The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventing Barns near Southlake, TX??

Hi guys!

I'd like to preface my question with the disclaimer that YES I did a search prior to posting! I got a lot of good information from some older threads, but I wanted to do a check and see if anyone has any other recommendations.

DH just had his second interview for a job that would be in Southlake beginning this summer. Also on the table is a job in OKC and one in Charlotte. We are hoping to have all contracts in writing in the next couple weeks so we can go ahead and make a decision about where we will be moving. This has been going on since AUGUST, and is slowly killing me. I just want to know where we're going to wind up!

At any rate, does anyone have any suggestions for barns within a reasonable drive from the Southlake/Keller area? I would love to have some form of XC or riding out on-site. I MAY be bringing current lease horse with me, but I'm not sure yet. Care is of the utmost importance, of course, but I'm also wanting to find a trainer who enjoys working with adults and is fairly active at both unrecognized and recognized events.

Based on my research, these farms might fit the bill:
    -Curraugh in Burleson
    -Centerline Stables in Ft. Worth
    -Buck Branch in Wilmer
    -Lankmark Eventing in Aubrey

Of course, all of these are at least a 40 minute drive from our possible neighborhood areas. Are there any others out there anyone can recommend? How about anyone to steer clear of? PMs, of course, are welcome!

TIA!

Sent you a PM

Gold Chip in Bartonville/Argyle is probably the closest, but Mike and Heather don't really do unrecognized.

What a lot of people down here do is board at another barn and haul in to Gold Chip for lessons.

Other barns in that general areal:

Stuart Black is in Argyle at Roadrunner Farm

Quail Run is in Bartonville and hosts a number of unrecog. HT. They bring Mary D'Arcy in frequently for clinics.

Willow Draw is in Weatherford. They too host a number of schooling opportunities.

I think getting to Buck Branch or Curragh from Southlake would be nightmarish.

In the metroplex, the number of miles has very little to do with the length of time it takes to get there!

As you're looking, I encourage you to make the drives during the same hours you would typically be driving it.

Thought of more...Kady Eykamp is now at Normandy Farm in Keller.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, TBFAN and CM!

If you were someone who liked to go the more independent route, are there any of the above listed trainers you might avoid? I mean, I want good instruction and guidance, but I also want to avoid the whole H/J -esque trainer as god mentality.

I definitely agree with the distance being killer...I really appreciate the closer options. I definitely want to look into Quail Run, but their website is no bueno. I guess I'll just have to add it to the list of things to do next time we're in Plano (my hometown).

I do think Gold Chip is out of my budget as far as boarding goes... , but I would LOVE to lesson with them. I actually boarded at the old Tipasa for a couple years when I was at OU...even though the BO (not the Hubers) was a bit different, it was what gave me the eventing bug.

Thanks!

You have a PM

Hmm, Quail Run's page works for me - try Googling Quail Run Farm in Bartonville - should come up that way.
    Having the option to ride with several trainers was one of the things I liked about boarding at Quail Run. The owner is knowledgeable about nearly everyone in the area, and they are less than 3 miles from Gold Chip and about 5 miles from Roadrunner and Stuart Black.
    I have cliniced with Stuart and like him quite a bit, but am not competitive enough with enough $$ to be in a "program" with a trainer at Mike's level. It's nice to have options, though.
    I ride with Mary every chance I get, which since I moved, isn't often enough!

Meant to add you should join the North Texas Eventing Association page on Facebook - I'm sure you'll get some suggestions there too

Of the trainers listed, Angela and Noreen from Curragh are both actively competing at P or higher, Mike and Heather are competing at P and higher, as is Stuart and Kady (though Kady sold her ul horses last year, I'm sure she'll be moving some up to P) and I think Rebecca Brown (one of the trainers at Buck Branch) has a P horse and Becky Roper (Landmark) does as well. The others either aren't competing any longer or at lower levels...take that as you will.

Mary D'Arcy is a former Irish event team coach and is wonderful to work with. She typically travels around to a group of barns on a regular basis.

Quail Run's website isn't fancy, but Jan Walling is great to work with and there is usually a waiting list to get in to her barn (not a lot of boarders). You might want to email or call her.

There are a couple of other barns that fit your description but they are beyond Plano and that drive would be horrendous!

I second joining the NTEA FB group.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

If you are looking for a good upper level coach and not just a "general" eventing coach then 100% I raise my hand for Kadi Eykamp.

I went with my friend to her first 2 lessons and the flat lesson in particular was really full of greatness.
    Enough so that I decided right there that I would start hauling in for lessons as soon as my latest flavor of the year is ready.

She welcomes those who would like to haul in...though oddly enough she doesn't have many that do!

Normandy (in Keller) is very close to Southlake--like 20 minutes.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I used to live in Southlake, and of all the above barns mentioned, Normandy is the closest. I've never met Kady though, so no opinion there. My vet says she's nice. LOL. If you don't care about having a resident trainer, I would also recommend Quail Run. Jan was just on FB a couple of days ago to say that she had openings.

Of all the trainers previously mentioned Mary D'arcy is also my favorite. She stays really busy though, and I lost my regular lesson spot with her when I had to take some time off last year. TBfan and I are riding in a clinic with her this weekend though.

Becky Roper (I believe she's at Landmark) also rides with Mary.

A couple of the others mentioned, I'll just subscribe to "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

1 members found this post helpful.

Jan was incredibly kind to me when I was in the area and she knows everything that is available in that area, I'd contact her, just call or email.

Thank you guys so, so much for all of your insight. As soon as we know where we are going (hopefully within a couple weeks, gah!) I will start contacting people...most definitely starting with Quail Run.

I'm hoping where ever we go I'm going to make good horsey friends. I have the BEST barn setup here in NC that I've ever had. All the girls I ride with are friends (and would be even without horses), and all of our husbands are friends with each other and go on boys trips and whatnot together. All of their kids are like my kids (since to date I have none!). It makes me really sad to leave , but all of these wonderful suggestions have me hopeful that even if I can't replicate what I have here, at least I will be happy in my new horsey home.

Thanks bunches!

And if you're looking to buy a house I know of a nice one for sale in that area, pm me if you're interested.