The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite gloves?

Do you have any favorite riding gloves?
    Ideally I'm looking for something with a bit of a grip...
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Roeckls!!! Seriously the best gloves. Perfect amount of grip, feel amazing, and you can toss them into the washing machine. They are a tiny bit spendy but totally worth it. Mine have lasted at least twice as long as the cheaper SSG's I used to buy and they've still got some time left on them.

Neumans Tackified. They are real leather. Wash with your breeches or any other way. Very durable. There is an insulated pair too.

When it gets really, really cold though, I go to SSG winter training.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

MacWets

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    Roeckls!!! Seriously the best gloves. Perfect amount of grip, feel amazing, and you can toss them into the washing machine. They are a tiny bit spendy but totally worth it. Mine have lasted at least twice as long as the cheaper SSG's I used to buy and they've still got some time left on them.

I have the roeckls now, and while they are lasting longer, i don't find that they have any grip...
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

I have been riding around in the 10 degree gloves by SSG and I love them. I actually like that they are a bit thick and "dampen" the feel, mainly because it encourages me to ride with my back and elbows holistically instead of fiddling about with the fingers and wrists.

Also, not being completely frozen doesn't hurt.

Roekl because they have winter and summer ones, and a variety of colors. I have long nails, they allow for them too!! The SSG work, but imho do not offer as much feel, but good for eventing. Neumanns have always worn out too fast for me.

In winter, get the gloves with little finger/thumb each in their own casing, and the other three together. They come from different makers, have extra no slip between pinkie and the 'threesome'.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

SSG. These, in black:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ssg%c2%...15xb3mrrcjj5fm

Grippy, and I can buckle anything from a girth to a cavesson in them!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

A second vote for the newmanns! I have had mine maybe two years now and they are still sticky when I wash them!

Schwenkel

I discovered the SSG Digitals this past year and I am in love. I have for a long time not liked most gloves, because they are usually too bulky for my taste and not grippy enough. I used cotton string gloves forever. But I found these and I absolutely adore them. They have a great feel (I HATE bulky gloves), and are grippy even when my sweating machine horse has the reins completely slicked.

Current faves are the SSG All Weather for most of the year and the SSG Winter All Weather and SSG Riding Mittens (Leather), which are awesome, for really cold weather. I will have to try the Digitals. The SSGs last forever for me and are a great price.

I had Roeckls as my show gloves but, when they wore out, decided to go back to the SSG All Weathers, which I find more comfortable.

I've also gotten into the wildly coloured SSGs as my everyday gloves. Love the horseshoe pattern and this year I bought the zebra and the hot pink. That way, my gloves will never end up in anyone else's tack box.

I have several I like depending what I'm doing that day.

I foxhunt or trail ride in the SSG 10 Belows in the winter. I don't like them for arena work because they are too thick and deaden feel too much. If I'm doing arena work I like the Heritage Extreme Winter gloves. They look similar to the SSG 10 Belows, but they aren't as thick or as warm.

I have Roekel gloves I like quite a bit for basically anything above 45F. I generally use them for hunting or shows. My hunt bridle has braided reins and these are plenty tacky to grip the braided reins. At home I ride in plain, flat reins on both my biothane bridle and my leather schooling bridle.

I also have several pairs of the SSGs that come in a bunch of colors. Those tend to be my every day or trail riding gloves. They're probably my favorite ones.

Neumans's!

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Neumans Tackified. They are real leather. Wash with your breeches or any other way. Very durable. There is an insulated pair too.
    Yes, love 'em. I have a black pair for every day and a white park for shows.

SSG Digital gloves last me a year-14months
    I ride about 15 hours a week, and scrub my gloves every Friday. They hold up, they're super grippy, and ultra thin.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I used to use SSGs exclusively, but have since bit the bullet and bought a more expensive pair. These are Ariats, and I have to say, I LOVE them! I want to say they are the Tek Grip style, but not positive.

My all time favorite gloves used to be the Ovation mesh-back gloves. they had thin, thin leather on the palm side (I like good feel) and a light nylon mesh on the back. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore. I've only got one pair left, so I'm enjoying this thread.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    Yes, love 'em. I have a black pair for every day and a white park for shows.
    I tried them on today and really liked the grip, so I bought them. Apparently they only had men's pairs though so I had to get a XS size... Do they do women's gloves too?

Default BIONICS

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller