The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
    Since I fill up 4 water buckets and a trough, I would have to make tie loops for each one to tie the hose down or keep the sprayer attached for weight.

I just realized I need to get a plastic shut valve for the end. Then I can stop kinking it. It's been a learning curve to figure out the best way to use it.
    You might just get one bigger spring clamp, use it to attach the hose to the trough or bucket for keeping the end quiet while filling. I get spring clamps and find them real helpful for hose holding into the tank, among many other uses. They clip feed salt bag shut, so it doesn't absorb water from the air and get hard or turn into water in the bag. Clips the front of a cooler closed on a damp horse while he dries. Clip holds the regular hose end in place while winding it up on the hose cart every day.

I got mine at Home Depot, for $1 or so. HOWEVER you might want to try opening the clamp before purchase. Some have HEAVY springs that take two hands to use, not fun. I found other clamps, that are not so hard to use at the hardware store. Sure are helpful around here.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, goodhors!

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Thanks for hunting that up for me!

However, I was hoping for the type of hose in that original thread, but it looks like that place in Canada is the only place to get one. After reading the most recent posts, I might just do that and take a chance.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    After seeing that thread, I did some googling and found this. FlexAble Hose. Has anyone used one?

http://www.flexablehose.com/

No I'm not a reseller or affiliated with them in any way.
    I was wanting one of these hoses, then started searching for reviews, it got TERRIBLE reviews! I was so disappointed, I really wanted one of these expandy hoses. The reviews said they just don't stand up, the cover leaks and it's almost immediately, and even when used over grass (not like in dragging or using on rocks or concrete) so it sure wouldn't hold up for "farm use".
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I just bought one from a booth at the Denver Natl Western Stock Show. It is blue, and in the barn right now, so do not remember the name. 25 feet and $25. Unfortunately, when I returned home, I found the main water line to the barn had frozen after several weeks of sub zero nights, so not using the hose for awhile. Digging new water line tomorrow. Hate winter.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

In case you're interested in the hose couplings from the original thread, here are a few links. (Same company's product, but the shipping costs are a little less from the second link's site.)

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=682

http://justhosefittings.com/category...-Couplings.htm
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Review time....I......LOVE......THIS.....HOSE!!!!!!! Used it for the first time Monday and then knowing it was going to be dropping down to arctic temps left it in my trunk at the barn to see how it would be the next morning.

This morning it was about 18 degrees without the windchill and the hose was soft and pliable and easy to maneuver around. Hooked up to hydrant and filled water tanks no problem.

Yes the end will whip around if not weighted down or being held when it has water running through it. I think that is mostly due to the fact that there is almost no weight to the hose.

I love the fact that it weighs almost nothing, becuase of the boarding situation I am in, I do not want to leave it sitting out by the hydrant so having it so easy to coil and carry is huge, fits right in my tack trunk and takes up almost no space.

Couple of tips, the first time you use it, open the hydrant very slowly. Since the hose is coiled so tight when it is shipped it really twists and kinks the first time water goes through it. So by slowly filling it , it gives you a chance to get it straightened out. The 2nd day it was easy to lay it out before charging it so pretty much no problems the 2nd day.

I am not using quick disconnects so cannot comment on how those will work with the freezing temps, but using it without them so far it is working as claimed.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

My husband got us a "heated" frost free hose this winter for the barn. It has a plug that you plug in if you need to thaw the hose out. Takes about 20 mins to thaw if it's seriously frozen. We don't keep it attached to the hydrant to be sure the hydrant clears fully so it doesn't freeze, but in general the hose works wonderfully. I've even put it out the window of the barn to the outdoor wash stall a couple times over the winter and it works great. Today our high temp was 9F. To clarify the water does not get warmed up, just the hose.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

well, temps here have seriously DROPPED.......had a drip or two of water frozen in the connection end of the hose that didn't drip out ,despite being hung upside down..........no biggie, just breathed into connector,and fastened to hydrant............

my hose runs across the yard and some of the driveway to get to the barn, so to keep it from being driven on, and to help it drain, it is perched on top of the bird feeder post mid-wayto the barn.........and despite the fact that having the hose hanging in the air,exposing it on all sides to wind chill below 0, nothing has remained in the hose to freeze..........i love it

Thanks for the review updates guys. Much appreciated.

FYI - We ordered the no freeze hose from the Canadian vendor on 1/16. As of today, 2/2/13 - no hose, no tracking number - and worst of all - ZERO response to two emails inquring about the order status. Buyer beware; contacting my credit card company on Monday... Boo.

A friend of mine who just gone one gives it rave reviews as well.

Sorry to hear of your issue, SilverDrache. I don't want to rub salt in your wounds but...

We've just had a week of rather chilly weather (single digits overnight, wind chills in the negatives and highs barely making double digits), then a brief warmup and now getting cold again. I mention this because the hoses have been performing very well. Someone who was resisting using the new hose to water the indoor tried it this week and is absolutely smitten: lightweight, auto-draining, flexible. We may need to get more!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDracheFarm View Post
    FYI - We ordered the no freeze hose from the Canadian vendor on 1/16. As of today, 2/2/13 - no hose, no tracking number - and worst of all - ZERO response to two emails inquring about the order status. Buyer beware; contacting my credit card company on Monday... Boo.
    SilverDrache, what email address did you use? The first time I emailed them I used the one that came with the order receipt and never got a response to that one. Make sure you use the barns2go.com email address. Once I used that one, I got a reply back within a day.

I know I ended up waiting about 4 weeks for my hose but it was worth the wait. It arrived just in time for the week of arctic temperatures that we got and it performed like a champ. I even left it in my trunk in the freezing cold as a test and when I went to use it, it was soft and pliable and any bits of ice that were left in the hose were pushed right out as soon as the hose was turned out.

Supposed to be cold again this week and I am looking forward to not having to do the bucket routine to fill the outside water troughs!!!
    Last edited by LoriO; Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: can't spell
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

I'm thrilled to hear everyone enjoying this hose & that it's performing the way it's been advertised.

I definitely want one - especially after wrastling old Mr. Hose in & out of the basement these past few wintry days - but seeing as it seems to be taking around a month or so for folks to actually receive the item, am thinking I'll stick this winter out with old Mr. Hose & order the new wonder hose during the summer sometime when hopefully the company is under less stress.

Default Ours froze

OK, I'm confused. Our no-freeze hose froze after sitting, coiled, in the barn and no coaxing would get the ice out of it. We followed instructions when we disconnected it. What are you folks doing to keep it from freezing? Is anyone else using 100-foot lengths?

I contacted the seller and they told me to contact the guy THEY ordered it from. I went to the seller's web page to check their return policy and saw they have posted a notice saying they have had a large number of problems with the hose and their dealer, including defective products.

I'm very frustrated, but so many of you love this hose that I'm wondering if we did something wrong.
    What's Horsie in the Twin Tiers? Find out here:
    http://thetwintiershorse.blogspot.com/

Former user name: GilbertsCreeksideAcres

Default Spinoff of the no freeze hose thread - Amarillo peeps check in

I hope the people are snug and cozy waiting it out.

The gods don't like your state for the past three years I wonder why.

First a livestock devastating drought and now those that are left have to contend with a blizzard.

Good luck. Stay safe. Cold can kill and you don't get much of it there.
    Perhaps some tips posted from our northern COTHers might help
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwinTiersHorse View Post
    OK, I'm confused. Our no-freeze hose froze after sitting, coiled, in the barn and no coaxing would get the ice out of it. We followed instructions when we disconnected it. What are you folks doing to keep it from freezing? Is anyone else using 100-foot lengths?

I contacted the seller and they told me to contact the guy THEY ordered it from. I went to the seller's web page to check their return policy and saw they have posted a notice saying they have had a large number of problems with the hose and their dealer, including defective products.

I'm very frustrated, but so many of you love this hose that I'm wondering if we did something wrong.

I'm using the 100 ft one, not that impressed, its a hose. I do like the fact it is lighter weight and easier to "wrestle" but found that if you don't hand drain the hose after use it does freeze. The first time I used it I just disconnected from the faucet and it went flat and I thought OK it drained, the next day it was frozen. I did knead the hose as best I could to try to break up any ice and after about 10 minutes it cleared itself. I have great water pressure but feel this hose lessens the flow, it could be that I am not used to the pressure of a longer hose but when I remove the nozzel the hose flattens even with water running through it. Not going to return it, it was cheaper than buying 100 of black rubber hose, it is lighter and easier for me to handle so I'll just work with it until it gets holes in it, live and learn. BTW it is kept outside on the ground near faucet, it will be hung once I get the hose holder installed.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Has anyone tried the heated hose bags? You (presumably) drain the hose as you coil it into the bag and plug the bag in. Wondering how rufty tufty the bag is.

Once again - thanks for the updates guys. I'm kinda thinking I'm going to pass completely on buying this hose after all. Unless we're expecting a blizzard or a long spate of day-&-night sub-freezing temps, I'll continue to drain Mr. Hose as usual. As it is, I've only had to drag him into the basement to thaw only twice in the last 2 years - & both times it was actually my own fault.