The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Opinions on this training technique

So I would love y'alls opinions on a trainer who put a sensitve thoroughbred mare in a knife-edge bit and in a bitting rig, and kept her in the cross-ties for two hours. She claimed this was to "teach the mare a lesson." I am not sure what lesson this would actually teach a horse, but would love everyone's input. Thanks much!

Gee, when you write it out in such unbiased, non-emotionally charged language-- how can we possible come out on one side or another?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

10 members found this post helpful.

I am just stating the facts. Not sure how else I can state it, Veronica. Boy you are a bit defensive, eh?

Not defensive, just don't get the point of this post. Do you really need to ask if that "training" is acceptable? Really?

It's like a post stating "Beating your wife to teach her a lesson. I'd love y'alls opinions."
    ~Veronica

9 members found this post helpful.

It's a great technique. I use it all the time. The more sensitive the horse, and the sharper the bit -- the better.

(Please note the 110% sarcasm here.)

Of course it's not a good "training technique" and teaches no "lessons." What sort of answers were you looking for exactly, darling?

7 members found this post helpful.

How about some background. What did the mare do? How do you know she is sensitive? Did you ask the trainer directly why she did that or just overhear "this will teach her a lesson"? How was the mare in the crossties: was she freaking out and struggling? Was she straining against the bitting rig and thus bit? Did she just stand there? Were you there for the whole two hours?

I am a firm believer that a bit is only as harsh as the hands that hold it. If the mare was quiet and stood bitted up in the cross ties for two hours, I don't really see what it would accomplish. I also wouldn't see it as being all that mean.

If the mare struggled and freaked out for two hours, well, I'd imagine she was in a bit of pain by the end. Again, I don't see what it would teach the horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like the trainer holds a bit of a "grudge" against this horse. Probably was trying to make the horse submissive to contact and wasn't getting anywhere in the saddle, so this was her way of "teaching it a lesson". I've seen trainers put horse in a stall with side reins for maybe 30 mins or less, but doing that with a KNIFE EDGE for TWO HOURS is cruel punishment. If that was my horse, or my trainer doing that to any horse, I'd be finding somewhere else to ride without question.

2 members found this post helpful.

What type of bit was it again? I know of a horse that decided to have tantrums, so owner sent it to a reining barn for some lessons - basically that mare was in "work" all day, sometimes round pen work sometimes they'd leave her tacked up & tied in her stall/ maybe they used a bitting rig, maybe not... but prior to her going off to cowboy camp she spent alot of time on 2 legs, didn't matter if it was the front 2 or the back 2 but a pair was usually someplace in the air; after 2 months at camp.. that mare never took 2 feet off the ground except when asked to... owner said it was the best money she'd ever spent.

Who makes a knife-edged bit?

Also called a triangle bit, I think. They aren't THAT sharp, though the one I inherited has only been pulled off the wall for exactly ONE horse. They are kind of a step between a slow twist and a corkscrew, really (also things I rarely use).

This does seem like a silly post, though. Do you really think people are going to say it seems like a good idea, especially with zero info beyond what is stated?

Why are you letting this trainer do this to your horse? My horse would have been pulled out from beneath the trainer.

I think it's totally awesome and do it all the time.

You have to get the horse to flip over backwards and break the crossties for it to really work though.

You should probably take the trainer out for drinks just so she knows how awesome she is.

Sigh.

I know of a well respected A show facility where the trainers often put side reins on their ponies in their stalls for severals hours a day. One night they forgot to take off the side reins on one pony and found her the next morning with their tongue half cut off and blood everywhere. Luckily the tongue was stitched back on and the pony went on to have a successful show career. You bet your butt that she never accepted the bit after that though, she was happy going around with her nose poked out all day long. Seems like a GREAT training method to me
    Twin Pond Farm

Visit us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Twin-...884209?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarnSlave24/7 View Post
    I know of a well respected A show facility where the trainers often put side reins on their ponies in their stalls for severals hours a day. One night they forgot to take off the side reins on one pony and found her the next morning with their tongue half cut off and blood everywhere. Luckily the tongue was stitched back on and the pony went on to have a successful show career. You bet your butt that she never accepted the bit after that though, she was happy going around with her nose poked out all day long. Seems like a GREAT training method to me
    Hm. Makes me wonder if the scar across my POA's tongue was caused by this sort of training method. He takes the bit with no problems, though, so maybe it was just his ability to "find the sharp object in the padded room".
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarnSlave24/7 View Post
    Could have been an accident too. I saw a horse cut several inches of its tounge off on a stall latch. It was a 1/2 stall door and the horse liked to reach over and fuss with the latch. He had done it many times before with no issue and no one really identified it as being unsafe-- and then one day he was doing it and cut off part of his tounge. Talk about BLOOD EVERYWHERE. The vet reattached it and he went on to be fine.
    ~Veronica

Do you really need to ask? If this is exactly what happened, with no details glorified, NO decent horse person would allow their horse to be in training with this trainer. The point is that you know how you feel and you feel strongly enough that if anyone has a different opinion, are they going to change yours? I'm sorry but what exactly is the point of this thread??

Quote Originally Posted by aascvt View Post
    Do you really need to ask? If this is exactly what happened, with no details glorified, NO decent horse person would allow their horse to be in training with this trainer. The point is that you know how you feel and you feel strongly enough that if anyone has a different opinion, are they going to change yours? I'm sorry but what exactly is the point of this thread??
    I am guessing she is trying to "out" the trainer?? That being said, it is a "training method", albeit not a good one. I have seen and heard of it used in some disciplines.
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org