The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Driving Down to Florida & Need Pony Saddle

So the title is a little confusing but my sister is driving down from Canada to West Palm & I've asked her to pick me up a cheap, used pony saddle for my 3 yo daughter as I can't find one up around my area.

I need a 10" western or a 12" english with a deep seat & I don't want to spend more than $100.

Finding one in Florida would be ideal but she'll be passing through OH, Kentucky, TN & Georgia as well so if you know of a consignment tack store with tiny saddles, please pass it along

Also looking for a helmet and here my hunter princess comes out...I'd like a show helmet since she'll be doing leadlines this year. Obviously, being 3, she has a rather small head so I probably will need to go to an actual children's/pony tack shop that specializes in miniature riding gear.

Any suggestions?
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

That may be very hard to find in a tack shop for the $100 plus the extra gas driving around off her route. What about tree size? I recommend looking at Ebay, Tacktrader.com or doing a national search on Craigslist and just buying something from an individual and paying the shipping. Would a Wintec work? That way the tree could be adjusted.

Actually I thought about a wintec; we had a small one ages ago (wish I could find it now) and it was great - came with a strap across the front and the leathers went REALLY small. I'd like to try and get a medium tree so it can be versatile for the next couple of years. She won't be doing anything too strenuous for a while (mostly walking with a few steps of trot) so the tree size shouldn't affect her mount too much.

I thought it would be better too to try and buy from an individual - just a little tricky with not knowing the area. I guess that's what google is for.

Tree size needed? I have a 10" western, but it's for a narrower horse or pony. Won't fit a big shouldered anything....but it's in great shape!
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

I agree about the Wintec I have a tiny one I think it is a 14 maybe smaller. It is what my daughter started nice secure saddle soft and light weight fits a myriad of ponies.

I've considered selling ours now that she has out grown it but .. good little saddles are so hard to find. This is what we have but in Brown http://www.wintec-saddles.com/produc...se500Pony.html
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Did you find the wintec to be a little flat? I think I remember ours was a little flatter than I would like. The western saddles seem to be a little deeper and since my LO is extra small for a 3 yo, I thought she might find it more secure to be in a western. Only problem is, she will be doing leadline this year so will need an english saddle for her shows. I figured I would just borrow one as we did last year but it would be kind of nice to have our own that fits her properly.

I'm a little up in the air on that....for those who started their kids young; did you start with a western saddle? I want her to be able to ride around in the ring on her own a bit. Other than having to show in an english saddle, the only other drawback I see to a western saddle is the stirrup length. I vaguely remember from my early childhood that the fenders were always too long.

Anyone have recommendations for a secure english saddle for toddlers?

I just had to laugh - the 11" wintec comes with a 52" girth...as a package!! lol

Anyway, I can't decide if I want something show-worthy or just something comfortable. Can I kill two birds with one stone and still pay less than $100? I don't think so but in an ideal world, that is what I would want.

OP Our 14" Collegiate was on consignment at Barn Door Consignments in Aberdeen, NC (next to Southern Pines). Not exactly the size you're looking for but they had it priced at $350...it may've sold last week as they called w/an offer and we countered a little less but that may give you an idea of how the shops are pricing stuff. We didn't tell them what we wanted. Ours was in like new condition as all we used it for was a couple of years of leadline.

Anyway, the folks at Barn Door get in ALL sorts of horse stuff b/c of where they are located and they take western, english, racing, driving, hunting, etc. stuff...and horsey home decor. Cool store - you never know what you're going to find. They could ship something to you in FL...it might be worth a call. Call them at 910-944-5011. They're closed Wednesdays but weekdays are 12-5 and Saturday 9-1. They had teensie paddock boots and small helmets, as well; plus other kid stuff for the teensies.

I found a 14" collegiate for my DD for $200 at Ricks. Www.saddlesouce.com

Ours is in excellent condition.

14" is too big which is why I am considering a western saddle.

I don't even know if they make leather english saddles in a seat smaller than 14".