The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can you trailer 2 non-friend horses together?

This might just be a thread to reaffirm that I can't, but I figured I'd ask some second opinions.
    My DD's small pony is a saint to ride but a witch to other horses. She chases down my gelding completely unprovoked, and does not really let up. If she feels he's not standing in the correct spot, she'll run across a 2 acre field to kick him in the face. My gelding has never retaliated. He is the biggest weenie.
    I would like to trailer them both up for a lesson, it just makes more financial/time sense to trailer them both, DD gets a lesson, then me, but this pony is such a witch that I am very apprehensive that during the trailering she's going to unleash on him. The divider doesn't go to the floor, so she has plenty of space to kick him.

Have you ever successfully trailered a meanie with another horse ?Or am I destined to trailer them seperately, which is my assumption.

Assuming you have a regular partial divider, and a head divider (in a regular 2-horse), I'd think you'd be fine. I've stuck all sorts of horses next to each other with no issue. I won't use dividers that go to the floor because some horses need to have a wide stance to balance.

The only way I could see one horse actually kicking the other is if the pony is quite small, and the divider ends quite high (above the ponies stifle).

What kind of setup in the trailer? Is there a head divider? Is it a slant load or a straight load? If the trailer is moving, the pony might be so occupied with keeping her feet that she won't kick. On the other hand, I once trailered two ponies who were not good buddies - my bottom of the pecking order mare spent the the entire trip kicking the wall of the trailer every time the dominant mare made a face at her. Full divider, and tied so they couldn't reach each other, but even while rolling down the road she was kicking. 8 hours each way. I think we did that trip with those two ponies twice. Never got better. But it wasn't the bully doing the kicking, she was just making faces. And the wimpy mare was kicking the outside wall, not the divider. Do you do shipping boots? That would help keep the wimpy boy safer. Maybe.

Straight load, head divider, partial divider. She is 11.2, he is 14h. So not a huge differential, but still enough.
    I do have shipping boots but I don't typically use them, I could, of course.
    I too figured that she would be too preoccupied with keeping her balance that she wouldn't have much time and leverage to really get him.

Well personally I'd give it a shot. I trailer my gelding with a super witchy tb mare, she will kick him if he's within 10 feet of her on the ground. In the trailer she makes plenty of faces and will squeal at him, but so far we've never actually had a problem. Now my gelding is dominant over her in the field, but that has never stopped her from kicking. I just make sure they have plenty of hay and not let them stand around in the trailer. We load, we leave, we get there, we immediately unload.

3 members found this post helpful.

Is the pony better behaved when in hand or under saddle? The nasty behavior only in pasture? If so, then I'd give it a try for sure. Not quite the same as mine is neither a pony nor a girl, but he hates other horses in turnout and can't go out with anyone at all or he is the same way (chase them down for no reason). But he's fine when in hand or ridden with others, and also behaves well on the trailer. I'd put the "nice" horse on first then load the pony, as I would not want her pitching a fit while trying to load the other one.

I've trailered my gelding with another person's horse in her horse trailer. Her horse does not really like my gelding and makes faces at him when we meet to ride. We were going to the beach so she picked us up on the way. It is a slant load but no dividers.

She made lots of faces and acted like she was going to kick getting him in. It sounded like there was a little fussing on the trip but nothing too bad. He walked off the trailer looking just fine. I suspect she made more nasty faces and swung her butt at him but never actually kicked.

That was on a slant. I would think it would be harder to kick out to the side. I guess if she was really, really nasty and determined...

I have. It seems that they spend their energy on balancing in the trailer and forget that they aren't best buddies. Load the gelding first, then load the pony and tie her so she can't get at him. Have hay in front of them and don't let them sit in the trailer but get on the road asap.

1 members found this post helpful.

She only is a PITA when I'm leading them too close to each other, and in the pasture. They are stalled side-by-side with a half-wall, and he sometimes hangs his head over on her side to say hi and she sometimes gets after him, sometimes not. Depends on her mood.

I did pony her with my DD on board, and me on my gelding, and she kicked at him, and thankfully my DD did awesome. Then it was back to normal. I think its when she is too close head-to-head with him. If he's ahead of her, she's ok. But if she gets up near his face she gets nasty.
    I don't take her crap, and I don't avoid putting them together. I lead them together and discipline her if she starts with the meanie faces. She is a good listener on the lead. You can see her face like "FINE! I'll stop"

Many years ago my sister had to haul her mare to a show with another mare. The two mares we definitely NOT friends at home. However, upon arrival my sister's horse turned into a total herd bound ass about the other mare. The other mare was less stupid about it, but was also not acting her normal self. My sister's mare had a total meltdown anytime GF was out of site. They hauled back home, went back to the field and proceeded to hate each other.

So sometimes non-buddies have a way of working things out.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Considering I had a horse incur a broken splint bone from a kick with a partial divider, I would advise caution. Some thing you might consider are a short trip around your farm with you in the back. If the pony begins kicking at your gelding, it sounds like you have a good handle on the level of discipline she might need. You could also try fastening a piece of rubber stall mat to the divide extending it to the floor. Or you could ask your vet about sedation.

I agree with the rubber partition. I think then you could feel pretty safe about them together.

My pony is a complete and total witch with other horses. She's rotten. In the pasture, ponying, etc. Trailering, as long as no noses can touch and properly tied she trailers next to anyone. I'd 2nd the trying a short jaunt first, and keeping occupied with hay, but for me, it works really well. Helps that mine likes traveling places

I've seen it work both ways-if you get moving and drive and don't have long stops and waiting periods while you're traveling mortal horse enemies put aside their differences and wonder where they're going together.

But if there will be a lot of fiddling and down time on the trailer they will take their aggravations out on each other. If you do it, get moving and stay moving. They might even turn out to be better friends than they were going into it.

We had a three horse slant, and we put the good horse in the front.. and then the naughty mare as close to the back as we could, tied very tight! It worked out JUST fine. When we tried to put her in front she tried to kick the gelding's brains out and we both fled the trailer! So I decided to switch it around, fixed the divider that fell on her.. And they rode like saints all the way home with that much space between them.

Not sure what kind of trailer you have though!
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

I agree to trying it and not letting them hangout in the trailer. It's worth a shot.

I've got the same situation - a gelding who loves everyone and a mare who kicks first and asks questions later. I had a double-thick stall mat hung from the partial divider and of course I have a head divider. In my case, I'm ok with having the divider go to the floor because it's a big trailer and 2 smaller horses, so they've got plenty of room to have a wide stance for balance. OP - If your nice gelding is big (obviously the pony isn't), this may not work for you.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Another thought - maybe give them something really really tasty to worry about on the ride, so they won't worry about each other.

I tie a small bucket where it's high enough not to be a worry of getting a foot caught. I put a handful of grain/carrots/horse cookies in there prior to loading my mare (I've done this for years). My mare has always been really good about self-loading and I think this def helps her be happy about it.

Anyway, maybe try something like that with a bit of mash or something really yummy, or some alfalfa pellets. This way they're cleaning up their snack and not even thinking about each other.

My divider is not solid, so I tied them so their heads were a bit apart. It was surprising how they got along when they got there because they had nobody else in the strange environment. The journey went well because they were too busy standing up, I guess. Don't have them anymore, so no problem.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

i have a gelding 'mem' who hates my gelding 'diesel'. mem will and has gone threw fences and grabbed diesel by the throat, he is just that agressive with him. mem goes out with my submissive gelding and mare with no issues but for some reason wants to eat diesel. they are race horses and are kept at home, race weekly and trailer to a nearby track during the week to exercise. they spent all last year on the trailer together a couple times a week and did not have one issue. straight load two horse trailer, partial divider, no boots or bandages, safety ties they easily could have broke if they pulled hard enough. no problems