The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ground Pole Hunter Classes?

What sort of "fences" do you have in ground pole hunter classes at local schooling shows? Our local association rule book says 3-4 obstacles to be trotted, but all the videos I am seeing online have obstacles of just one or two poles.

I'm actually asking about a local combined training and jumping schooling show, but I can't find anything at all online about ground pole show jumping.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I always thought that was no jumping at all, that you're just trotting over poles.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

It's probably two poles on each long side and it might be just once around the outside or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by caughtintheact View Post
    It's probably two poles on each long side and it might be just once around the outside or twice.
    That is what the courses my daughter did were like. I thought they were a wonderful way to safely introduce them to the idea of going into the ring alone and going around a course. They had to steer and use their corners and even do a courtesy circle. The only thing I didn't like is if the horse actually jumped the pole and landed and cantered they were marked down.

A hard class to judge. I want the horse to use the corners and maintain the initial pace. If the horse/rider trots the whole course at an even pace, that is better than trotting to the pole and cantering after. Still, safety is paramount. This is a great class for kids who have never entered a ring and a good confidence builder.

Our shows do one pole on the ground between jump standards, three "jumps" along each long side, and the course is twice around with the kiddos doing courtesy circles.

The micro x-rails is the same "course", and they really are micro!

Quote Originally Posted by caughtintheact View Post
    That's how it was when I was a kiddo. You were supposed to go around twice, but once, no one clapped after my second time around, so I went around again. I guess when I was 5, clapping was the only way to know I was done!

3 members found this post helpful.

Thank you all very much!

Cookiewoo--One of the videos I saw, on youtube, showed a lovely trotting round--the horse did refuse at the first "fence," but after that trotted steadily in what I guess could be called a "hunting pace" and from the look on the horse's face at the first rail I think the refusal was more a "What the heck is this?!?" than anything else.

I appreciate all the responses!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

We ran an all beginner show a couple of times - the ground pole classes had a variety of 4-6 poles per "jump".
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

We have this class in one of our beginner divisions. We basically break down the regular jumps on the two outside lines and put poles there instead. It's usually 1 1/2 times around--our in gate is about 2/3 of the way down the long side, so they go in and get their pony past the judges stand and start at the line furthest from the judge (no courtesy circle). They end by doing that line again, then have a circle before going out. We find this course is best to keep the gate moving, because there can be some real moments with some stinker school ponies!

It definitely helps build confidence and get kids in the ring who might really only be once a week lesson riders that don't have their own horses, but who are ready to move up from the flat-only divisions.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Wow this class brings back such memories! It is a great wat to introduce your child to being in the ring alone. Our classes always had the two outside lines, you started with a courtesy circle and went around twice. We always focused on using the ring and riding the corners and keeping a steady pace from start to finish. Here was our daughter during her first poles class.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nitto2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	37516  
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiewoo View Post
    A hard class to judge. I want the horse to use the corners and maintain the initial pace. If the horse/rider trots the whole course at an even pace, that is better than trotting to the pole and cantering after. Still, safety is paramount. This is a great class for kids who have never entered a ring and a good confidence builder.
    No kidding on the judging part, although I found that if I stressed straightness down the line and quality corners (that which should be the foundation of a good hunter round at any height), it got a bit easier. They were all trotting. Executing a straight line to, between and away from the poles. Not so much.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

1 members found this post helpful.

Seen a couple around here. They're twice around the outside with two poles in between standards on the long side. Sometimes the riders circle before/after, sometimes not, depending on the show.

I've only seem them judged as equitation classes though. Never hunters.

Some shows say "may trot or canter". Some just say walk/trot.

They're mostly ways to get newbie horse or riders into the ring all by themselves. Which can terrify youngsters of either species!

The local Combined training and dressage club in this area did a schooling series and one of the divisions for the Combined Tests was "Tapole". You did a WT dressage test and the stadium was set up like a course: two outside lines with a couple of single fences (one each diagonal) and one single at the end of the ring. I rode her in a nice forward consistant trot, made planned turns to the different "jumps", rode to the center of all the jumps. In other words made it look like a course of jumps. Must have been a good plan as I won both times I showed in this division.