The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

Default I am hopping aboard the soy-free train... no more gooey eyes..

Just wanted to share my little story incase anyone else is thinking of going soy-free with their horses. My husband's warmblood/draft mare has had terrible gooey eyes for quite some time now. I was about to call the vet to come have them looked at when I decided to try to take her off soy and see if anything happened. She had only be getting a small amount of soy hull in her ration balancer, only a cup a day.

She's been soy-free for just over a week now and voila! her eyes are completely goo-free!!! Can't believe such a small amount of soy could cause this but super glad I have figured it out. My gelding has been off soy for a a while now because of colotis issues, and I was letting the mare finish off the ration balancer, but it will all go in the garbage now!! They both get a mash of soaked alfalfa pellets, rice bran, oil and yea sacc now and LOVE their meals

I had the same epiphany with flax, one of my geldings gets gloppy eyes. So much so I did have the vet out to make sure his tear ducts weren't clogged.

The good folks at HorseTech even made up a sample batch of my favorite vit/min suppy using chia seed instead for me, but it has the same effect as flax on him.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

What are you using to supplement vit/min? If you don't mind me asking...

EquiPride, I've been extremely happy with it and get to join the dapples in winter club
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

2 members found this post helpful.

For those that avoid soy - what do you feed? Are there any commercial feeds that are soy-free or (my guess) do you mix it individually? Curious ...

Last summer I experimented with taking my 16-year-old gelding off of his soy ration balancer. There were no problems at all -- this was just an experiment to see if I could save some money. I replaced the RB with alfalfa pellets and a vitamin/mineral supplement.

After about three weeks, he became The Penis Man. Whereas it has never been his nature to go about with an erection, he began showing off his gear everywhere he went.

A couple of times he got a little too excited about me scratching his itchy head after a lesson and whispered sweet nothings in my ear, much to the amusement of my friends.

That was it -- I had had enough. I put him back on the soy feed and within a few weeks the horny behavior subsided and he has remained celibate ever since.

3 members found this post helpful.

For those that avoid soy - what do you feed? Are there any commercial feeds that are soy-free or (my guess) do you mix it individually? Curious ...
    dreaminOTTB, I don't have my horses on soy-free diets, but I've looked into it a few times. As far as I know there isn't any sort of widely available soy free feed. From what I read, people tend to use alfalfa pellets, oats, rice bran, etc.

After about three weeks, he became The Penis Man. Whereas it has never been his nature to go about with an erection, he began showing off his gear everywhere he went.

A couple of times he got a little too excited about me scratching his itchy head after a lesson and whispered sweet nothings in my ear, much to the amusement of my friends.

For me, EquiPride is the soy-free choice. Mix it with plain, soaked beet pulp etc. They get all the good stuff, no sugar, very low starch & no soy
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I'm glad to hear you've had good results! I'm hopping on the soy-free train as of this weekend when I'll be at the end of my Gro N Win and starting to transition to Equipride.

LOL. My guy has just about always been on soy and just about always been a "Ladies Man" of sorts. Here's to hoping it doesn't get WORSE without soy!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I've never seen any of my horses turn into sex fiends on alfalfa pellets but who knows. Maybe he just felt better without the soy and got more "playful?" ;-)

I'm a person with a food intolerance also and it does not take much wheat/gluten (like trace amounts) to put me in a tailspin and make me wish I had not eaten whatever it was. I'll be miserable for at least 3 days after that. I can see no reason why even trace amounts of something a horse is sensitive to would not cause an obvious reaction..eyes, etc....

Equipride is good stuff. I just could not afford it with the numbers I have. My horses do fantastic on alfalfa pellets, (beet pulp, oats and rice bran if needed). I use a soy free mineral supplement and good quality NY hay and I'm in the dapple in winter club also.

It's always good to make connections and figure stuff out. Glad you got it figured out bucksnort!

1 members found this post helpful.

I am another one off the soy bandwagon with my horse. Long ago.

No there is no feed I know of which is soy free and also all grain by products - which btw can contain soy. My mare can tell if anything has soy in it. Yes, just like DDB says, trace amounts I can tell with her. BTW I do believe Mrs.Pastures Cookies has soy. Doesn't say on label but my mare tells me otherwise.

I feed tim pellets or bp and equipride, or the equipride by itself. Yes, dapples in winter here too when she is not rolling in the dirt/mud. Equipride has no molasses, or soy. Salty tasting.

Wow colitis when on soy. Interesting.

So much cheaper to not be feeding bagged food. Easier too.

Colitis does not surprise me a bit. Soy is a legume and legumes are by nature hard to digest and inflammatory. Ever wonder why beans give people flatulence? That's why. Soy is a bean and has a high dose of phytates, anti nutrients and estrogens..yum yum.... Grains are also inflammatory and often mixed with soy in horse diets. I think it can really set up some horses for problems.

Since I took my horses off soy in 2008, I've NOT had even one colic...nothing. I am talking a lot of horses too...up to mid 20's at one point....now not so many thankfully are on my feed bill but still feeding about 18 including some boarders on my diet.

^Alfalfa is also a legume and contains phytoestrogens. Although in lesser amounts than in soy.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

1 members found this post helpful.

Much lesser amounts red mare. Also the horses are eating the leaves and not the seed pod...big difference.

I did research this years ago when I first found out about my horses' issues with soy that alfalfa is much less of an issue for estrogens and antinutrients than soy. Soy is literally toxic in the field and requires quite a bit of "processing" with nasty chemicals like hexane to make it edible while alfalfa is fine eaten right off the plant. The Asians only ate soy after being fermented to remove the toxins but the processing that typically is done here in the US leaves some behind. A good book is called "The Whole Soy Story" which explains the history of the plant and how it came to be so widely used in American diets as well as health issues associated with it.

I remember one thread some time ago where someone speculated that the issue with soy was not the plant itself but perhaps toxic residues from the processing. Hexane is highly toxic.

For those that use Equipride, what is the difference between the equipride & equilix? Can you use them interchangeably?

Same product. One (equipride) is a loose supplement you measure and feed.

The other one (equilix) is a block you feed free choice.

I do not free choice feed anything. I feed only the stuff you measure out.