The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Doxycycline - long term use, any side effects?

Anyone's horse been on doxycycline for longer than 3 months? Are there any side effects/risks from using Karidox solution/doxycycline for a long time (such as 6 months)? Thanks for any replies.

It can be pretty tough on horses' stomachs. We had a foal with joint ill/ bone infection who got it for several months and the vet eventually had us give her breaks from it-- I think she was on it for five days off for three? Something like that, anyway. She never showed any ill effects from it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not too bad long term in humans - teens use it for acne for years at a time and do ok. Taking with food/feed will minimize some of the GI upset though it shouldn't be taken with vitamin supplements.

The worst I've seen is some serious 2nd degree sunburn for people on it if sunblock isn't used. Also most drugs when they "get old" don't really become harmful - just less effective. Doxycycline is actually harmful once it's expired, so make sure you have non-expired product.

2 members found this post helpful.

My horse was on it for close to a year. Towards the end of his treatment he did develop ulcers, but just added in Ulcer guard and he was fine.

SuperD what did your horse start doing for you to suspect ulcers while on doxycycline if you don't mind me asking?

A horse at my barn was on it (twice) for Lyme, and it seemed to affect the texture and color of her coat (sort of dry and more bleached/patchy than usual).
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Quote Originally Posted by Alibhai's Alibar View Post
    A horse at my barn was on it (twice) for Lyme, and it seemed to affect the texture and color of her coat (sort of dry and more bleached/patchy than usual).
    Thats interesting, my filly had doxy April/May last year, her coat went like skin, like she was clipped. When she finished the doxy she grew a thick coat in June, while wearing a rug. Went back on doxy in July and now in the middle of winter again has a really thin coat that looks like its clipped. She is rugged so possibly it would be different if she wasn't rugged. I've been wondering if it was due to the doxy.

In addition to the other things mentioned, antibiotic resistance and antibiotic-associated colitis and killing of "beneficial" bacteria are possibilities as well.
    Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.

She is most likely getting sunburnt. Doxy makes you extremely vulnerable to the sun.

Doxy is also going on back order and the price will be shooting through the roof very soon.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Quote Originally Posted by Justmyluck View Post
    She is most likely getting sunburnt. Doxy makes you extremely vulnerable to the sun.

Doxy is also going on back order and the price will be shooting through the roof very soon.
    I'm in the UK, not much sun at this time of year so no danger of sunburn!

I feed her prebiotics twice a day, at least 4 hours before or after the doxy so hopefully they are doing something good before getting killed off by the doxy.