The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Since we're talking about Butts how about sore Breast from riding

I'm not big breasted and do wear an old sport bra but lately my breast and nipples have been hurting after riding and from using the weight machines at the gym. My Doc says its because we have very small musculature under our breast but hey I'm a B cup and over 50 so why is it bothering me now.I hate a tight bra feels like I'm wearing a girth!
    OK butt butter for Butts now how about Breasts?

Enell sports bra!

I wear a workout top over my sports bra. Keeps 'em cinched in and under control!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

you need a new sports bra. If you don't like a "tight bra", avoid the "compression" type of sports bra and get another kind that will support in comfort- mine are so comfy I often wear them all day when doing non-sports. Title nine has a large selection. For riding, select a bra for "high impact" activities.

3 members found this post helpful.

Are you in menopause? It is possible that hormonal changes are making your breasts more tender. I know when I became pregnant with my first child I thought I was going to die from how sensitive and sore my breasts were and that was just everyday activities.
    Honestly I don't think that sore pecs from working out and sore breasts are anywhere near the same feeling so I doubt it's from that.

most sports bras have a life of about a year, so if it's been over a year since you bought one, it's time to do that again.

if it persists I recommend seeing an endocrinologist.

I'm a 32H and I wear enell
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Lynx bras are compression but they don't feel as tight as say, my Panache Sport. Even at a B cup you need good support with something as intensive as riding.

Cabbage leaves are recommended for soreness from nursing- maybe that could help?

I have the Enell & it def keeps everything in place (only thing that does). However, I do often get sore shoulders from the, ahem, load.

That's typically a sign of your bras not fitting, Hippolyta. Try going down in band size and up in cup size.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I started the Butts thread but glad to see someone ealse chime in on riding discomfort. As I am a AA cup I haven't experienced this problem from riding but I am a serious gym goer and I regularly have chest muscle pain/discomfort from lifting weights. Yes as women we have smaller chest muscles and a difficult time developing bigger / stronger pecks. Be careful when doing exercises like flyes where you have those muscles really stretched that you watch your form you could tear the muscle at the connection to the sternum Iv seen it from hard working farm girls bucking bales.

I would agree with the majority a new bra is probable what you need.

Otherwise unfortunatley Iv been in the gym now for about 15+ years and I can do 70 correct male pushups so my chest is very strong for a woman and I still have soreness whenever I work my chest.
    Its the Journey not the Destination.

When I got awful chafing from running (never happened with riding), I went into the running store and got a female running clerk. Her response: "Sports Bras should never get a birthday!" Harsh but true. I bought several great, supportive running bras and ditched all the old ones. Even when I looked at them and said, "I could still ride in this," (to my very old bra) I tossed it and got new onese for riding.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

1 members found this post helpful.

Since I posted in the butt thread I will also post here to keep it even :-). I'm a 34D so by necessity I am somewhat a connoisseur of supportive bras. My favorite high-impact bra is actually the Nike Victory with an adjustable back. You can change the length of the straps and the band if necessary which is nice because I don't like being locked in.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am post menopausal so its not hormones .I am using light weights, pull downs and arm machines at the gym about 45 minutes of arm work. I've heard even men can get bruised nipples from friction when running but I don't ever run just fast walking on the treadmill.
    I hate bras and have only ever worn them in public.
    This morning my nipples are painful no discharge so its a mystery. Maybe its from mucking out in this wet weather?

Just came back from Dicks sporting goods and should have had a camera of me trying to get in and out of those sports bras. Some of them I had to take off down my legs!
    Hopeless
    a friend said to just vet wrap them in pretty colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    I have the Enell & it def keeps everything in place (only thing that does). However, I do often get sore shoulders from the, ahem, load.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    That's typically a sign of your bras not fitting, Hippolyta. Try going down in band size and up in cup size.
    What petstore said....all your support should be coming from the band, not the straps!!

Aren't you in my area? If so, call It's All About Horses and ask for the Bra Lady's phone #. I have heard she has helped many a lady in the area find a good sport bra for riding.

Sounds like its time for a new bra! I highly recommend the Shock Absorber brand. I have their ultimate run bra. I've never found a more supportive sports bra.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just came back from Dicks sporting goods and should have had a camera of me trying to get in and out of those sports bras. Some of them I had to take off down my legs!
    Hopeless
    I've never been able to find an even remotely decent sports bra at one of those sporting goods stores. I strongly recommend you call Title Nine and explain in great detail what you want and see what they recommend. Yes, you can get sports bras that are easy to get on and off, that are comfortable, and are even flattering.