The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff: Names that completely fit your horse.

I have horses on opposite ends of the spectrum.

My first horse was named Ruff 'N' Rocky. It was the total opposite of his personality. He's a complete love bug. We changed it to Irish Blessing.

Second horse's name is Kourt Jester and it fits him so completely, down to the screwed up spelling! He's such a goofball. He can't wait to roll in the snow, literally. As soon as one hoof steps outside, he's on the ground rolling in it. He also has quite the personality. He loves to climb under our tent with us and eat the humans' fruit. His favorite is watermelon (seedless, of course )

So who has a name that fits their horse perfectly?
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

I do, I do! My horse's name is Dennis The Menace Too. It fits him absolutely perfectly. He is a sweetie, but man he can get himself into trouble. He is so a Dennis.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I also do.. My mare's name is Patootie - and yes, she named herself! Much of the time that is what she acts like and the rest of the time she is a cutie Patootie!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a pony named Nuisance - it fits perfectly . The funniest part is people don't believe me until they work with her for a bit, then it's complete agreement .

BTW, she is a POA pony mare.

Christa

My mare is a palomino, and her show name is One Smart Blonde...which she definitely is!

Temper Time.

So sweet most of the time, but boy, when she blew...
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Some 40 years ago, our farrier was given a yearling that had such orthopedic problems he was almost crippled.
    The breeder was going to euthanize him and the farrier thought he give him a shot.
    He was a registered horse and had his papers with him.
    He got him sound, but his joints did look very knobby.
    He was a very light sorrel, practically a dun, with four white socks, a blaze and the biggest, kindest black eyes you ever saw.

Once he was sound as a long two year old, he gave him to us and we started him and used him lightly doing ranch work, mostly just checking cattle, waterholes and fences.
    He was rough trotting, but had a smooth, short and slow canter.

He ended up kid safe and extremely gentle, but didn't really fit as a working ranch horse or pony horse, he was not very athletic and was kind of a slow poke, so the farrier found a nice family with kids that had him for many years as a backyard horse, that was the best for him.

Anyway, his name was Trouble and you never saw a better fitting name, as he was always into something.
    He was a pest in the pasture to other horses, that kept getting after him for pestering them and he didn't seem to care, it was all fun to him.
    He would open any gate or bag or box, carefully and investigate it without tearing anything up.
    He learned tricks very fast and then invented more on his own and you could see him grin happily about it.

He was not a pest, just a very busy minded, smart, calm and happy companion to any human or horse or any other that would do things with him.
    Because the world doesn't really have a place for such horses, he was considered "Trouble" by many, until he found his rightful place in this world, with a family full of small kids to care for.

4 members found this post helpful.

A friend had a leopard Appaloosa named Spot. Loved that horse!

DD's first horse was Kingdom - don't know what made his original owners give His Royal Highness that name but it is perfect - it is truly His world and He allows us to share it with him!

My gelding's name is Sparky, but was accidentally called "Spanky" at a horse show once. Totally appropriate.

His real show name is Sucha Special Spark, but I have also definitely showed him as Napolean Dynamite. Also totally appropriate.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I bred my race horse broodmare to a warmblood to create a replacement for my irreplaceable show horse "On Your Mark" aka Mark. The filly was born dead but after 8 minutes of CPR she sprung to life and was named Remarkable. Which she is in every way! Plus I love having Mark in her name since she will hopefully fill his enormous (figuratively) shoes some day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Devon3.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	37514  

My Morgan came from a herd of 41 that we rescued. My mother initially named them all, and she comes from a very strong western background. That showed up when she named the two buckskin studs: Danny Boy and Sunny Day.

"Sunny" ended up being terrified of humans, with a strong flight AND fight instinct. If cornered, he would turn and take you on, and go over you to get away. Originally we were told he was 4-5; we found out later he wasn't even 2 years old, though he was 15 hands and built like a 4 year old stud. When it became obvious he was too dangerous and had too many trust issues to place in a home and would be coming to me, I renamed him. "Sunny Day" did NOT fit his personality. I named him Aries. Originally was going to be "Ares" for the "God of War" however I know very well that's going to get butchered locally in the show ring, so I spelled it Aries. I am an Aries, and figure his independence and strong willed nature suits the name as well.

Two years later he's less of a God of War and more the astrological Aries, but it still fits. He's first to go anywhere, brave, confident, a "trail blazer" so to speak. His registered name, if I can ever get his DNA finished and find his dam, will be GSH Golden Fleece, which was made from the Golden Ram that is the symbol of Aries. That'll tie in his color, his barn name, AND the "gambling" aspect of his sire's name - Wildcards Gentleman Jack.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

Glue He goes by either SuperGlue or CrazyGlue, depending on his mood. Both can be super fitting - he's either a really compliant but personable sidekick or a headcase (fyi he's 21). I love him to tiny, tiny bits and am almost partial to CrazyGlue.. the entertainment is endless.

Over where it's HI in the middle and round on both ends.

I raised a palomino QH that I named:
    "Blonde Jamesblonde"

Bull was a total bull. Gorgeous dark chestnut (red bull!). His name is Know Bull and at first I entertained the thought that it could be an interpretation of 'noble'... but Nope lol! He was bull headed, obstinate and kind of grumpy... but once he got used to his rider he would sweeten up so much, and the snarky faces were just for show. He loved to jump (red bull gives you wings!) And ride out of the arena on trails. Sweet mug of a horse.
    There was an appy where I learned to ride named Joker who always had to have an extra clip on his stall door as well as a different stall guard (for nice days/circulation) because he would shimmy under just a regular chain across the door, and he was not small!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

The name my horse came to me with was "Kyron's Keepsake" and he really is a keepsake.

Anyway, I named him Kieran which apparently means something to the effect of "little dark one" in Gaelic and he's, you know, a 16.3 chunk draft cross that's mostly white!

However, his show name is "He's a Keeper" because he completely, entirely, is!
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I named my horse "Hampton" before he ever even arrived from across country. The guy I bought him from called him "Shorty" (which he isn't) or "Big Bird" (which, OK, yeah, he's big and yellow so maybe that kind of fits... )

Anyway, Hampton has pretty much been shortened to Ham. My dad was a farmer and raised pigs when I was growing up, so it's kind of to pay homage to my roots back in Iowa. Oddly enough, it turns out that the name Ham totally suits him. He's definitely a real character and will even ham it up for the camera when my boyfriend is around taking pictures of him! I have a lot of fun with his name, too, and am always joking about doing things like clipping a design of strips of bacon or a flying pig on his butt. I even had a pig embroidered on a white saddle pad that I plan on using at clinics and shows (we're getting into eventing): https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...36447482_n.jpg
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

I have a Big Bird (named for the hockey player not the Sesame Street character and the fact that I am a birdwatcher). Doesn't really fit him because he's not particularly big or yellow, and he has no trouble understanding things (he usually understands them all too well). But he is extremely extroverted and loves small, boisterous boys, so I guess it does fit in that sense and he does fly over the jumps. It usually gets shortened to Bird, which fits his quirky personality better.

But Wait There's More (hell yes, there was more.) AKA Fattykins. Both very fitting.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Hannah's show name is Titania, as in the fairy queen in A Midsummer Night's Dream. Couldn't fit her more perfectly. She loves causing trouble and bossing around her "subjects". Plus she is such a queen about everything. Best pain in the butt horse I ever met
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping