The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Too bad Toyota does not make anything big enough for your needs I just went through the truck search myself but I am only pulling a 2-horse so got a 5.7L V8 Tundra after reading the very mixed reviews on the other makes such as are appearing in this thread.

That said, I have a friend with the F250 diesel and he is constantly putting $$$$ repairs into it. It might be worth looking at Consumer Reports or other independent evaluations to get a sense for reliability and average repair costs on the various model years for each model you are considering.

I think you should look into the Duramax.... After having both a Ford and Dodge-- 96 7.3l Powerstroke, and 2002 Cummins 6 speed -- I am drooling over the Duramax.. It has the engine capabilities, and is backed by the best transmission out there. I wouldn't buy anything else if I was doing what you are.. that's just me though--
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

I'm currently on the search for a truck within the next couple of months. I'm leaning toward either a Ford or a GM/Chevy.

I owned a Dodge Dakota for a very BRIEF period of time. NEVER again. It had low mileage, and the engine blew up on me. The mechanic had never seen anything like it before. The oil was like a sandy-cementy mixture. It was well taken care of. I'd only been driving it for 9 days before it happened. And that was after it sat in my driveway for a few weeks after driving about 400 miles home from picking it up.
    Put in a different engine (not new) and the same thing happened only a few months later. Was told Dodge's have lots of issues with oil sludge.

A little worried with what I'm reading here about Ford's, though!

I have the dreaded 6.0L Ford and it's been a dream. Has almost 150,000 miles on it and hauls like a dream. Has only had a few minor repairs. I hauled a trailed 2,000 miles from SC to CO and it was comfortable and fuel efficient. Didn't even know the trailer was back there!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Every brand has peak reliability years and engines (and other parts) that were great and engines that sucked. Many times it has less to do with what the brand is than how well the truck was maintained and if it was lucky enough to be from a peak year. A truck is so much more than just an engine and a transmission.

People's opinions are thus generally based on their experience with a very small sample size unless they have really dug into the engineering and many many model years. The answer to the OP's question -- you need to do delve into truck forums to find what will fit your needs and talk to the people who REALLY know the trucks.
    This.

I am not a super smart truck person. But I really did my research when I was getting ready to buy and am very happy with my truck.

I stalked the truck forums and learned exactly what transmissions were issues in what years, what engine sizes had issues, in what years, etc.

The issues are very detailed and it is important to ask people who like or don't like their truck exactly what they have.

I bought a 2005 Dodge dually 4wd. I LOVE it. There are no frills save power windows. It hauls, and hauls, and hauls.

FWIW, I recently had two sale horses delivered from FL and Athena of Horse Jitney delivered them to me. She hauls with a newer 6.7 Dodge dually, I asked her how she likes it, and she said she loved it, it was her second, after putting close to 400K miles on the first one, no problems with either. I trust a horse hauler who lives in her truck.

I'd probably buy another Dodge, esp now that the new engine has had time to sort itself out.

I might consider a Chevy, but I just don't trust Ford with all the issues they had.

Just took a 2012 Dodge diesel 3500 hauling an 8 horse trailer from Ontario, Canada to California and back and Ontario to Oklahoma and back . Not one issue and hauls like a dream.

Long time Ford lover but ours was 1996 7.3L diesel we finally traded in late 2011
    with 285K miles. DH had used for 8 years to commute to work over my objections. A hauling machine! We couldn't find a low mileage 7.3L in a price range we could get financing on at a decent rate. There was one 6.0 of the half dozen we test drove that felt like a winner (sent the tingle up the leg when behind the wheel) but dealer was very proud of it price wise.

We ended up with a Dodge 2500 5.9L engine (2007 model) with 142K miles (one owner) that we love plus it's a mega cab to boot. Had not been used for hauling.
    Other than some front end problems that we knew were a possibility when we drove it and the warrenty covered, it's been running like a charm. Gas mileage is much better than the Dodge 2006 1500 quad cab we traded in for it. And the mega cab is worth every penny.

Not as charmed by Ford quality as I used to be. We had a 1997
    Expedition we traded in late 2011 with 266K miles that was like an Engerizer bunny...it just keep going and going. Original engine and transmission. Got a 2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer. Have spent a fortune on the brakes, ABS. The drivers door handle just recently broke off (inside handle--it's plastic), the power
    thingie was pulled out of it's mount. Don't get the feeling we're going to have the
    same track record as with the first Expedition. It does better mileage than the old one, especially when I fill up over the border in OK with non-ethanol gas.

Oh Dodge for sure! Although.....BOTH newer Fords and Dodges have the new high pressure rail fuel system which is problematic because it puts four times as much wear on the engine (fires four times for every stroke) - obviously some people think its terrific (I have a dodge 2500 and I have had two bad injector lines, NOT a good thing) so I don't . This is on ALL diesels ar the moment. Also they went to the urea evap system (emissions control) - 2009? 2010? Lots of people hate this. This does have the potential to shut your rig down (look it up on truck chat rooms)

That Ford will for sure have great torque, because its got 8 cylinders where the Dodge (I think) has 6. You will feel it FOR SURE, FOR SURE at the pump. The Ford dealership also gives you an additive they like you to use to keep the engine lubed. $$$$$$$$$

The Dodge may only have six cylinders but it can pull just fine, and the reliability of the cummins is really unsurpassed. And you will be happier with the fuel consumption.

So.....best thing to do is take your DD's truck down to your favorite diesel shop and spent that $$ on an engine rebuild/overhaul (if you even need it). Have them check out the turbo. You will be happier than if you get a new rig (particuarly a Ford). My husband is a fleet mechanic for gov't rigs and they HATE Fords (particuarly the V10s and the 6's, if they still make them).Not fun to work on!

you might enjoy checking out truck forums - usually really funny and those folks really know trucks and engines!! Good luck!

That would be the mechanics dislike the Ford 6.0s, just to be clear. But again, thse truck forums are fun!

Quote Originally Posted by CupcakeTough View Post
    I never thought I would have an opinion on truck makers... but I do now! I currently own a 2012 Ram 3500 and they are going to have to bury me in that thing. .

I think they will have to pry my fingers from my Dodge Ram 2500 - love that thing (eventhough it has had a few problems). Just love it though!!

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    Ford--the diesel engines last forever (or thereabouts )
    Wish I could agree with you. My 2003 F-250 7.3 self trashed and ruined the engine at 106K. Ford said "too bad, so sad" but happy to sell you a new one. Now driving a 2010 F-250 diesel and keeping fingers crossed that it runs more than 150K. Of course, it only gets 12-13 mpg. I have 47K already on it.

We have friends who pull with every make and model of truck, ( and some cars), known to mankind and they have all had their issues. We have had Chevy, Ford, Dodge, International, and Freightliner with a Cummins.

Ford made me mad enough about our 2000 F350 that I seriously doubt that I will ever own another Ford and I was raised in a Ford.

When our International was broken down in Kemmerer Wyoming on our way to Rolex, the country mechanic there said to always buy a Cummins because someone nearby will have parts. International would have had to send a .75 part from Chicago, by overnight express to Salt Lake City and on to Kemmerer by taxi to get us on the road, so Country Mechanic made us one out of a 2" piece of rubber, some wire, and DUCT Tape!

So we now have a....

2012 Dodge 3500, crew cab, 4x4, cab n chassis. The cab n chassis trucks have a heavier tranny than the 3500 with the PU bed, who knew they made different trucks in the same size/class ?

Now the 2003 Dodge 3500 will be at home hitched to the BP, in case a horse needs an emergency trip to the hospital, while the Freightliner and the Dodge flat bed go off to horse trials.

That's what happens when you add another rider to the family!!! Now we need another 4 horse trailer, and probably more saddles and mostly more $$$$ !!!!

Thanks everyone for all the info. The truck forums are fun!

1 members found this post helpful.

Ford...having owned 6 of their 7.3L Navistar diesels, I speak from experience. Would never touch another GM, which was my first pickup. Though the 7.3L Ford diesels are getting increasingly hard to find due to the government telling automakers what they can make; stupid, because the older ones got better fuel mileage...and, I recommend the 5 speed over the automatic any day of the week. Have switched trucks here and there depending upon needs at the time, but the manual trans trucks are by far the best. Currently own an F550 for towing a LQ and sure do wish I was able to find one in manual in the same shape with similar mileage!

4 of the 6 trucks were all four door cabs; will never buy another X-cab, but would buy another E350 diesel van, that was a good truck. Prefer single rear wheel to dualies unless you need that extra support, like under a LQ trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by paint hunter View Post
    Wish I could agree with you. My 2003 F-250 7.3 self trashed and ruined the engine at 106K. Ford said "too bad, so sad" but happy to sell you a new one. Now driving a 2010 F-250 diesel and keeping fingers crossed that it runs more than 150K. Of course, it only gets 12-13 mpg. I have 47K already on it.
    I'd have bought the new 7.3. What you had there sounds like a rare problem. My first 7.3 ran for 325,000 on the original clutch and only then did it need an injector job. That was with being a commercial hauler in the mountains for the first 224,000 miles of its life.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    That would be the mechanics dislike the Ford 6.0s, just to be clear. But again, thse truck forums are fun!
    That's because the 6.0s had a lot of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    At least the 7.3L engines did...

FORD...BRING BACK THE OLD 7.3!!!
    They would if not for government interference. Believe me, they want it back too! Everyone I have talked to who works on Fords or at dealerships has said so. I personally see no difference if the engine gives off more emissions but uses less fuel, versus one that gives off less emissions but uses more fuel. But there I go again, trying to make sense...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I agree that this is like asking about which religion is better, LOL.

I am a die hard Ford fan, but that is based on my kick-@ss 99 F250 PSD. Yes, the famed 7.3L towing machine. It is a rock solid truck that has done really well with only basic standard maintenance. Lots and lots of people had big issues with the first round of 6.0 diesels that replaced the 7.3, but from what I see/hear, the newer models are way better. If I were buying new, that's the direction I would go.
    My first 7.3L Ford had a Banks Sidewinder turbo...back then, the Powerstroke wasn't on the market yet, so this bad boy was installed in California. I do so regret selling that truck for a newer one...never had the fuel mileage, the pulling power or the speed under load since! WHY, WHY?!

I think you will be really, really happy!!
    Lots of adventures!

Fords don't get worse mileage because of the urea system; its because they have higher HP - are 8 cylinders and the Dodge is 6! And probably that direct injection system=more HP=more fuel! (can't remember if Powerstrokes still use direct injection)

GMC duramax deisel, EVERYONE that has one seems to love it,, I have met people at shows who have over 250,000 miles, all hauling, on theirs but wont give them up. I had all fords before, I will never go back.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    Chevy. Owned one Dodge, will never own another. Had a Ford Ranger, didn't use it to tow, it was okay, but I have had a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup (loved it!) and three Suburbans (two were 1/2 tons, current is a 3/4 ton.) Love the Chevys. Or GM.
    Ford.Dodge.Ford.Dodge. Ummmm, neither.

Chevy. I only do Chevy. Chevy has the biggest pulling on the market right now. And how could you not like the allison tranny in a chevy/gm??? OMG how lovely it pulls with it. And of course, drive around town with it too.

I would go Toyota before ford or dodge. I would never go dodge, I would do an SUV, or mini van before a dodge (giggle). Really.Yeah.Really.