The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    Ouch: Horsemeat scandal wipes £300 million of Tesco's market value, shares down 1% in trading - @Guardian
    LOL, gosh....
    How much did the stocks drop? might be time to buy in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

but it is illegal not to declare every ingredient on food labels.
    yeah- if you're deathly allergic to something, or have other health issues involving foods, stunts like this could kill you.
    It's not the fact that it was horse, it was the fact that they are lying about what it is that is the problem.

1 members found this post helpful.

In the USA the FDA has been doing DNA testing on fish in grocery stores and in restaurants. It turns out that a lot of the fish that is sold is NOT what it is labeled to be. This is obviously bad because it cheats the consumer if they are getting a cheaper fish, but it is also bad because: (1) the fish may be endangered and caught illegally and (2) it may be a type of fish that the eater is trying to avoid because of mercury levels, etc.

Mislabeling is wrong on so many levels and should be punished severely. If not, we are going to end up being poisoned by chinese glutens such as in the pet food incidents a few years back.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    yeah- if you're deathly allergic to something, or have other health issues involving foods, stunts like this could kill you.
    It's not the fact that it was horse, it was the fact that they are lying about what it is that is the problem.
    That's a really good point. My mom has crazy food allergies and has to carry an epi-pen. I've seen anaphylaxis firsthand, and it's not pleasant.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

2 members found this post helpful.

Since it was in Ireland the horses at least probably had their passports up to date. Misrepresentation sure, but hopefully no drugs.
    Last edited by betonbill; Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: word editing.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

EU horse passports partly to make certain medicated horse meat is not eaten by humans. All kinds of questions as a result of this discovery.

In the UK, ONLY vets are permitted to treat/medicate animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Willesdon View Post
    EU horse passports partly to make certain medicated horse meat is not eaten by humans. All kinds of questions as a result of this discovery.

In the UK, ONLY vets are permitted to treat/medicate animals.

I'm confused. Do all horses in the UK need passports? Even non-show horses that never leave the yard? How do they enforce THAT?

I used to work at a very large meat distributor in the US about 30 years ago and I have zero problems believing this story. All sorts of "misrepresentations" went on in that industry on a regular basis. A quick example is the "fresh" vs. frozen chickens we sold to the grocery chains. Fresh chicken is more expensive, but we never, not even once that I know of, received fresh chicken into our warehouse. It was all shipped in frozen and we would thaw it out in vats of water on the docks and after it thawed it was shipped to the grocery stores as "fresh".

For the record, there was a US meat inspector that was stationed at the warehouse permanently. He turned a blind eye to anything that wasn't pork. Pork was monitored very closely. Everything else was sort of "eh, no one is dying".

I also learned that I will NEVER buy meat from a corner butcher unless I know the butcher personally. The big chains were the ones doing their utmost to guarantee the quality of their product.

I hope it's changed for the better. And I agree, the problem is the lying. If they'll lie about what the meat is, who knows where they got it from? That picture just gets worse and worse.
    <><

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    I'm confused. Do all horses in the UK need passports? Even non-show horses that never leave the yard? How do they enforce THAT?
    Yes, technically a horse cannot be sold (or I believe even see the vet, etc) without a passport. As you say though, it is not really enforced as this would be next to impossible.

Regarding the meat....I'm even more disturbed that if this was going on 2 years ago I would have eaten that "beef". I used to shop at Tesco all the time. Trying not to think about it.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    Plus I believe some of the samples also turned out to have pork in them, which some people avoid for religious reasons. There is just no excuse for this sort of practice.

They found lasagna that had 100% horsemeat. It's causing a big scandal over in the eu countries right now.

http://news.sky.com/story/1049133/fi...cent-horsemeat

Many more articles out there if you google it.

again, it's not a problem of omg it's horse, but dammit, it's NOT beef...

aaannndddd we get to revisit the statement I made many years ago: you don't know if you never had horse...

maan, I would love to be wrong more often when it comes to the human shortcomings....

I bet you, not a one person could tell the cow was not cow in any of the foods.

But this is really a messed up situation, and I hope heads will roll far far awa from the bodies they belonged to. 25% in the burgers was way more than acceptable as 'mistake' but 60-100%? That is fraud of the highest order!

(I wonder if MASH was right, and consuming horse meat can make you sensitive to serums derived from horses...)
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    again, it's not a problem of omg it's horse, but dammit, it's NOT beef...

Yes, it is a problem of omg it's horse when that horse might contain bute, regumate, etc. etc. See my link at post #31 above.

3 members found this post helpful.

As long as it tastes good, who cares!

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Yes, it is a problem of omg it's horse when that horse might contain bute, regumate, etc. etc. See my link at post #31 above.
    the meat was not thought to be a health hazard....

in Europe people do not wholesale feed medications to their horses as they do in the US...and even here only a few really do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    the meat was not thought to be a health hazard....

in Europe people do not wholesale feed medications to their horses as they do in the US...and even here only a few really do it...
    Where did it say that eating bute is not a health hazard?

First people here were saying "oh no bute couldn't get into the food chain because horses have passports in Europe." Now they start testing carcasses being sent to France and they find bute in them.

So now you are saying it is okay to eat a little bit of veterinary medication?

This may be the same article:

http://news.yahoo.com/france-pins-ho...--finance.html

Mystery Meat, with a side order of Bute. Great reason yet again to avoid processed food. They ain't gonna tell ya what's REALLY in it--until they get caught!

The fact that this happened in Europe, where regs are supposedly so much tighter and better enforced, really makes you wonder what's in a lot of stuff here. Horse might be one of the LESS revolting choices.

"Food beyond compare
    Food beyond belief!
    Mix it in a mincer and pretend it's beef.
    Kidney of a horse, liver of a cat,
    Filling up the sausages with this and that."

--Les Miserables

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    They found lasagna that had 100% horsemeat. It's causing a big scandal over in the eu countries right now.

http://news.sky.com/story/1049133/fi...cent-horsemeat
    Many more articles out there if you google it.
    Officially disgusted. I used to buy ground beef at Tesco allthetime. ughhhh.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    This may be the same article:

http://news.yahoo.com/france-pins-ho...--finance.html

Mystery Meat, with a side order of Bute. Great reason yet again to avoid processed food. They ain't gonna tell ya what's REALLY in it--until they get caught!

The fact that this happened in Europe, where regs are supposedly so much tighter and better enforced, really makes you wonder what's in a lot of stuff here. Horse might be one of the LESS revolting choices.

"Food beyond compare
    Food beyond belief!
    Mix it in a mincer and pretend it's beef.
    Kidney of a horse, liver of a cat,
    Filling up the sausages with this and that."

--Les Miserables
    Heck no, Europe had a real bad hormones in meat problem for years, when the USA had long quit using those kinds, while using the "horrible hormones in meat" logo to ban USA imports.
    Thankfully the International Tribunal, after ten years of testimonies, ruled in favor of the USA.

Europe has plenty of problems, as we can see here, although no one is exempt from having crooks somewhere.