The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about buying through trainer ettiquette

Trainer emailed me list of horses for sale.

One horse is of interest to me. It is not currently at her barn, and was only briefly in her program, although seller rides with her on a different horse. Low end horse.

Asked for sellers contact info so I can discuss directly as I want to know about what all horse has done, but trainer avoided that question...she did however forward me an email from seller that included photos and stats.

Wrong for me to use that email to ask simple questions?
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Wrong? No.

But it might not please your trainer if she wants to do the communication. Every trainer is different in this regard. Some are happy to have clients do a lot of the "legwork," others don't like that. I would sit down with her and ask her how she would like the process to go. Ask her if she'd mind you contacting some sellers directly or if she'd prefer to handle that. This way you won't end up in a situation where she becomes annoyed that you didn't tell her before you talked to a seller.

Good luck with your horse search

Not only is there nothing wrong with it, but I would question why the trainer doesn't seem to allow it. As a buyer, I certainly don't mind if my trainer does the initial leg work, though I'm happy to, as well. But at some point I want to ask some questions of the seller directly and see the expression on his/her face or hear any pregnant pauses in the conversation.

I would ask again and see what your trainer says.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

If you asked for sales horses and she provided you the lead(s)? Mailed you a sales list with that horse on it? And you are an exsisting client?

Thats' part of her job and how she earns a living so it would be appropriate to go through her in all dealings-especially if the horse is going into her barn with you. The sellers, who are current clients, may very well prefer not to deal with buyers or be contacted and let the trainer do that-couple of bad buy/sell experiences lead many people to use an agent.

If you are not an exsisting client and/or did not ask for sales horse information or tell her you were looking to buy? You could do an end around but don't expect a glowing recommendation, bouquet of roses or any future dealings, buy or sell for that one. Small world.

Any time you get info from a trainer/agent, always ask "what is this going to cost me" up front before taking any offered info. Good idea to get it in writing too. Helacious battles and lawsuits over misunderstandings in buy/sell deals involving an agent or other third party.

So call trainer and ask what it is going to cost you for her to provide you with that information or represent you as agent at a firm rate or %. You can always demand to write the check directly to the seller with a seperate commission check directly to the trainer/agent. Thats what I have been doing for the last 8 or so I have leased or bought. I won't deal any other way.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

1 members found this post helpful.

I believe CHT is a trainer herself and was meaning another trainer mailed her a list of horses knowing she is looking........is this correct?

Happens around here a lot and yes, generally the trainer that mailed the list is the person to deal with for any actual negotations, etc. They have not kept the seller of the horse secret to you (as they sent you an email and photos) so also no problem to ask the seller some questions either. When my mare was for sale a buyer sent me an email asking questions and requesting a video. No problems at all. They try out and subsequent negotiations went through my trainer AND hers but the the cheque was written to me and we both signed the bill of sale (not our trainers).
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

yes, eclipse has it right.

i decided to go ahead and email the owner direct, but also keep the trainer contact in the loop. i think the trainer didn't think about how i would be able to see the seller's email to be honest, but i really want to learn more about what else the horse has done.

i am more used to buying backyard pets than through trainers.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!