The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Advertised price vs what they are actually getting

I'm just wondering if people are getting the prices they are asking for their event "prospects." I see all kinds of prices out there from 5k to 25k for horses that haven't been to a schooling show much less an event. Of course I know there are huge differences in types, conformation and movement but to me the proof is in the pudding.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of what prices people are actually getting?

Price I advertise

Barn owner currently has WB/TB cross mare. She had her priced at what I thought was a fair price and didn't really get any interest in her at all, but then decided she kind of wanted to keep her so upped her price like $7k (the I don't really want to sell but will if someone will give me this much idea lol). Next thing ya know she has three or four people wanting to see her...
    No clue about current prices but as with everything it depends on if you're willing to wait for the price you want or willing to negotiate to sell faster if someone doesn't give you a full price offer. Also whether said horse is priced correctly.... those that know the market and price horse correctly are probably more likely to say they are getting their advertised price.

As others have said, it depends. I have declined a number of offers for less than the sales price, which I considered fair for the horse. For other horses I have accepted offers of slightly less. Low ballers get laughed at.

It really depends on what you have, what it can do, and how many others like it are out there. It's basic economics; supply and demand.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Of my last 4, 2 were super-cheap and I paid asking price. 2 were quite a bit over-priced, and I offered 25-30% less than asking price, and my offer was accepted. So really I think you need to have a good idea of the value of the horse. I did have one offer refused. OTTB priced at $6500 with a bit of retraining, but mostly "fixing what was wrong" rather than moving forward. Very fancy Forestry gelding, $450K yearling. Didn't like jumping in a ring. I offered $4500, was turned down, didn't counter-offer. I'm glad I didn't get him. For only a little more I bought a horse that was competing successfully at novice. Not as fancy though.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Kcmel that gelding ummm was he chestnut with a ton of chrome....please PM me

I've gotten more than 10K for event bred baby horse that hasn't even worn tack...And I know first hand of a few prospects who had not gone eventing selling for more than 25K....nice horses are nice horses and they are selling for decent prices and always have.

Some of the most expensive horses for me that I bought (higher end of OP's range)--one had only been xc schooling once (was 4) and one hadn't even been backed yet (was 2)....both turned out to be fabulous event horses and I never regretted buying them. If I was buying those two horses today (same age, experience, as fancy etc) they would be priced about the same as what I paid or slightly more.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jan. 15, 2013 at 08:46 AM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Out of the last 4 I sold in that price range, granted it was 5-10 k, I got asking price on everyone.

Sheila
    Chestnut Run Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

I have had offers accepted on 3 horses this year - one was at asking price, one was about 20% below asking price, the other was about 40% below asking price. Haven't had one pass vet yet, but have been all over the place on asking vs. accepted price.

Quote Originally Posted by hb View Post
    I have had offers accepted on 3 horses this year - one was at asking price, one was about 20% below asking price, the other was about 40% below asking price. Haven't had one pass vet yet, but have been all over the place on asking vs. accepted price.
    HB, I feel your pain. I got lucky with vetting on horse #4. So hopefully you will do the same! Good luck!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/