The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Default Wow..."Horsemeat found in beef burgers on sale in UK and Ireland"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-euro...42#TWEET527538

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Horse DNA has been found in some beef burgers being sold
    in UK and Irish supermarkets, the Republic of Ireland's food safety authority (FSAI) has said.

The FSAI said the meat came from two processing plants in Ireland, Liffey Meats and Silvercrest Foods, and the Dalepak Hambleton plant in Yorkshire.

It said they posed no health risk.

The burgers were on sale in Tesco and Iceland in the UK and Ireland. In the
    Republic of Ireland they were on sale in Dunnes Stores, Lidl, and Aldi.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

1 members found this post helpful.

oh well...

there is a reason the horsemeat place has to have a horse head hanging over the door.

I wonder if they routinely test DNA or if they were tipped off....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    oh well...

there is a reason the horsemeat place has to have a horse head hanging over the door.

I wonder if they routinely test DNA or if they were tipped off....
    Hmm. I'd bet tipped myself. If they were doing it "regularly" it's pretty easy I'd imagine to dodge.....

On the principle, it does not bug me too much that horse was in the food.

The problem is that it was deceitful. Truth in labeling, etc. and nearly 30%, that is NOT an accident!

(but I have always thought horse people should be more honest about it. Like rabbit breeders. At their shows they don't just have classes for the prettiest bun, but also for the tastiest, plus the stuff that can be done with fur....no one is crying about the mean ole breeder flooding the rescue market...)

Reminds me of a story my dad told me many years ago, about this wholesale guy, having this AMAZING cheap beef....until it came out it put a little 'hop' in your step: People became ill with something they could have never gotten from beef....only from Kangaroo! Oops?
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

I always thought horsemeat was a "delicacy" and as such would naturally be labelled correctly and cost a lot more than beef. This gives me reservations about eating red meat if I ever get to travel to Europe.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

4 members found this post helpful.

Reminds me of the kosher butcher in Baltimore...it was discovered he was selling non kosher chickens...they found the Tyson packaging in his garbage.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by cu.at.x View Post
    I always thought horsemeat was a "delicacy" and as such would naturally be labelled correctly and cost a lot more than beef. This gives me reservations about eating red meat if I ever get to travel to Europe.
    lol, the usual bs....
    Before meat became this readily available horse meat was poor people meat. You just didn't get beef every day.

Besides, it was in hamburger and other prepared items, hardly where the best cuts go!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Reminds me of the kosher butcher in Baltimore...it was discovered he was selling non kosher chickens...they found the Tyson packaging in his garbage.
    That's so lame but I don't doubt things like that happen. I can't remember for the life of me right now where it was (or who told me this story) but I remember *someone* telling me of a place where they were selling regular fruits and veggies as organic...complete with pricing the regular produce as if it were organic. If it dawns on me I'll edit to add.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

lol, the usual bs....
    Before meat became this readily available horse meat was poor people meat. You just didn't get beef every day.

Besides, it was in hamburger and other prepared items, hardly where the best cuts go!
    Didn't they used to feed lobsters to prisoners in the US cause lobster was regarded as gross by the general public? My how things change!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Growing up right after WWII in Europe, butcher stores had rabbit carcasses hanging to sell with hair on their tail.
    That assured the public it didn't use to meow.
    It seems that, without heads and skin, both look the same hanging there.

Of course, at that time, there was not much meat around, no one was going to be very particular where their next skimpy, rationed bites were coming from.

Those that sell produce that is not as advertised, no matter what it is, are just crooks.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Hm. I wondered why one of my friends (who happens to work for the BBC) statuses said "horseburger." I feel I can't be against people eating horse meat, because I am a meat eater myself and that would be just a little hypocritical.

As someone mentioned above, its more the fact that they got away with being so deceitful is extremely disturbing.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

In New York City they used to make them dye the horse meat. In theory to keep it from getting in the human food supply. Think that was in the 50's

The problem is that it was deceitful. Truth in labeling, etc. and nearly 30%, that is NOT an accident!
    Exactly. It is not illegal to buy or sell horse meat in the UK, but it is illegal not to declare every ingredient on food labels.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Hm. I wondered why one of my friends (who happens to work for the BBC) statuses said "horseburger." I feel I can't be against people eating horse meat, because I am a meat eater myself and that would be just a little hypocritical.

As someone mentioned above, its more the fact that they got away with being so deceitful is extremely disturbing.
    Full disclosure: "Y'wanna side of Baytril and Dex with that?"

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Full disclosure: "Y'wanna side of Baytril and Dex with that?"
    not sure, they way everything hurts, I want a shot of bute with my burger....

Just a side note, filling horses up with medications of various origins is in most places not as common as it is in the US.
    Playing vet is frowned upon, even if the doc might show you how to administer shots so they don't have to come by every day for certain things. But a barn first aid kit as filled as the average US barn seems to have? You'll be hard pressed to find that!

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    Didn't they used to feed lobsters to prisoners in the US cause lobster was regarded as gross by the general public? My how things change!
    Lobster was considered a poor man's food, not eaten in polite society.
    more for us!
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

They are suprised horse meat is in the burger?????????

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    They are suprised horse meat is in the burger?????????
    well.
    Yes.
    Because the stores bought beef.
    it's as plain as that, you sell beef, you gotta wrap up cow, not horse.
    The sticky wicket in this gig.

And I am pretty sure it was not about the meat itself, but the possible fraud connected with it.

of course, like 40 years ago the hot dog vendor at a small German horse show jokingly yelled at the PR guys: Turn of the Cavalry March, the sausages are jumping off the grill! (I always thought that was a HILARIOUS joke! )

Hi Alagirl-----how are you????

Ouch: Horsemeat scandal wipes £300 million of Tesco's market value, shares down 1% in trading - @Guardian