The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle fitter/ custom saddler with best customer service and follow through?

I have heard so many stories of saddle sellers who turn their backs on customers once the saddle is sold...especially if there are problems.

Has anyone had an experience with a great saddler who persevered until horse and rider were truly comfortably fitted?

Quote Originally Posted by Helicon View Post
    I have heard so many stories of saddle sellers who turn their backs on customers once the saddle is sold...especially if there are problems.

Has anyone had an experience with a great saddler who persevered until horse and rider were truly comfortably fitted?
    I have been beyond satisified with my experience with Custom Saddlery. When my fitter (Tess Wheat) came to me, she brought every saddle they made. I tried every one. Then we sat and talked through every option and which one would be best for my horse's build.

Custom contacted me directly on paying for the saddle and shipping it. I didn't pay for the saddle until it arrived and I was absolutely satisfied with the fit. Then the fitter contacted me and talked via phone and email we worked to find a mutually beneficial fitting appointment. She was able to come to me within 2 weeks of receiving the saddle ( I was out of town) and she stayed for over 2 hours until the fit was perfect and she made 3 adjustments. She said she wasn't leaving until I was absolutely sure it was perfect. Because I was going out of town the following week and wasn't going to be able to ride in the saddle enough times to make sure the fit worked and I was happy, only then did I have to pay for the saddle.

I am still in contact with my fitter and I have no doubt that if I have a problem Custom and my fitter will stand by their work.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

1 members found this post helpful.

JDR Saddles and Mehrdad. I think he could fit a saddle for a basset hound.
    http://www.jrd-tack.com/

I have had great service from Schleese. I ordered a custom saddle from them about 4 years ago and still get contacted by them about refitting my saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by EventingMare View Post
    I have had great service from Schleese. I ordered a custom saddle from them about 4 years ago and still get contacted by them about refitting my saddle.
    Of course you do - you're a revenue stream
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

2 members found this post helpful.

I use Kate Wilson from Dutchess Bridle Saddle, who has several brands on her truck.

She doesn't "persevere," she gets it right the first time.

Also she hand delivers the saddle, driving it right down the barn driveway and personally putting it on the horse to make sure the fit and flocking is perfect from the first ride on. No, "Here is it in a box from UPS, good luck!" from her.

I (as well as my friends and customers) have ordered several saddles from her and they have all been right on the first try. Number of problems anyone has experienced =0.

I don't think saddle fitters should be measured by "perserverence" and the sunshine they blow up your heinie, I think they should be measured by if the saddle is flipping right on RIDE ONE.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think it depends greatly on the individual saddle fitter as well as the company. You need to talk to those local to you and see who they recommend (or not.) My local Trilogy saddle fitter is very good (same level of service Meupatdoes gets.) and as far as I am aware there is no issue with the company standing behind it's products. The combination of the two makes me comfortable dealing with them.

I just ordered a Dresch for the saddle fitter.

I agree that it shouldn't be a matter of perseverence, but of getting it right to start. I'm getting my saddle through a fitter who used to rep Customs but switched, because she typically gets the fit right immediately. I've known too many people locally who take months to figure out how to get their saddle to fit no matter how quality the saddles themselves are. My horse has been outgrowing saddles about every 8 months - so when we get our 6 month fittings I want the adjustments to be made so the saddle fits right, because in 6 months it should need adjustment because of his changes, not because it didn't fit right in the first place.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Ann, from Equestrian Imports. Amazing. Myself and about 3 or 4 other barn mates got our saddles from here, and the service and knowledge is outstanding. I had a slight horse mom panic attack b.c of how much my horse grew in a matter of 2 months and she re evaluated the saddle fit to ensure all was good.

I think if you do a search on here, you will find a lot of compliments on her. I have never heard a bad word.

Good luck!
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

Ann, from Equestrian Imports. Amazing. Myself and about 3 or 4 other barn mates got our saddles from here, and the service and knowledge is outstanding. I had a slight horse mom panic attack b.c of how much my horse grew in a matter of 2 months and she re evaluated the saddle fit to ensure all was good.

I think if you do a search on here, you will find a lot of compliments on her. I have never heard a bad word.

Good luck!
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I use Kate Wilson from Dutchess Bridle Saddle, who has several brands on her truck.
    I've also had a good experience with Kate Wilson -- she is based downstate in NY but does travel so if you're in the NY/NJ area she's worth a try. And although I wouldn't say she gets it absolutely right the first time every time -- she will stick with you until she solves any issues.

Kate is great, as is Ann. Some other really fine fitters include Kate Wooten, Brita Rizzi, ZsuZsu Iiles, Mike Scott, Tiger Adams, Jeff Kalman, Louise Palmer, Suzi Fletcher-Baker, Patty Barnett ... depending on where you're located, you're probably within travel distance of a reputable, concerned fitter. Some, like Ann, work long distance as well through the use of templates and photos.

Many of us at my barn use Pam Omer of Freedom Fittings (Albion/ Kent&Masters). I am always very happy with her work.

Its nice to read about so many positive experiences. I am glad these saddle fitters are getting the recognition they deserve.

Kitt I had a good experience with Trumbull Mountain a couple years ago. I see you are independent now... and I wish you success.

Thank you all for the great leads.