The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Ice Storm--anyone else

Temperature is 30; wind is from the North at 10MPH. Rain is sporadic but just keeps on falling. Ice is building up on just about everything. And weather service says that this is expected to continue until sometime tomorrow. It's nasty out there.

I just went down to the barn and everything, including the lock to the feed room, was coated with ice.

Ice storms scare me to death; years ago we were without power for 28 days. I'm praying hard that this one won't be as bad.

If anyone else is suffering from this condition, stay OFF the roads. Keep travel down to absolute essentials.

When it's finally over, the mud is going to be almost unbearable.

Just a huge whine here.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

You guys are getting hit hard...its headed this way but so far they are just forcasting snow for Thursday into Friday.

I did get caught in the one that hit ATL...2 or 3 years ago...I managed to get about 2 miles from home and my truck wouldnt make it up the mountain road to our street. It took my husband over 4 hours to get to me. He stopped at every hardware store along the way and loaded his truck down with sand and concrete blocks hoping to weight it down enough to make it up the mountain. I think parts of ATL were iced for two or three days, we thawed out enough to rescue my truck the next afternoon though. Now, I ALWAYS make sure I have a full tank of gas and provisions to last me in case I get stranded again.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

twenty-eight days??!! sending warm thoughts south!!

Oh dear. We were out 36 hours with a minor one week before last. Tank heaters all not working, electric fence not working, most of our winter emergency stuff buried in the shop. Lines down across the road and on the property across the street. Road had been treated and the sun came out so it was easy to travel and get provisions, by 24 hours we had the kerosene heater working nicely, fireplace going, propane two burner going (do watch out for CO with this one!) for a nice hot chili on bread.
    2009 was a week, but no large animals at that time.
    Do you have de-icer? Table salt and sand work somewhat, we put down old carpet on the steps and that works somewhat too, get your door locks covered on the cars, the building doors. Luckily for us the pigs bedded down in the extra hay and straw so no escapees trotting through the neighborhood - put out extra hay to keep everyone munching down their calories to keep content and warm.

Best wishes to you and I hear you about the mud!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Here in Fayette County, TN, plastic garbage cans have been frozen shut since noon. Stopped at store for firewood in case we lose power. Temp is now 31 and this is supposed to last all night. Horses at boarding barn should be tucked in and blanketed. At least I don't have to go out in it. Going to make some tea and finish watching "I'll Cry Tomorrow".

We have freezing rain, which is going to last all night and into tomorrow. It's been raining for 2 days straight, so we have MAJOR mud and some flooding. I tied hay nets in the run in, so the horses are eating and drying off.

I've been home from work the past two days, just exhausted. All I've been doing is reading/watching tv on the couch under a blanket. Which is actually perfect for this weather. If only I didn't feel so yucky.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Last night we got ice/freezing rain. It collected on the grass and trees, but the roads were too warm to freeze thankfully.

It's been raining/sleeting most of today, but luckily it's stayed above freezing. Here's to hoping it stays that way!

Be safe everyone!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

It's coming this way but we're supposed to get snow (3 to 6"), not ice. Ice IS scary. Not much you can do about it. We're lucky that we don't lose power too long, usually, and we have fireplaces and lots of wood. Lucky also that my friend who board my horse, has a generator, so there is always water.

Stay safe everyone. And stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Icy rain started here a little while ago.

Packed the horses' hay in the run-in so they have no excuse of standing around in the pasture as they did all day Sunday when it was pouring down rain - mind you, it was near 70 degrees.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Icy rain here as well. The radar has us right on the snow edge. The old guy is tucked in a stall at my trainer's, pony is out with the gelding herd there. Hope everybody stays safe!
    Incredible Invisible

30 miles southeast of Pittsburgh PA...just started here.Sleet/rain mix, that is then freezing on contact...

I am camped out in the office/apt at the barn. I live 20 minutes northwest of here and am afraid that the icy condititions will mean that the morning help may not make it in...and that I may not make it in...I am only 1/2 mile off the interstate, but it's 1/2 mile up a steep winding hill...

If we loose power, I don't have any water....so... I have topped off buckets and filled 2 tubs with water so I can "dip" water for 23 horses if needed...recleaned stalls this evening, and bedded deep...in case the ice prevents us from getting to the manure pit...

Tossed my hay ecomomy plan to the wind, and fed extra hay tonight...with this ice, I am sure that there won't be turnout tomorrow. Just a romp in the indoor arena...long enough to knock down all the jumps and get their stalls cleaned...lol, then more hay...lol

Glad the indoor is attached at this place...

Oh, and I have wine, bourbon, crackers cheese and coffee...milk, bananas, and toilet paper....oh and dog food....not that thelabradors wouldn't eat the cheese, crackers, bananas and toilet paper...lol

Be safe every one and check in...it could be a long couple of days...
    West of nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    . . .
    Oh, and I have wine, bourbon, crackers cheese and coffee...milk, bananas, and toilet paper....oh and dog food....not that thelabradors wouldn't eat the cheese, crackers, bananas and toilet paper...lol

Be safe every one and check in...it could be a long couple of days...
    Snacks. You know that's the first thing you miss when you are stuck/snowed in/can't leave is the snacks? Glad to see you have that covered!
    Hope OP is just asleep and not powerless.
    I took a look at this thing on Goes East and it's rather long, good luck to the East Coast tonight.
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Snacks. You know that's the first thing you miss when you are stuck/snowed in/can't leave is the snacks? Glad to see you have that covered!
    Hope OP is just asleep and not powerless.
    I took a look at this thing on Goes East and it's rather long, good luck to the East Coast tonight.
    Not just snacks....I have Bourbon...being from "the rocky paart of KY" you should appreciate that I have BOURBON....lol
    West of nowhere

I wasn't going to mentions that, but since you did, I hope it's good Kentucky bourbon!
    Incredible Invisible

I hope everyone and their creatures stay safe! I know Viney is by herself, extra thoughts for those on their own!
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I wasn't going to mentions that, but since you did, I hope it's good Kentucky bourbon!
    Oh yes...Maker's Mark....as my father used to say..."don't you dare dilute that with ice"...
    West of nowhere

Oh, yes, ice storms. I moved away from them. I remember staying at my sisters house (she and her boyfriend left to stay in a hotel) I fell on my ass trying to get wood for the fireplace out of the garage, no power, no water, no toilet, no food, no fun.

I hate them and love never having to deal with ice storms again...

Vineyridge....are you okay?

Dodged the worst of it here...skim of ice on everything-I was able to clear it from the exterior doorknobs with my gloved hands...temp holding at 30...roads are okay for the most part. The glaze on the paddock rails and in the trees is actually quite picturesque...

Hope everyone else is safe and warm
    West of nowhere

Stay safe y'all. I would rather have snow than ice
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Everything here is fine. We dodged a bullet because there was't as much moisture as the weather service had thought there would be. Have foot long icicles hanging off every eave, and the feedhorn to the satellite is clogged. It's still under freezing, but is supposed to go to 39 today, so everything will slowly melt.

All in all what could have been a catastrophe has not. What it has done is made me make a list of things to have for winter barn emergencies. I have a heat gun that will melt anything, but all the barn outlets are inside and when the locks are frozen you can't get inside. Thanks to this thread, I'm going to get a can of no-freeze/thaw stuff from O'Reilly's and keep in the truck along with a hammer and chisel. I just hope that I can even find such a thing down here.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire