The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    Fast food uses old dairy cows.
    Dairy cows are very lean when compared with beef cattle. No fast food place could rely soley on meat from dairy cows and get the flavor that they do - which, of course, comes from fat.

McDonald's in specific is the largest consumer of American beef in the country; there just aren't that many dairy cows to supply the demand.

FWIW, this is a response from McDonald's to an inquiry about their beef:

"McDonald's hamburgers are 100 percent pure domestic beef without fillers or seasonings. To maintain our customers' expectations and preference for lean, flavorful hamburgers, we carefully select fine cuts of grain fed beef and leaner cuts from dairy cattle. This is a typical combination for quality ground beef. More importantly, we have found that this combination results in a flavorful hamburger that also has a significantly lower percentage of fat (20 percent) than the government limits (30 percent).

"Contrary to your reader's letter, we never under any circumstances use waste or scraps. We use only select cuts of grain fed beef. Our ground beef suppliers are designated solely to McDonald's and their facilities are considered the most modern in the industry. In addition to meeting USDA requirements, our suppliers have worked closely with us to develop very strict, detailed specifications and requirements that are strictly enforced."
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

1 members found this post helpful.

Mc D's have some local feedlots just feeding for them to their specifications.
    They also have very strict BQA protocols and independent firms overseeing it all for many other points, including how their animals are handled and that to the highest standards.

So are many good companies, but all that good work falls flat on the face of one mistake or fraud case, on one abuse video or someone with an agenda against meat or big companies touring the media to sell their book.

That is today's world for you, you do the best you can, it is never good enough, but you keep on doing the best you can and learning all along how to do better.

Well, well, well......

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive..._boss_admi.php

So who is going to get found out next?

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

And then there is 'fraud' in the U.S. with fish:

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2013/02/21/...udy/?hpt=hp_c3

Dairy cows are kept until their production drops below a certain percentage. Then, they are slaughtered (as opposed to being wasted). The beef is used by fast food restaurants. It is still beef, after all.

My extended family owned a dairy and when we would visit, they usually had hamburger from a dairy cow who slipped and fell. Beef is beef. Dairy cow hamburger works. The issue many people have are with the medications given to dairy cattle, but that is actually minimal because you can't use her milk if she's being treated for anything.

Did you know that every part of a slaughtered cow is used except their lungs?

I get really tired of the AR people spreading lies and propaganda.

I also get frustrated with people who paint sunshine and daisies as to the way we raise animals in this country. We do a very good job feeding a lot of people. Folks like Dr. Temple Grandin have worked tirelessly to make the animals' end the least stressful that it can be. We have a very safe food but it isn't a perfect industry. Everyone that works with these animals should keep looking for ways to improve.

There isn't enough money in raising animals to do it unless you actually care about the animals. I know plenty of big cattle producers that name all their cows and know them by name and personality.

When the industry cheats and lies to the consumer, it hurts everyone. Luckily, we haven't had issues here recently (except the fish article? I have to read that).

5 members found this post helpful.

Dairy cows are kept until their production drops below a certain percentage. Then, they are slaughtered (as opposed to being wasted). The beef is used by fast food restaurants. It is still beef, after all.

My extended family owned a dairy and when we would visit, they usually had hamburger from a dairy cow who slipped and fell. Beef is beef. Dairy cow hamburger works. The issue many people have are with the medications given to dairy cattle, but that is actually minimal because you can't use her milk if she's being treated for anything.

Did you know that every part of a slaughtered cow is used except their lungs?

I get really tired of the AR people spreading lies and propaganda.

I also get frustrated with people who paint sunshine and daisies as to the way we raise animals in this country. We do a very good job feeding a lot of people. Folks like Dr. Temple Grandin have worked tirelessly to make the animals' end the least stressful that it can be. We have a very safe food but it isn't a perfect industry. Everyone that works with these animals should keep looking for ways to improve.

There isn't enough money in raising animals to do it unless you actually care about the animals. I know plenty of big cattle producers that name all their cows and know them by name and personality.

When the industry cheats and lies to the consumer, it hurts everyone. Luckily, we haven't had issues here recently (except the fish article? I have to read that).

I have actually recipes for lung....not that I would ever want to cook any....
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

2 members found this post helpful.

Food fraud has been around since, well, since there was food. It is about greedily increasing profits, and, in some industries, where fraud is as rampant as drugs in sports, it is about staying in business. The production of "extra virgin olive oil" is one of those businesses and the fraud goes back to the ancients.

On that subject-

http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Virginit...by+tom+mueller
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

My husband just read a book on olive oil and the issues with labelling. As an aside, Trader Joe's olive oil wins taste tests. We bought some and it really is tasty.

Recipe for lung? Outstanding! LOL!

My husband just read a book on olive oil and the issues with labelling.
    Well, yeah. Like a label saying it is "100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil" when it is actually hazelnut oil. Kinda like selling horse labeled as beef. Especially when REAL EVOO is expensive to produce and hazelnut oil is CHEAP and plentiful.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    LOL

I am sure there is more to that one tan the 'it might be' contaminated...

in a documentation about american burger joints in China, the biggest thing the manager lamented about was the lack of food safety in China
    And considering they do eat anything that moves, except bicycles, I don't think horse is the problem....
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    LOL

And considering they do eat anything that moves, except bicycles, I don't think horse is the problem....
    ROFL you owe me a new keyboard and monitor
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

"The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair outlined the abuses in the meat packing industry many years ago, and don't forget there have been mad cow disease, e coli and other food borne illness epidemics forever. I have the feeling that the only people who know what their food is made of raise everything at their own ranch or farm, and there aren't many of those. The horse meat situation just keeps growing and expanding. I wonder how many people have been sickened with exposure to various drugs in the meat, and never knew why. I still recall when the early puberty cases were traced back to antibiotics in chicken.

I don't know who decided to do the COTH article photo of the horse-shaped burger, but that was genius.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oh come on!

Thumbs down Say it isn't so, IKEA!

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post

Oh you think they went out and ordered horse balls, I mean horse meat balls?!

I never ate the meat balls at Ikea... but where will it end?
    However, I feel we are finally figuring out where all that horse meat is being used... because it sure was not being sold in stores...

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I never ate the meat balls at Ikea... but where will it end?
    However, I feel we are finally figuring out where all that horse meat is being used... because it sure was not being sold in stores...

and somehow it amuses me...
    After all sooo many people proclaimed to never have eaten horse EVER....
    let's face it, most people can't tell one red meat from another.

(and the horse meat itself does not bother me, the cheating part is revolting!)

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    and somehow it amuses me...
    After all sooo many people proclaimed to never have eaten horse EVER....
    let's face it, most people can't tell one red meat from another.

(and the horse meat itself does not bother me, the cheating part is revolting!)
    THAT amuses you?
    The idea that people that would not knowing ever eat horsemeat, yet were fraudulently scammed into eating it, is somehow AMUSING? People have been exposed to potential carcinigens that have been proven to cause things like aplastic anemia, yet it is AMUSING?