.

I am a hunter pony breeder. From what you are saying, it is my opinion that the pony mare needs more hay. If you are up North, (I am in Florida) you don't have any grass for her to pick on at all. Those in the barn get hay in the early am, then around 10am, and around noon. When my barn manager leaves at 2:30 we make sure they have hay in front of them. None of mine are overly fat at all. Each pasture gets hay that is good quality. The weight, IMHO, will come from the hay, not more grain (unless she is not getting enough grain to begin with). Hay is an expense on a farm. Everyone thinks it is the grain.....nope.......its the good quality hay!!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a senior TB who came to me skinny about a year ago, and we worked hard to put the weight back on him through spring/summer/fall. For various reasons I finally switched him in November to a low-NSC diet (TC Senior and Carb Guard) and have been absolutely blown away by the difference. Within 2-3 weeks some of the lean spots that I thought would just always be there had started to fill out, and he has been getting significantly less grain that he was on the higher NSC feeds. We've now completely dropped the oil from his feed and I'm hoping to take him off the Body Builder he has been on. And all of this in in New England in the winter! I had waited on the switch for a long time because the TC Senior I wanted was not offered at my boarding barn and I'd have to buy it myself on top of his regular board, but now I'm kicking myself because it would have been no more expensive (if not a little cheaper) to have bought the good feed and not had to add oil, BB, and pro- & pre-biotics all this time! He also gets as much orchard/timothy hay as he wants, a couple pounds of soaked beet pulp each day, good FEC and regular deworming, teeth done last spring and rechecked this fall, mountains of blankets, and U-gard 2x day. But the TC Senior was the last little kick we needed to get him up to the condition I really wanted!

Delta I had to lol I was raised in a mentality of they'll figure it out.... and watched a lot of vet bills being paid. You are right though, I think the thing that bothered me the most is that my mare(not the skinny one) has always been low in the pecking order since i've owned her and now watching her beat the crap out of everyone makes me scratch my head.

OP posted as I was... 10 LBS O.O My horses would be total basket cases. I really don't think your BO/BM would have an issue giving her more hay either, as long as she ate it. Also do you have any current pictures? So so so many horses are overweight and obese in america. My mother is continually culprit of telling me how her horse need to gain weight when he's already pudgy imo. To me it sounds like your concerned about preventing further weight loss though; so the above may just be my own little personal rant to myself

I type so slow.... Ignore me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    since some folks posted and missed this, here are some pics.
    BTW this is her about two weeks ago. Still OK weight wise, but losing.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=1&permPage=1

this is her in october actually a tiny bit overweight...
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

this is her when we first got her
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I am not alarmed by her weight right now, but I do NOT want her to lose more, and I fear her getting as thin as she was when we got her, which was shoulders, hips, backbone showing. She is a show pony and i like to keep her in good weight, which for her is a delicate balance, because she cannot carry alot of weight without looking FAT with a big old hay belly because she's so refined.

I do think hay is the key, I am working on it with BM.
    rats of course now the pic links aren't working

Quote Originally Posted by Stushica View Post

OP posted as I was... 10 LBS O.O My horses would be total basket cases. I really don't think your BO/BM would have an issue giving her more hay either, as long as she ate it. Also do you have any current pictures? So so so many horses are overweight and obese in america. My mother is continually culprit of telling me how her horse need to gain weight when he's already pudgy imo. To me it sounds like your concerned about preventing further weight loss though; so the above may just be my own little personal rant to myself
    I shoudl also say, this is a forward TB style pony, so no I don't want to do anything to ramp her up. This is all new to me, I haven't owned a horse since i was 18 (and am more than double that now!)

they worked for me.. I just think we're posting at the same time lol

ha ha ^^^ ok well good

Here are a whole bunch of ideas, pick and choose as you like! When I got my TB years ago, I dutifully gave him scoops of grain mix (local stuff, sounds like yours, oats and corn) because he was on rough board in winter for the first time in his life. He wintered "ok" the first year but still looked rough in March. Fast forward a few years, different turnout situation, better blankets, and he was down to a handful of low starch pellets and free choice hay and wintered nicely. Fast forward a few more years of successfully being maintained like that, and the weight MELTED off him last winter, as in, I was scared to take off his blanket every night to see what he looked like that day. Got him a stall, put him on Ultium, discovered a tooth problem, addressed it, and we pulled him through the winter. Dr Grass took over in the spring, and the Ultium and different hay finished the job. This winter he's on "old man rations," various soaked things that get enough roughage into him while being easy to chew.

So, the ideas in that rambling paragraph: sometimes quantity of grain mix doesn't equal quality. I love Ultium. It's pricy but it puts a really nice bloom on them and gives them just the right sparkle in their eye. Finding hay that he will eat will always be a challenge - does your pony eat whatever's put in front of her, or is she picky? Look for a tooth problem - it could be subtle but a big deal to your pony! This winter we've added soaked hay cubes and beet pulp, which makes me feel better because I know that even if he won't eat tonight's hay (same bale as last night's but you know...) he's getting some hay-like-product and a whole bunch of water. Maybe an added expense, maybe useful - probiotics?