The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    SummerRose,
    Thanks for the try, but I asked for real proof of who is doing the testing and by what means. Labs compete against one another and only a couple are even recognized by the U.S. legal system as legitimate enough to enter a courtroom.
    Do you think that posting 4 links to corporations' press releases means anything? Not only that, but you and your rara sisterhood all believe the big 'corporate' processors can't be trusted to run their houses? Then you want to claim that you trust these fly-by-night dna labs that are popping up all over the place? Without double-blind, peer reviewed studies, there will clearly be a crash of all these labs. And the Star is even less reliable than your favorite huffington post!
    What do you define as "real proof?" I could find newspaper articles (including the one linked in my first post - which was neither from a paper called "Star" nor the Huffington Post), but it sounds like that isn't what you're asking about. Here's a statement from the Chief Executive of the Food Safety Authority of Ireland to the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Agriculture, Food and the Marine: http://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/oirea...5.02.2013.html

"The first samples for the study were purchased from 7th to 9th November 2012 and delivered to the Identigen testing laboratory in Dublin within a few days of purchase. ...

"A surprising result was the detection of equine DNA in 10 beef burgers which were not labelled as containing horse meat. Given this unexpected finding, we decided that these results needed to be confirmed and the laboratory was requested to sequence the DNA detected to ensure that it was of equine and porcine origin. This was confirmed by the laboratory on 10th December. ...

"For the sake of certainty, on 21st December, 20 sub-samples (10 positives and 10 negatives) from the initial 27 samples were taken from the Identigen laboratory and sent as blind samples to the Eurofins laboratory in Germany for additional independent testing. ...

"Semi-quantitative results from the Eurofins laboratory in Germany were received by the FSAI on 11th January 2013 corroborating the initial results of the Identigen laboratory."

Re: "legitimate enough to enter a courtroom?" All linked labs are accredited ISO 17025 which is generally accepted as credible in the courtroom. From the Chief Executive's statement: "The FSAI was and is confident about the competence of both laboratories. Both operate to high standards and are accredited to the European Standard EN ISO/IEC 17025:2005."

What "fly-by-night" DNA labs are "popping up all over the place?" The equipment is expensive and accreditation takes time - when there are already so many labs that do species testing, it wouldn't seem to be profitable enough for a major influx of new ones. And I can't see anyone using a lab that could be considered "fly-by-night" when there are well-established labs like those I linked.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    No, it was a piece that was anything but balanced and at times was trying to pull emotional strings.
    If you were that much of a journalist you should have seen thru that, it is easy to see.

Good journalist ethics ask that the information is presented, no sides taken, unless it is clearly marked as an opinion piece.
    There were no sides taken, it was an investigation:

Star investigation: Ottawa refuses to say whether drug-tainted horse meat entered food chain

The Star traces a former Stronach racehorse’s life from birth to the slaughterhouse and makes an unsettling discovery: serious flaws in Canada’s food inspection system are putting our health at risk when it comes to horses destined for the food chain.

It was all about one horse that should not have entered the food chain, and the effort that was made to prevent it. No where in the story do the writers take sides, it was unbiased. Good journalism gets the reader to think, and that is exactly what this piece did.

Are you implying this paragraph is fabricated?

What happened to Backstreet Bully’s carcass is a closely guarded secret. Neither the government nor the slaughterhouse owner will say whether the horse’s meat became someone’s dinner somewhere in the world.

The writers tried to get information, and were denied. They wrote the article as best they could based on the people who were willing to talk. There were no sides taken, and couldn't be completely balanced because the people involved in the slaughter process wouldn't talk.

Why so much secrecy there, Bluey? Can you explain that? All the slaughter house officials had to say was they made sure the horse did not enter the food chain. Pretty simple stuff.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    There were no sides taken, it was an investigation:

Star investigation: Ottawa refuses to say whether drug-tainted horse meat entered food chain

The Star traces a former Stronach racehorse’s life from birth to the slaughterhouse and makes an unsettling discovery: serious flaws in Canada’s food inspection system are putting our health at risk when it comes to horses destined for the food chain.

It was all about one horse that should not have entered the food chain, and the effort that was made to prevent it. No where in the story do the writers take sides, it was unbiased. Good journalism gets the reader to think, and that is exactly what this piece did.

Are you implying this paragraph is fabricated?

What happened to Backstreet Bully’s carcass is a closely guarded secret. Neither the government nor the slaughterhouse owner will say whether the horse’s meat became someone’s dinner somewhere in the world.

The writers tried to get information, and were denied. They wrote the article as best they could based on the people who were willing to talk. There were no sides taken, and couldn't be completely balanced because the people involved in the slaughter process wouldn't talk.

Why so much secrecy there, Bluey? Can you explain that? All the slaughter house officials had to say was they made sure the horse did not enter the food chain. Pretty simple stuff.
    Come on, you say you were a journalist and let this slip by you?
    I didn't say anywhere they were fabricating a story, but that they were slanting it, as it is obvious here and in other paragraphs.
    Use what you say you learned in school and critique that with a journalist eye, not glossing over what you don't want to notice because it fits your own agenda so well.

A balanced story would not have gone there, just stated the facts, that are damming enough if true, no need to make it so obviously part of their agenda.
    THAT is what I was commenting on.

---"When Clark, from Stronach’s Adena Springs farm in Aurora, made her rescue attempt, she was already too late. Backstreet Bully was dead, shot in the head while imprisoned in a cramped abattoir stall. Canadian officials have refused to tell the Star if the horse’s meat entered the food chain.
    As part of an investigation into the number of racehorses sent to slaughter as cash-strapped Ontario racetracks close, the Star has traced the life and death of Backstreet Bully, using interviews, government documents and veterinary records.
    If not for a clue on his leather halter — a brass plate engraved with the name Backstreet Bully — the fate of the playful animal with “tons of puppy dog personality” might not have been discovered. "---

Come on, you say you were a journalist and let this slip by you?
    I didn't say anywhere they were fabricating a story, but that they were slanting it, as it is obvious here and in other paragraphs.
    Use what you say you learned in school and critique that with a journalist eye, not glossing over what you don't want to notice because it fits your own agenda so well.

A balanced story would not have gone there, just stated the facts, that are damming enough if true, no need to make it so obviously part of their agenda.
    THAT is what I was commenting on.

---"When Clark, from Stronach’s Adena Springs farm in Aurora, made her rescue attempt, she was already too late. Backstreet Bully was dead, shot in the head while imprisoned in a cramped abattoir stall. Canadian officials have refused to tell the Star if the horse’s meat entered the food chain.
    As part of an investigation into the number of racehorses sent to slaughter as cash-strapped Ontario racetracks close, the Star has traced the life and death of Backstreet Bully, using interviews, government documents and veterinary records.
    If not for a clue on his leather halter — a brass plate engraved with the name Backstreet Bully — the fate of the playful animal with “tons of puppy dog personality” might not have been discovered. "---
    Oh, my bad! I guess what they should have written was your truth which would be:

Backstreet Bully was gently lead into an area designed to be inviting and comfortable for a horse. He was then humanely euthanized.

And:

The mean, uncontrollable and unwanted horse HAD to be slaughtered so he could be used one more time, as should be the fate of all horses.
    Last edited by jenm; Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: added bold

5 members found this post helpful.

Oh, my bad! I guess what they should have written was your truth which would be:

Backstreet Bully was gently lead into an area designed to be inviting and comfortable for a horse. He was then humanely euthanized.

And:

The mean, uncontrollable and unwanted horse HAD to be slaughtered so he could be used one more time, as should be the fate of all horses.
    I thought they were teaching critical thinking skills in journalism schools?

I thought they were teaching critical thinking skills in journalism schools?
    Did Fairfax tell you to write that?

Something really important we learn early on is this:

Offer Balance – there is more than one side to a story. Go to great lengths to get information from all sides. If the other side is unwilling to talk, say so in your piece. At least you tried.

It's hard to make a story not seem one sided when only ONE side will talk!!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    In the USA the FDA has been doing DNA testing on fish in grocery stores and in restaurants. It turns out that a lot of the fish that is sold is NOT what it is labeled to be. This is obviously bad because it cheats the consumer if they are getting a cheaper fish, but it is also bad because: (1) the fish may be endangered and caught illegally and (2) it may be a type of fish that the eater is trying to avoid because of mercury levels, etc.

Mislabeling is wrong on so many levels and should be punished severely. If not, we are going to end up being poisoned by chinese glutens such as in the pet food incidents a few years back.
    ^^^^^
    This - other than that WTF is there to argue about??
    Last edited by JGHIRETIRE; Mar. 31, 2013 at 01:10 AM. Reason: spelling

4 members found this post helpful.

Did Fairfax tell you to write that?

Something really important we learn early on is this:

Offer Balance – there is more than one side to a story. Go to great lengths to get information from all sides. If the other side is unwilling to talk, say so in your piece. At least you tried.

It's hard to make a story not seem one sided when only ONE side will talk!!
    Still not right.

A balanced story doesn't use emotional tones, it is the facts only.
    That is what gave that one away as a propaganda piece.
    As I heard, par for the course for that newspaper/magazine.

I thought journalist schools taught better the basics of how to evaluate what others write.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    WOW Even with off topic day open, someone could not resist bumping this thread, Must be an addiction. Nope not taking the bait anymore.
    Have at it.
    Did you not do just that?

Just think, how does that extraneous comment contribute to this discussion?

1 members found this post helpful.

And your point?

Pot meet kettle.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    And your point?
    A bit of humor, that I guess is lost on those of the comrade persuasion?

Don't give up your day job for a gig on Comedy Central.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Laura

Please find for me Proof of a test that Bute causes cancer
    Please find proof to substantiate your concerns about slaughter horse meat safety by proving anyone has DIED due to consuming horsemeat

All your side ever lacks is PROOF
    Who needs proof of what it can/could/does cause in humans, the buying organizations have banned it and other commonly used horse medications.
    That should be enough for it to not be there, that powers that be said no.

What [doesn't] shock me is that the pro-slaughter people all keep insisting all myriad of claims of 'it won't hurt you' while the government agencies insist they do not want any of them, at any level.

That you can not accept that the buying agency and the government agencies have laid out parameters for substances [not just bute but many] and agree that those regulations should be adhered to, is a perfect illustration of why many of us do not buy the claims that if allowed to open new/more plants it will be done better/more humanely and rules followed.

Even my young son knows that when he's told 'no', it means no.

I heard they found horse meat in Kale now....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

April Fool???

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I knew there was a reason that I hate kale...seriously...I really hate kale, the only vegetable I can't stand.

Default Hot off the press!

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Default That's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    A nationally known breeding facility of grade horses, classic!!