The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Show Ring Fashion?

I wanted to take a poll of hunter/jumper people and see how people feel about specific trends
    Euro-seat, low ride breeches?
    colorful, monogrammed chokers?
    colorful liners in jackets?
    etc
    what is your biggest pet peeve and favorite trend in equestrian fashion?
    Also how do people feel about the TS quilted C belt?

1 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Having sat in the judge's booth all summer long as a show announcer, I did not notice what breeches brand, jacket maker, choker monogram or boot style a rider had on...and neither did the judge. If it fit well, was the usual color and didn't come flying off over a jump, it simply was part of the bigger picture. I discussed this with a judge during a lull in the action and she commented that it just didn't matter to her: the whole thing becomes a blur after awhile, the horse/rider and the performance are all that matters.

Sorry-I just think the hunter fascination with faddish clothing/boots/helmets is overtaking the importance of the performance. Make it fit well, make it match the "regular color" of the sport (tan breeches, darker coat, black helmet/boots, gloves) and you're good to go!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

19 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Sorry-I just think the hunter fascination with faddish clothing/boots/helmets is overtaking the importance of the performance. Make it fit well, make it match the "regular color" of the sport (tan breeches, darker coat, black helmet/boots, gloves) and you're good to go!
    I agree. My pet peeve is low rise breeches with shads, all that empty space between the shad and the breeches looks so messy.

12 members found this post helpful.

While I agree with Calvincrowe, hunters should be more about the tradition and horse than the fashion, I must admit my downfall as a complete Hunter Fashionista. I'm much to obsessed with nice things, it's legitimately a problem. I always need to quell the urge to buy every thing on display at horse shows. So out of pure fun, I'll answer your questions.

Euro-seat, low ride breeches? Love/hate relationship... I like the Euroseat, as I feel like without it, my butt looks awkward, however I like a slightly higher rise which I why I tend to opt for front size styles rather than size, which I find are a little higher. I have the thighs of Hercules, so I always have to go up a size in the waist, which leads to slight gapping in lower rise breeches for me. I find for schooling that ovations are actually very surprisingly comfortable and have lasted a long time for a good price. For showing however I mostly wear Tailored Sportsman front zip or pikeur ciaras.
    colorful, monogrammed chokers? I personally don't like monogrammed chokers simply because I feel like that's some extra money that I don't really NEED to spend on an already expensive shirt. Additionally since I normally go with wrap collars, I'd have to make sure the monogram matched ALL of my coats and that's a hassle. To be honest though, I'm definitely not seeing as many monograms as on the old style shirts, I'm seeing more white and wrap collars.
    colorful liners in jackets? I like it! I think it's a little bit of fun in a very traditional sport. That being said, I prefer light soft color linings or dark muted colors. I saw a jacket with bright red lining at a show in November and the memory is seared into my brain, it was not pretty.
    EIS shirts, I love them, definitely worth the hype.
    what is your biggest pet peeve and favorite trend in equestrian fashion? wear your darn midrise breeches if you're going to wear a shad. Also please don't have orange or black tack... I don't like the cased sausage style Animos.
    Also how do people feel about the TS quilted C belt? I have one and I like it because it fits my belt loops well (it is so hard to find 2" belts!), however I don't like the price point... Then again that's what I said about Hermes and Tory Burch belts too and I ended up with those too haha! What can I say? I'm a slave to fashion.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    My pet peeve is low rise breeches with shads, all that empty space between the shad and the breeches looks so messy.
    Ugh, my pet peeve. That and the super sparkly belts that were in ~6 years ago.

Having judged and sat in the booth with several judges as an announcer, I agree with Calvincrowe that it doesn't mean a whit to the judge what you wear, as long as it is conservative and appropriate. I have sat with some judges who hate the colored linings and trendy blingy things, but it's still secondary to performance.

I also understand, though, that it's nice to have fun with fashion, and I like to see the choices that have come about in the last decade or so. I haven't quite broken down for a snap collar yet, but only because I have plenty of perfectly nice show shirts.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Do you consider Pessoa Saddles to be to Orange?

Quote Originally Posted by ACSmith View Post
    Do you consider Pessoa Saddles to be to Orange?
    Depends on the Pessoa. I had one that was really rather pretty, looked like a 3000 dollar saddle, but unfortunately did/does not fit me at all. Some of the low end Pessoas have a strange color, but a good few do not. What is really orange is the look of an unbridled edgewood, it's more bridles than saddles, though there are some ugly orange saddles out there.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I am not a fashion person in the ring at all. Infact, I got most of my stuff at the cheapest price possible.. minues two pair of breeches. My favorite breeches? Neddys (though out of business, I believe) and Equine Couture. I love their fit and I can also find them in outlets for cheap (well not neddys anymore). I don't care about brands, and I don't own or even consider owning breeches that cost over $100. I'm in college and just can't even think about spending that kind of money on something that is bound to get hoof polish on it anyway.

I like wrap collars and colored shirts, and I like to wear polo's in the jumpers. I am a fan of the sparkley, western belt (sorry, I'm a cowgirl at heart). I hate how these fashion trends are "in & out" within two months. Its a horse show! It's not a fashion contest. If it is safe and gets the job done, I don't see a problem with it (unless it is plain, not allowed). I also don't justify spending over $100 dollars on a BELT. I use a ribbon belt or a thin leather belt for hunters, and I will break out my sparkley for SOME jumpers (or my cheap, walmart leather belt for bigger loops). I like low & mid rise breeches. I feel like the older I get the more I actually like the mid rise for riding, because stuff tucks into them much better. One of my favorite show shirts has vents under the armpits and on the sides, and I LOVE IT. I suggest it for hot days also, because you don't boil under your coat.

As for tack? The black and orage tack also bugs me! Yuck.
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

i too agree with calvin that the judge pays little attention to fashion as long as it is within the norm. Spending tons of money on new stuff when the old stuff is still great and still in style is money I can use on entries and lessons, etc. I do love the colored jacket linings though!

I was mostly just curious, the vast majority of my show and riding clothes are hand me downs and the stuff the isn't is usually from consignment. I got some money from doing some odd jobs for my trainers husband and was thinking about what I wanted to spend it on, I'm pretty sure I'm getting a CO Ayr8 but I have a couple hundred dollars left and really want to get another thing to spoil myself. If there's a trend that I really like and other people think its going to stick around for a while, I might splurge on it
    btw I'm one of the people who bought a bling belt, and havn't been able to afford a new one, whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by Kat. View Post
    I was mostly just curious, the vast majority of my show and riding clothes are hand me downs and the stuff the isn't is usually from consignment. I got some money from doing some odd jobs for my trainers husband and was thinking about what I wanted to spend it on, I'm pretty sure I'm getting a CO Ayr8 but I have a couple hundred dollars left and really want to get another thing to spoil myself. If there's a trend that I really like and other people think its going to stick around for a while, I might splurge on it
    btw I'm one of the people who bought a bling belt, and havn't been able to afford a new one, whoops!
    If I were to pull out the stuff I wore 10-15 years ago, it would still be appropriate and look like everyone else in the ring...except for the non-approved helmet so when people ask about trends, I really think "there are no obvious trends".

Personally I like the little things that you may not see at first glance. My spurs are engraved but a judge would never see that unless they walked up to me and my horse. Same thing with a little crystal on the spur strap. And I want a blingy belt...a really obnoxious one . Again you really won't see it while mounted except for a flash now and then as your coat moves.

I miss fun stripes, patterns and colors in shirts and as soon as I find one that really speaks to me I'm buying it...and monogramming it!

Quite frankly I really don't care if anyone else likes it or if it is on trend. I like it, and that really is all that matters! Hopefully my round is such that you are watching me ride rather than what I am wearing

5 members found this post helpful.

"Quite frankly I really don't care if anyone else likes it or if it is on trend. I like it, and that really is all that matters! Hopefully my round is such that you are watching me ride rather than what I am wearing"

AMEN! I like that attitude, comingback. Wear what fits YOU and makes YOU happy. If what posters say here is true and judges don't give a flip, then who cares? Yes, there will always be fashion trends in hunters, and out on the street in general. Doesn't mean classic styles are out of style. Classic is ALWAYS in style. And if you want a little bling belt, so be it. It's kinda of like wearing fancy underwear in daily life that you don't intend for anyone to see.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

3 members found this post helpful.

Go for the obnoxious bling belt, comingback. I have one and never regret it! Hahaha. I don't care if someone finds it tacky, usually I get a TON of compliments anyway. I also wear colored shirts under my jacket, unless my coach or the rules say is an absolute NO NO. I like color! White is boring! You also rarely see it unless coats are called.
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

I have never been trendy. I go with what fits and is comfortable. I did buy a wrap around collar shirt last year because it is easier than having a separate choker.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I don't like the low rise breeches with a shad look. Either get higher breeches or a shad that comes down further, SOMETHING.

I'm not a fan of the really tight coats that seem to be popular with juniors, but to each their own.

I do quite like the spanish/italian boot tops that are in and think they look really nice.

Euroseats are probably my favorite thing ever as long as they have a good rise (naturally, Horze Grand Prixs are my favorites). I also really like the newer, more technical fabrics in show shirts.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by comingback View Post
    I miss fun stripes, patterns and colors in shirts and as soon as I find one that really speaks to me I'm buying it...and monogramming it!
    I loathe white shirts, though that may come from having done a lot of dressage shows in the last two years and being forced into them. Every opportunity I have to put on a pretty colored show shirt for hunters or under a sweater for jumpers in cold weather, you better believe I wear something with color or check! And it's not as if they're expensive--I tend to pick one up every time I go in the Middleburg Tack Exchange, for around $35 for a nice Essex.

If you want a new, non-blingy belt, that shouldn't be something you need to save to afford. I've gotten some perfectly decent leather belts for schooling from Target in the $15 range, and even my "good" black leather CK belt, that I also wear to work, was around $25 at Nordstrom Rack. But I'm someone who bought a tooled leather, silver-buckled belt this fall while vacationing out west, and have no qualms wearing it to ride in, so maybe I'm not the best person to talk someone out of bling

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Not a fan of Lowrise breeches at all..

Belts are the horseman's jewelry, friends.

Also, for the love of God, get boots that are tall enough and cut well.

Note that in both cases, you can spend AllottaClams once and look good forever.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

No man looks good in those leather socks that people call boots.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

I wanted to take a poll of hunter/jumper people and see how people feel about specific trends

Euro-seat, low ride breeches?

Euro-seat doesn't bug me. Low rise breeches are ick.

colorful, monogrammed chokers?

Also doesn't bug me much, but I prefer nothing.

colorful liners in jackets?

I quite like it. Not a fan of hot pink as a liner (but not really a hot pink fan in general) but I have some lovely sky blue and lavender lined coats.

etc

what is your biggest pet peeve and favorite trend in equestrian fashion?

Biggest pet peeves are too low breeches with your shadbelly, crazy Animo colors in the hunter ring (especially their shads!), breastplates in the hunter ring, really "anatomic" tack in the hunter ring, I could go on forever.

My new favourite trends are wide noseband hunter bridles (might not be new down in FL and CA, but up here it's just catching on again) and my own personal trend - sparkle thread in my braids!

Also how do people feel about the TS quilted C belt?

No idea what that is.