The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    269

    Default Foal-proofing round pen panels

    We have a foal due in about 6 weeks (unplanned - long story short, mare was leased to a friend and their pony stud got into her field). I have absolutely zero experience with babies so I am trying to make the best of our small farm. I brought her home with a mini companion and we have added round pen panels to the front of our barn (12x12 stall with overhang) so that there is a 24x30 area section off the front of her stall (half of it is covered by an overhang). The barn is inside the pasture, which is surrounded by 3-board fencing.

    I want to "foal-proof" the round pen panels so the baby doesn't slip through the bottom, and was thinking of using this.

    Anyone done this before? What did you use to fasten it (zip ties, metal ties, etc)? Is 48in high enough or should I go 60? Did you use something else that worked better/was cheaper?

    Any advice greatly appreciated - the anxiety is starting to set in!
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

    Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep. 19, 2003
    Location
    Brentwood, NH
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    We adopted a burro through the BLM and she was pregnant. We had her turned out (with a run-in stall) in round pen panels. What we ended up doing was using plastic snow fence with small holes like this:

    http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...83&cagpspn=pla

    We just attached it to the round pen with baling twine. Super cheap, super fast, no issues with the burro baby escaping. It doesn't last long, for some reason it just fractures in the cold. (Weird for snow fence!) But, babies grow so you don't need it for long. Our neighbor uses the old fashioned wood snow fence to keep his babies in his electric fence, but I don't think that's safe, as it has wires holding the wood slats.

    http://www.trafficsafetywarehouse.co...FU-d4AodJSUAxg



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    269

    Default

    What a great idea! I knew posting here would be beneficial Given that I won't need it long and would like for it to be somewhat temporary, this is a much more economical idea (and will be a lot easier to take down... and probably won't damage the panels the way that wire might). Thank you so much!

    That wooden fence looks like a little hoof could easily get caught!
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

    Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    We adopted a burro through the BLM and she was pregnant.
    PS - how awesome! I've always wanted to do this. And you got a little baby too
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

    Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep. 19, 2003
    Location
    Brentwood, NH
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OTTBcooper View Post
    PS - how awesome! I've always wanted to do this. And you got a little baby too
    He's adorable, even now that he is 12 years old. He was born on Thanksgiving day. Not a total surprise, we kind of thought she was pregnant, and she was waxing, etc. But Thanksgiving! We named him Tom.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2009
    Location
    Southern Middle TN
    Posts
    83

    Default

    We have used 4x8 sheets of plywood, ripped in half so that you had a 2x8 sheet. We placed it at the bottom, drilled holes every few feet, and attached it to the bottom of the panel with wire.



  7. #7

    Default

    We used full sheets of plywood on panels to make "temporary" stalls when we first got our barn built. We used u shaped bolts to hold the plywood on by drilling in a few sections so that the bolt went over the pipe. Worked very well.

    Nancy!



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb. 1, 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    4,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ngilland View Post
    We have used 4x8 sheets of plywood, ripped in half so that you had a 2x8 sheet. We placed it at the bottom, drilled holes every few feet, and attached it to the bottom of the panel with wire.
    We did this, only we used heavy duty zip ties to secure the plywood to the rails.

    We didn't cut the sheets in half either, so the plywood went up 4 feet which prevented pawing feet from going through.

    I used this setup for stalls in a temporary building before I had my barn. I used the panels to create 3, 12x12 stalls in a row.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec. 11, 2012
    Location
    Parker, TX
    Posts
    65

    Default

    I went to try a horse once at a breeding farm and they had a round pen for foaling where they had attached rubber conveyor belt material around the bottom. Ensured that little hooves wouldn't get stuck anywhere, kept bedding in, and kept other animals (dogs, coyotes, and such) out!

    They attached it by punching holes in it (either with a hole punch or just using a sharp object) and zip tying it to the panels. It's the best foal fencing I've seen in a while.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    I went to try a horse once at a breeding farm and they had a round pen for foaling where they had attached rubber conveyor belt material around the bottom. Ensured that little hooves wouldn't get stuck anywhere, kept bedding in, and kept other animals (dogs, coyotes, and such) out!

    They attached it by punching holes in it (either with a hole punch or just using a sharp object) and zip tying it to the panels. It's the best foal fencing I've seen in a while.
    Wow - this does sound very effective and safe! Any idea where they found that type of material?
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

    Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    We did this, only we used heavy duty zip ties to secure the plywood to the rails.

    We didn't cut the sheets in half either, so the plywood went up 4 feet which prevented pawing feet from going through.

    I used this setup for stalls in a temporary building before I had my barn. I used the panels to create 3, 12x12 stalls in a row.
    Great idea! I have actually debated turning the 12' panels into stalls once the foal is weaned and we won't need the "turnout" section off the barn anymore.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

    Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep. 29, 2009
    Posts
    2,576

    Default

    I have a Priefert round pen.

    Mine is brown, 90', and a premier. Had it for about 8 years now. Love it. No horse/foal has ever been hurt. This one is made a bit different than other rp's.

    http://www.priefert.com/ProductGroup...ound-pens-390/



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    I have a Priefert round pen.

    Mine is brown, 90', and a premier. Had it for about 8 years now. Love it. No horse/foal has ever been hurt. This one is made a bit different than other rp's.

    http://www.priefert.com/ProductGroup...ound-pens-390/
    Interesting! I haven't completely checked out the website yet, but it looks similar to other round pen panels. Is it just a different material?
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

    Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec. 11, 2012
    Location
    Parker, TX
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OTTBcooper View Post
    Wow - this does sound very effective and safe! Any idea where they found that type of material?
    I've tried looking for some thin rubber rolls online, but haven't had much success. The place I went to had smooth rubber and it was very thin...almost like a rubberized tarp. this is the closest I've found but too expensive in my opinion!

    http://www.floormatcompany.com/compo...-mats-p-7.aspx



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    I've tried looking for some thin rubber rolls online, but haven't had much success. The place I went to had smooth rubber and it was very thin...almost like a rubberized tarp. this is the closest I've found but too expensive in my opinion!

    http://www.floormatcompany.com/compo...-mats-p-7.aspx
    Thank you So appreciate it!
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

    Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep. 29, 2009
    Posts
    2,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OTTBcooper View Post
    Interesting! I haven't completely checked out the website yet, but it looks similar to other round pen panels. Is it just a different material?

    If you look at the tops of the panels, no rearing horse can get it's foot or leg caught in it. They are close together at the top. Also the panels have more than a few rails. The bottom of the panels have the same type - not sure what you want to call it - dog leg?? looking thing. This also means no horse can get its foot caught in between the panel edges. The come together more like a square and not oval like other rp panels which come to a V. These are smooth on the inside and outside so no cuts or scrapes can happen. I also have the gate they make. Nice. You can teach the horse over time to stand there and you can open it from the saddle. The gate also has a little thingy which flips and it locks the gate so no lippy nosed horse can open it. These are not short heighted panels either. You could put plywood in side or out if you wanted, or buy it like that from them. Also the way they chain together, the chain fits into a slot, not a hook which a horse could get something hooked on it, or you could with your boot or something like that. I think it chains top and bottom. I see the thing each day but would have to have another look.

    Like I said I have a 90' rp. I did make it smaller for a horse I was training, I think to 70', I just removed some panels, and doubled them to get a smaller rp. I am really conscious of too small of an area, and the horses legs in that small area. Big horses, well you get a 60' rp, it really puts that big horse very close to you. These are nicely painted, some of the rp you get they rust in one year.

    Good luck!



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2006
    Posts
    3,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    We adopted a burro through the BLM and she was pregnant. We had her turned out (with a run-in stall) in round pen panels. What we ended up doing was using plastic snow fence with small holes like this:

    http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...83&cagpspn=pla

    We just attached it to the round pen with baling twine. Super cheap, super fast, no issues with the burro baby escaping. It doesn't last long, for some reason it just fractures in the cold. (Weird for snow fence!) But, babies grow so you don't need it for long. Our neighbor uses the old fashioned wood snow fence to keep his babies in his electric fence, but I don't think that's safe, as it has wires holding the wood slats.

    http://www.trafficsafetywarehouse.co...FU-d4AodJSUAxg
    This!!! 3 or 4 feet should be adequate.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma



Similar Threads

  1. Where to buy a few round pen panels in MA?
    By Babble in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Oct. 23, 2012, 09:11 PM
  2. Portable round pen panels
    By Forte in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Sep. 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
  3. Round Pen Panels for Paddock?
    By victorian24 in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Dec. 6, 2010, 02:16 PM
  4. 5' or 6' round pen / stall panels?
    By wsmoak in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Feb. 26, 2010, 01:07 PM
  5. Has anyone used round pen panels as stall walls?
    By 2boys in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Mar. 10, 2009, 10:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •