The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scrtwh View Post
    Plan to give the F150 to DD next year and replace with a Raptor.
    Hopefully you're not planning to tow with the Raptor becuase they really are not set up or intended for that purpose. They're like an on-road "off road" wannabe.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    Ford--the diesel engines last forever (or thereabouts )
    At least the 7.3L engines did...

FORD...BRING BACK THE OLD 7.3!!!

9 members found this post helpful.

I have the hots for the new Ram 2500.
    You are what you dare.

Have a 2004 Ram 2500 w/ 120,000 miles on it. Runs like a dream. Only downside is gas mileage....12-14 mpg. Had a 1989 Ford F150 (7.3 litre) that gave me 148,000 good miles before we sold it.

From my experiences with The Big Three:

Chevy.

I've had three Ford trucks of various sizes. Didn't have many issues with my 97 F150 other than a couple recalls (first year of new body style, not unexpected) and some electrical issues. Had a 95 F350 with the E4OD tranny, and when I traded it in at 223k miles, was on its third transmission. Also, it was a genuine V7 engine, in that the number 1 injector had pooped the bed about 30k miles before I traded it in. Even with that, it was a powerful engine, just ran rough . And a 01 Ford Ranger, liked it.

I've had one Dodge 1500, the spark plugs were a constant problem, but it was okay being a half ton.

Current truck is a 01 Chevy 2500HD, only 89k miles and haven't done much to it. Replaced the windshield washer reservoir in 2009, replaced the battery last year and replaced the windshield. Regular oil changes. No muss no fuss (now watch it break down on me ).

DH's 07 F350 (has 91k miles) dually is an excellent hauler, and no real issues, but every-single-issue has been a minimum of $400. Alternators? Yep, twice now. Batteries? Yep. Ignition module? Yep, while in California to boot. Oil leak that was covered under warranty (thank god) would have cost us about $4k. Same spot is leaking oil again, and warranty just expired. DH is going to try to do it himself... Oh, I guess there was the cab heater that busted, the repair guy thought it was the module ($600) but managed to find a sticky relay for under $100.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

1 members found this post helpful.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

GM for me. I've been driving my Duramax/Allison for 12 years now. I'll probably get another one in another 8 to 10 years the way it's looking.

Old Ford's aside, the newer Fords had a horrible reputation. My son's amongst them: Blew up right after the warranty ran out and - like poster above - was told to tamp sand.

Latest models of Ford have not been out long enough to prove themselves - so never again a Ford.

The Dodge's were our next choice - BUT the back-up camera does not work and dealer cannot get it fixed. Been in 5 times - had the whole computer module pulled apart and had to get experts in because to do that the whole ceiling had to come down. Still did not work, so it is being re-done with technicians phoning Toronto from BC for step by step instructions for entire module.
    Luckily under warranty - but still, these new "buy me, buy me" options should be de-bugged before sale. (2010 model)

The heated steering wheel just better not go on it next!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Chevy

I've had all three, and currently own a 2006 F350 Super Duty with the crappy 6.0 diesel. Its my tow vehicle and daily driver, and currently has 115K on it. The stupid ERG/oil cooler thingy has blown up once ( to the tune of $4500), well to be fair I bought it used, and I've put 60K on it and kept up with the routine maintence and it seems like it will live. I will NEVER EVER buy another one. But, it tows like a dream

My Dodge was OK, but not great. It was a 3/4 ton, V10 with a standard tranny, had to replace the clutch, power steering pump and routine maintance. It wasn't a great truck, but it was ok.

My Dad has a 2002 GM 3/4 ton duramx with the alison tranny. Great truck. My old (1983 1 ton silverado) had a turbo 300 tranny and it was great too.

I would have bought a chevy or GM, but they are rare and expensive on the used market. That should tell you something.

I have a 2007 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel 4x4. Love that truck. No problems at all.

I never thought I would have an opinion on truck makers... but I do now! I currently own a 2012 Ram 3500 and they are going to have to bury me in that thing. I love it SO much. Drives amazing, amazing mileage, amazing safety features, hauls amazing. Have I mentioned it's amazing? I mean, really, I could write an ode to this thing if you want me to. It will be longer than Homer's Odyssey.

I will NEVER EVER NEVER buy a Ford again. I went through 2 in five years and have never spent so much time stranded on the side of the road with a loaded trailer, calling friends or husband for help, hiking in the dark in a lightening storm because there's no cell service and I'm broken down. Again. Oh, the number of clinics and shows I missed because the trucks inexplicably died. And I think I may have single-handed paid the salaries of my local garage.

I know every company is going to have a few duds... but for one person to get two of them in five years? Too much of a trend.

Either one as long as (1) diesel, and (2) 6 speed tranny or an Allison

You realize this is like asking Catholic or Protestant, right?

6 members found this post helpful.

Ford really shot themselves in the foot with their 6.0's and will have to put out a really, really good, time-tested truck to get my business back, if ever.
    My Ford 7.3 lasted us 23 years, now sold to an approved home, so we w.e.r.e Ford fans.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

We're collecting 7.3's as we find them on craigslist! I wouldn't take the 6.0 on a bet but those 7.3's are a classic...

Quote Originally Posted by CupcakeTough View Post
    I never thought I would have an opinion on truck makers... but I do now! I currently own a 2012 Ram 3500 and they are going to have to bury me in that thing. I love it SO much. Drives amazing, amazing mileage, amazing safety features, hauls amazing. Have I mentioned it's amazing? I mean, really, I could write an ode to this thing if you want me to. It will be longer than Homer's Odyssey.
    Check back after you'd had it a few years, and let us know if you still love it ;-)

2 members found this post helpful.

I am right there with all the ford 7.3 fans, also have the hots for the V10 gas engine. Have a V10 for my daily driver.

Wow, it's clear as mud which to buy after reading this thread!

I've personally had too many friends with Ford lemons in recent years to trust them. They used to be the standard truck for hauling, but I'm seeing a lot more diversity in makes at horse events.

We had a hard knockin' 1997 Dodge dually 3500 that had been sorely abused before we got it. It had its quirks, but it never let me down, pulled like a hoss and is still going strong as my brother's daily driver.

I wish Toyota would make a really big truck. I love my Tundra for hauling 2-horse gooseneck with dressing room, but that's about all the juice it's got.
    Last edited by Debbie; Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: wrong word
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I agree that this is like asking about which religion is better, LOL.

I am a die hard Ford fan, but that is based on my kick-@ss 99 F250 PSD. Yes, the famed 7.3L towing machine. It is a rock solid truck that has done really well with only basic standard maintenance. Lots and lots of people had big issues with the first round of 6.0 diesels that replaced the 7.3, but from what I see/hear, the newer models are way better. If I were buying new, that's the direction I would go.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    FORD...BRING BACK THE OLD 7.3!!!
    Sadly, they can't -- it will not meet new emission standards which is why it went away (that and their falling out with International, who built the engine). Which is why I will be buried in mine.

Every brand has peak reliability years and engines (and other parts) that were great and engines that sucked. Many times it has less to do with what the brand is than how well the truck was maintained and if it was lucky enough to be from a peak year. A truck is so much more than just an engine and a transmission.

People's opinions are thus generally based on their experience with a very small sample size unless they have really dug into the engineering and many many model years. The answer to the OP's question -- you need to do delve into truck forums to find what will fit your needs and talk to the people who REALLY know the trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    We're collecting 7.3's as we find them on craigslist! I wouldn't take the 6.0 on a bet but those 7.3's are a classic...
    I cried when my mother told me she sold my stepdad's 7.3 Ford after he passed away.

That being said unless it's the 7.3 I'm a Dodge girl all the way.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook