The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    A hose you have to take in at night is just a hose.
    Oh, golly, thanks for that Laurierace. Made me laugh so hard it scared the dogs. Very true too.

2 members found this post helpful.

I bought the Xhose thinking it'd be nifty to be able to wash vehicles & horse trailer and not have the hassle of coiling a hose up to put it away.

that part works -- it does indeed shrink up

HOWEVER, you do not get decent water pressure from these!! not at all. These might be useful to water a lawn, although I have to wonder if they'd keep enough water pressure on to run a sprinkler.

Cool idea, but didn't life up to expectations. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Which hose do you have Mayfair?
    I've got the no freeze hose from the other thread. It is just a hose...but being lightweight, and self-draining, picking it up and taking it in is easier than a regular hose.
    Last edited by mayfair; Jan. 23, 2013 at 01:03 AM.

hmmmmmmmmmm..............i am NOT a dealer for the hose, nor do i receive any compensation........lol...just a disclaimer

i GOT my no freeze hose from barns2go..............before christmas........i ordered it, couldn't find any shipping status, so i called, and left a message..........BRENDA called me back, said parts of it were backordered.......i could wait, or i could cancel.......thanked her for calling, and said i would wait.........few more weeks, i get another message that things are held up at the other end............THIS time, i sent an email, thanking her for keeping me in the loop, and yep, i still want the hose......................then i get a chatty email from her, thanking me for my patience, how she is sleepless over worrying about these unfilled orders, everyone is giving her a hard time,etc....they were shipping ones that had been listed as christmas gifts..................
    i emailed again, thanking her......
    late christmas eve afternoon, around 530, the mailman came to my never used front door with what looked like a frozen pizza!..it was the hose just all wrapped in clear shrink wrap..........

i emailed her to let her know it had arrived, and thanked her.......she emailed back LATE christmas eve, said she had just finished packing orders, and i should get in touch with her if i had any problems or questions, and she had some handy tips for using the hose.........
    i use the hose on a hydrant, and it is fine.........at first i didn't open it up allthe way, but finally put the handle all the way up,and it is fine..great pressure.....
    my hose ends have NOT frozen, but this may be the reason why....the force of the water had the hose end dancing all over the place, often hopping out of the water trough, so i tied it tothe paddock gate....the end of it hangs down,so it drains very nicely,,,,,and at the hydrant end, i unscrew it, and hang it through the hydrant handle,again, it is hanging down, and it drains...................i haven't taken the hose in at ll....sometimes there is a bit of ice in the hose itself, but the water just pushed it along ,and it melts..................

personally, i love it.......very lightwgt, fills the trough quickly enough, and i haven't experienced any freezing, and the temps at night have certainly been low enough

3 members found this post helpful.

tallyho, I might try what you're doing...I have a screw top hydrant, so no handle. But I might rig something up to hang the hose ends down and see if this gets the water out of the fittings so they don't freeze. That has been my only issue with it- besides the jumping all over effect so it needs to be tied down or have a weight on the end (which is easy to fix).

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Can't find anything but heated hose on eBay. What did you search under? I tried "no freeze hose" and "freezeless hose".

Thanks!
    I'd have to look for it. Give me a bit and I'll look. I found it while looking at things for my shop. I hope I saved the search, usually, things are saved.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

I FINALLY got mine, and of course it hasn't really frozen since then. It's pretty squirrelly when you turn on the water, it doesn't stay where you put it.
    I can't even really give an opinion on it yet, except yes, it is light.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    I FINALLY got mine, and of course it hasn't really frozen since then. It's pretty squirrelly when you turn on the water, it doesn't stay where you put it.
    I can't even really give an opinion on it yet, except yes, it is light.
    As I think I already asked on the previous thread, am wondering if putting one of those heavy brass "stop valves" at the trough end would weight the hose down enough to stay put in the trough? Or do you think that would just turn the hose end into a lethal weapon?

Wow! Good to find this thread as the old one disappeared before I could give my "product review".

I have NO connection with the company other than buying and now using their product.

I received my hose about a week ago. I had ordered in early December, as I recall. We will only be going into deep freeze weather this coming week, but we have been using our hoses in all the situations we intended.

- We have a 50 foot hose for our barn with a quick disconnect at the hydrant. So far, everyone in the barn loves it, although we've had to learn to drain it slowly (think 45 seconds instead of 10) or the person at the end would get soaked. Our previous hose was standard rubber on a wheeled cart, and gave great service, but it was hard to crank up the hose and took some muscle to push it around. The No Freeze is a snap to loop up once it's drained, and we just carry it to the heated tack room. So far a very high rating for this product in this application.

- We also got two 100 ft hoses to water the indoor. I chose to get two 100s rather then one 200 so that we could use them in different ways during the summer if we needed. I also went with the smaller diameter, which might have been a mistake. We have quite good water volume and pressure from the hydrant at the indoor, and the 200 foot hose filled rapidly. When the nozzle was opened, the initial burst of water had good pressure, but it quickly dropped off. It was still functional, but it'll take an extra 15-20 minutes to soak the indoor as far as I can tell. Be aware that the hose will collapse (flatten) if you don't support the portion leading up to the nozzle, and it tended to kink when first unrolled. Once I had used it for half an hour or so, the kinking decreased substantially, so that might be a function of the tight coil it was shipped in. However, the hose is so lightweight that I could get it in and out, hooked up, drained, and put away in the heated tack room by myself (despite being quite unsound at the moment). This was well-nigh impossible with conventional hoses. And unlike the flex hose mentioned above, it was really easy to rinse the wet dirt from the indoor off the No Freeze.

Am I glad we got it? Yes. Is it perfect for this application? No, but I think I can improve performance with a little tinkering (changing to a nozzle designed for low pressure will probably help). Again, possibly the larger diameter hose would have been better.

We all LOVE the cam-lever quick disconnects that we bought with the hoses, and will be on the hunt for some more readily available. (Just in case anyone knows a good source, please PM me!)

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    As I think I already asked on the previous thread, am wondering if putting one of those heavy brass "stop valves" at the trough end would weight the hose down enough to stay put in the trough? Or do you think that would just turn the hose end into a lethal weapon?
    I'm not sure that will be enough. I'm thinking of attaching a very short 'real' hose to the end of it (especially since I measured wrong and it doesn't make it to my last stall, ugh) to make it more stable.
    I doubt seriously I'll use it year round, but since I don't have water in my barn yet, and it has to go the 75' from the house spigot, I believe it will be good for that.
    It sure is annoying though to know that the first post was a sales job.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    I'm not sure that will be enough. I'm thinking of attaching a very short 'real' hose to the end of it (especially since I measured wrong and it doesn't make it to my last stall, ugh) to make it more stable.
    I doubt seriously I'll use it year round, but since I don't have water in my barn yet, and it has to go the 75' from the house spigot, I believe it will be good for that.
    It sure is annoying though to know that the first post was a sales job.
    See, that's my setup too - hose is run from the house spigot out to the barn & my paddock troughs. I still have to measure, but "think" I currently have two connected 100-footers, or maybe one 50 & one 100; I'm not sure. Luckily, last year & so far this year it's been warm enough - especially during the day - where my current leak-fest of a hose hasn't frozen solid, but I do need a new hose to replace the duct-tape-holding-hands one, & am thinking this one may fit the bill.

I wonder how it would work if I just bought ONE 100-foot one & connected it to the still-good 50 or 100-foot regular hose I have? Sort of as a test drive?

Site does say to get the large diameter, 3/4", if you purchase the 100ft or longer hoses.

I am greatly encouraged by the positive remarks from you folks! I may be putting this on our "Needed equipment" list. So far it seem like if you drain the end attachements, there is no hose freezing that stops water flow. Hanging ends isn't hard to do. We are also working with a couple hundred feet of hose and winding it up on a nice hose cart to keep in the (above freezing) tack room overnight. We only need to water once a day, fill the stall buckets just before they come in and top off the tanks.

Thanks for all the comments, good and bad, so we will know what we are getting into should we purchase this brand of hose.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    We all LOVE the cam-lever quick disconnects that we bought with the hoses, and will be on the hunt for some more readily available. (Just in case anyone knows a good source, please PM me!)
    Do they look like These ?

Ooooooooo!! I bought some cam connects like that, though mine are a heavy heavy duty nylon. Called Gator grips or something. I'm all for the metal ones, though. They really work well. I never have a dripping connection with those, have them on all my outside water troughs connected to the floats.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Hey there Trubandloki and Over the Hill.

Yes, they look like that but they are some plastic/nylon material with brass cam levers. The Gator ones are quite close. Where did you buy yours OtH and what price range?

We try to avoid aluminum fittings on our hoses because the mineral content in our water is so high that aluminum corrodes and you can't get things apart anymore.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Try this.... mine are green and I bought them at TSC, but not something that they carry all the time.

http://www.qcsupply.com/commercial-i.../fittings.html
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

My hose arrived today...yeah!!!! Next week temps are supposed to get really cold so I'll see how it goes. I am at a self care barn where we share the work and I am so tired of going to water and finding that someone else forgot to drain the hose that I decided to get my own to use. The fact that this drained flat and weighed so little is one of the main reason I got it. I wanted something that would be easy to carry out to the hydrant ,use and then roll up and take back to the barn with me and easily fit in my tack trunk or in my car.

Will let you all know what I think next week once temps drop down to freezing again!
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post

I wonder how it would work if I just bought ONE 100-foot one & connected it to the still-good 50 or 100-foot regular hose I have? Sort of as a test drive?
    That's kind of what I"m thinking as well. With the no-freeze hose, at least I'm gauranteed to get water TO the barn, where I can carry some buckets and it's not a big deal, like carrying buckets from the house. But day to day when it's not super cold I may leave the short real hose attached to the end of it.
    It's definitely easy to carry around, I'll say that for it.
    www.dleestudio.com

I've decided it's just as easy to continue coiling the hose and taking it in vs. rigging up a way to drain the ends. It is a snap to coil up and throw in the garage. I carry it to two different hydrants and fill up various water troughs/pans for horses and poultry so I have to move it anyway. As the days below freezing go by, I am more and more thankful to have this hose. I may be ruining it- but I kink the hose, turn on the hydrant and carry the hose to the trough, then unkink it. That gets around the flying all over the place problem if you set the hose in a bucket or trough and run back to turn on the hydrant. Since I fill up 4 water buckets and a trough, I would have to make tie loops for each one to tie the hose down or keep the sprayer attached for weight.

I just realized I need to get a plastic shut valve for the end. Then I can stop kinking it. It's been a learning curve to figure out the best way to use it.
    Last edited by mayfair; Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM.