The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

And incidentally it has now come to light that the TX law of it being illegal to ship horse meat for human consumption through the state is blatantly being ignored:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/Ho...z/-/index.html

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I sure hope they don't start making deworming illegal.
    Sure would not be nice to have wormy animals running around and then selling them for consumption, just because some animal rights extremist think dewormers are poison.
    Its been decades since I dewormed by own horses, but every tube said "not for animals to be consumed". I remember not understanding that until I realized it meant not for animals that will be eaten by humans. So yeah that figure of 100% of race horses use illegal drugs is close if 100% of race horses are dewormed. "Illegal drugs"=drugs not allowed to appear in food humans eat.
    What do you deworm your cattle with?
    ----
    Horsemeat appears on the menu in Switzerland in many restaurants, not shocking at all.
    I am surprised France needs to import it. They have a breed created specifically for meat ((the boulanais <-- sp
    -------
    I eat ikea meatballs. I swear last time I ate them they tasted off- as if they have enough protein in them.
    End of novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Its been decades since I dewormed by own horses, but every tube said "not for animals to be consumed". I remember not understanding that until I realized it meant not for animals that will be eaten by humans. So yeah that figure of 100% of race horses use illegal drugs is close if 100% of race horses are dewormed. "Illegal drugs"=drugs not allowed to appear in food humans eat.
    What do you deworm your cattle with?
    ----
    Horsemeat appears on the menu in Switzerland in many restaurants, not shocking at all.
    I am surprised France needs to import it. They have a breed created specifically for meat ((the boulanais <-- sp
    -------
    I eat ikea meatballs. I swear last time I ate them they tasted off- as if they have enough protein in them.
    End of novel.

Same we use for horses.

Just one question-

What wormers used in horses are NOT used for cattle, hogs, or poultry?

There are known withdrawal times for cattle, hogs and poultry. The same types of meds are used. Any medication used on food animals must state what the withdrawal time is. It is possible that we don't have the research to specifically know the withdrawal times on horses so the drugs are not approved for their use. Perhaps a vet would know more?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    There are known withdrawal times for cattle, hogs and poultry. The same types of meds are used. Any medication used on food animals must state what the withdrawal time is. It is possible that we don't have the research to specifically know the withdrawal times on horses so the drugs are not approved for their use. Perhaps a vet would know more?
    I am thinking to determin withdrawl time the drug company has to undergo substantial tests and research, which spells a lot of $$$ for them.
    Since horses generally do not end up in slaughter, they can forgo that expense and just label it 'not for consumption'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

http://worldradio.ch/wrs/news/wrsnew...ns.shtml?34739

Bern to take action on feedlot conditions

The Federal Veterinary Office says it will act after video evidence of the awful conditions in which horses are bred for slaughter across the Atlantic.

Farms in Canada, the U.S., Argentina and Mexico produce much of the horsemeat imported and sold in Switzerland.

The investigation was carried out by Zurich’s animal protection association.

Swiss authorities say they’ll demand explanations from the countries concerned and force importers to take a clear stance on respecting animal rights.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...lth-risks.html

Some important statements from this article:

Otherwise known as “bute,” the drug is a potent equine painkiller that’s prohibited in horse meat produced by EU trading partners, including the U.S., where 95-100 percent of horses are estimated to be “buted.”

As the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service stated back in 2007, “phenylbutazone is considered to be one of the most toxic non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. It is not approved for use in food animals and there are no regulatory limits, such as acceptable daily intake or safe concentration for meat, established by the Food and Drug Administration. Therefore, the presence of any amount of phenylbutazone in food animal tissue will be considered a violation and likely to be unsafe for human consumption.” -

Horses—and particularly racehorses—are walking pharmacies. “Eating them is about as healthful as eating food contaminated with DDT,” says Dodman, a professor of clinical sciences at Tufts University’s Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine and the director of its Animal Behavior Clinic. -

Good article, except for the "particularly racehorses" part, with which I take issue. Show horses have LONG since left race horses in the dust in the "walking pharmacies" sweepstakes.

Worried about withdrawal times? Ask USEF. They know.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

2 members found this post helpful.

Now horse has been found in Taco Bell meat in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    Now horse has been found in Taco Bell meat in Europe.
    surprised?

it comes from the same low price type providers....

maybe we can get the food industry cleaned up after this.

Gives “mystery meat” a whole new meaning – dontchathink?

I don't think this list is complete because I don't see Burger King on it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21412590

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    Gives “mystery meat” a whole new meaning – dontchathink?
    <shrug>

A friend of mine grew up with a crazy mother.
    She would serve up whatever she could shove in the pot, not tell the family it was gopher or whatever until they had loaded their plated, now being forced to finish eating what they took.
    Roast beast.

In the 1920 I think Hamburg, Germany had the infamous case of the butcher Harmann....they finally connected him to missing people....some more stew?

Trust in food production plummets amid horsemeat scandal
    It’s being described as among the biggest commercial frauds ever uncovered. And earlier this week the horsemeat scandal ended up hitting Swiss consumers too. After initially denying it had any affected products, the Swiss supermarket chain Coop ended up pulling lasagna off its shelves. There’s a health risk, lack of transparency, but above all, now, there’s a lack of trust. WRS’ Lucas Chambers reports:

This is reported by the WRS (World Radio Switzerland)..over here we call it the equivalent to the National Enquirer..radio style

Switzerland is the home of the Rara's for Europe. I always find their indignation unique...they do eat horse meat...it was found listed as beef...but NONE has been tested as unsafe...I can't find any reports stating drugs were discovered...but again...this coming from THE COUNTRY that invented secrecy and fought against the U.S. over having to disclose numbered bank accounts...(they sure hid a lot of WWII stolen money)

Horses BRED for slaughter? in Canada and the U.S. ? They did take pictures of the feedlots which have the horses to comply with the passport 6 month demand but those are NOT breeding farms...Switaerland was either second or third on Wayne Paceles European trip.

Could horse meat end up on your dinner table?

http://www.wsmv.com/story/21537348/c...r-dinner-table

(Reuters). The supervisory authorities of the states examined now 1,924 food samples undeclared horsemeat and identification has been made in 126 cases. That the Federal Ministry of Agriculture said on Thursday in Berlin. Three weeks ago, t...he first deliveries were incorrectly labeled products with horsemeat known from other European countries.

The 126 documents are distributed as follows among the federal states: Berlin (3), Brandenburg (7), Baden-Württemberg (11), Bavaria (9), Bremen (5), Hesse (18), Hamburg (4), North Rhine- Westphalia (42), Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania (10), Lower Saxony (9), Saarland (2) Saxony-Anhalt (6). IN QUESTION for the majority of recent positive test results but in fact are the confirmation of known cases, and products that have already been taken off the market, the ministry said.

(Overview of these products on the Internet at www.pferdefleisch-rueckrufe.de)

http://www.welt.de/newsticker/news3/...-entdeckt.html

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    http://worldradio.ch/wrs/news/wrsnew...ns.shtml?34739

Bern to take action on feedlot conditions

The Federal Veterinary Office says it will act after video evidence of the awful conditions in which horses are bred for slaughter across the Atlantic.

Farms in Canada, the U.S., Argentina and Mexico produce much of the horsemeat imported and sold in Switzerland.

The investigation was carried out by Zurich’s animal protection association.

Swiss authorities say they’ll demand explanations from the countries concerned and force importers to take a clear stance on respecting animal rights.
    Have you ever heard of politicians pontificating?

In Canada and the U.S.A and Mexico horses are NOT bred for slaughter and kept in feedlots.

Of course the European Animal Rights groups claimed that as there were mares with foals in feedlots.

When they did their inspection at the Montana feedlots they were suyrprised to discover they had been BS'd.

They were also suprised to discover their videos they had to confront everyone with..did not match any feedlots..as claimed.

Farms RARELY produce much of the horsemeat..

Gosh..anyone who has looked on Craigs list...and everywhere else..knows you can buy a horse cheaper than you could produce one...especially with feed costs.

For those who oppose slaughter...if all the horses are refused by Europe, the companies will either develope the Asian market to its fullest potentil OR they will go under. If they go under and only a few horses are slaughter...rendering etc..you watch ...all of those who demanded a ban..and claimed THEY had ideas..will scurry for the hills..and claim breeders bad...

This is all about the power of controlling others AND getting donations for it.

Intesting times...

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    (Reuters). The supervisory authorities of the states examined now 1,924 food samples undeclared horsemeat and identification has been made in 126 cases. That the Federal Ministry of Agriculture said on Thursday in Berlin. Three weeks ago, t...he first deliveries were incorrectly labeled products with horsemeat known from other European countries.

The 126 documents are distributed as follows among the federal states: Berlin (3), Brandenburg (7), Baden-Württemberg (11), Bavaria (9), Bremen (5), Hesse (18), Hamburg (4), North Rhine- Westphalia (42), Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania (10), Lower Saxony (9), Saarland (2) Saxony-Anhalt (6). IN QUESTION for the majority of recent positive test results but in fact are the confirmation of known cases, and products that have already been taken off the market, the ministry said.

(Overview of these products on the Internet at www.pferdefleisch-rueckrufe.de)

http://www.welt.de/newsticker/news3/...-entdeckt.html
    And this has "what" to do with North American slaughter?

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Have you ever heard of politicians pontificating?

In Canada and the U.S.A and Mexico horses are NOT bred for slaughter and kept in feedlots.

Of course the European Animal Rights groups claimed that as there were mares with foals in feedlots.

When they did their inspection at the Montana feedlots they were suyrprised to discover they had been BS'd.

They were also suprised to discover their videos they had to confront everyone with..did not match any feedlots..as claimed.

Farms RARELY produce much of the horsemeat..

Gosh..anyone who has looked on Craigs list...and everywhere else..knows you can buy a horse cheaper than you could produce one...especially with feed costs.

For those who oppose slaughter...if all the horses are refused by Europe, the companies will either develope the Asian market to its fullest potentil OR they will go under. If they go under and only a few horses are slaughter...rendering etc..you watch ...all of those who demanded a ban..and claimed THEY had ideas..will scurry for the hills..and claim breeders bad...

This is all about the power of controlling others AND getting donations for it.

Intesting times...
    You are denying there are horse feedlots in Canada????????????