The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Styles in Tall Boots

I was looking at an ad for breeches last night. The ad showed a rear view of the model, who is wearing field boots with back zippers and a tab to hold the zipper closed at the top. She's also holding what looks like a Charles Owen helmet under her arm.

To me the overall impression was of a biker instead of a horsewoman.

Does anyone besides me think that the new zipper boots look more like motorcycle cop boots than riding boots? I had never thought about it before, but I did when I looked at that ad. The helmet might as well have been a motorcycle helmet.

The boots have "Spanish"(?) tops (outside higher than the inside).

I have nothing in the world against motorcycle cops and bikers in general. Been on plenty of bikes myself. Nothing against the convenience of zipper boots, either--although I hate the look of them.

But when traditional riding boot styling gives way to the look of biker boot stying, then I do have a problem.

(Although, come to think of it, boots like this might be the answer to American men who refuse to ride English because they think the breeches and boots make them look like wusses ... )
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

None of these trends are new.... Spanish tops have been around a long time (before zippered boots) and even zippers have been around since the early 2000s at this point.

I personally don't see any similarity between motorcycle boots and the lovely, slimming tall boots people are wearing these days.

6 members found this post helpful.

Hey, if you want a motorcycle boot I'll show you my old Marlboroughs. They are 40 year old relics sitting in my closet and they are too short and look like stovepipes. They really look like motorcycle cop boots.

I like Spanish tops, I think they look really nice. I'll agree with you that the back view of zippered tall boots is pretty funky but I'm so glad not to have to struggle and strain with a pair of boot pulls! Can you link to the ad so we can see what it is you are looking at?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

I think the spanish top leads to a more finished look, I also love the convenience of having a zipper down the back. I will never buy tall boots that don't have a zipper down the back!!

I have however more than once had a random woman walk up to me in a store or restaurant gushing over my tall boots and asking me where I got them. I always found that weird, other than quick stops on the way to or from the barn I can't imagine wearing these things for every day living!!
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

My tall boots have spanish tops with zippers up the back. I love them! I'm with those who say that I'm don't miss having to heave and ho my boots on and off.

My show boots were (*sob* the dog at them!) traditional dress boots with no zippers, but I think that my next pair will be like my schooling boots, just... you know... not cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I thought for sure this was going to be about exotic leather trims, curved front zippers, or maybe something like the Volants or Verdus boots....as RR mentioned, zippers and Spanish tops have been around for quite some time at this point!

I too prefer the Spanish tops, I think they make legs look longer, and also fill in that gap if boots drop a bit too much. And between ease in on/off, and the ability to get a snugger fit in the ankle when you don't have to make it "around the bend", zippers are just fabulous

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ironbessflint View Post
    I thought for sure this was going to be about exotic leather trims, curved front zippers, or maybe something like the Volants or Verdus boots....as RR mentioned, zippers and Spanish tops have been around for quite some time at this point!
    Lol! I was thinking the same thing....expecting a rant on the tennis-shoe-type boots or something. But spanish tops and zippers aren't exactly "new" any longer, and I've grown much more accustomed to seeing the slim fit that zipper boots allow than the larger ankles of pull on boots (though I don't notice either when someone's sitting on a horse!).

I too thought this was going to be about exotic leather and such! I saw a pair of boots this past year that were gator on the top with hot pink pipe.... I have to admit I kind of really want them!

The Volants people can keep, I think they are really ugly even though I hear amazing things about them!

As for spanish tops? I don't want another pair of boots without the spanish tops. I think they look so beautiful! They don't leave a gap with I'm in the saddle, and they make my leg look long and thin. Zippers? I couldn't imagine my life without them anymore, nor could I imagine not having gussets!
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

You know Denier makes motorcycle cop boots, right?

I have a pair of the Volants and yep, they're ugly. Ugly as sin. They look like Star Wars boots. And I did not want them, I'm uber-traditional.
    However there was an equestrian booth at a local fair that had these (I stopped to drool over the Ariat cowboy boots) and the salesman kept talking about the Volants. I said, "No thanks, those are really really ugly." He bet me I'd like them if I wore them. I took him up on the bet.

Dammit, he was right. I still think they're ugly as sin, but they feel like you're wearing slippers that go up to your knees. They're ridiculously comfy, right out of the box. I could bend and flex and run around. (good traction too)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

5 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

fourmares: it is DEHNER (sorry - I'm a spellcheck freak)

LOL - yup - zips and Spanish tops are hardly new.
    I had the zips added to my custom Vogels sometime in the late 90s - after getting tired of wrestling the boots on & off on the 3rd day of a 3-day show. Boots were then near 10yo.
    Vogel uses a flap of leather over the zipper & a tab at the top, so once it's zipped closed the zipper is not visible. My boots still look exactly like traditional tall dress boots.

I have ridiculously high arches and getting my foot in & then out was a problem from Day One.
    Once they are on they are bedroom slippers, but the on & off was always a struggle until I had the zips put in.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

As a long-leggety gal I love the spanish tops. Because of my back issues it hurts like crazy to pull off pull-ons, so zippers are also an appreciated addition (except when they break!)

I would totally go for the volants or red-croc topped customs! Now to go about winning the lottery..... ;-D
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

My Dehners have square-cut "spanish" tops and zippers on the inside/front.

I loff 'em.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

I don't care for the overly exaggerated Spanish tops, myself. I do have some old off the shelf black dress Marlboroughs that are the right height and so those are more my style. It occurs to me that my 'newest' boots, including the above and the Dehners, date from mid-80s, so I guess I'm a dinosaur.

I also hate the trends in helmet design- not, to be sure, from the safety perspective, but they just 'clash' with anything resembling a 'traditional' riding coat whether for hunting or show. I could go on about juniors wearing shadbellies but I'd better shut myself up.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Hey, if you want a motorcycle boot I'll show you my old Marlboroughs. They are 40 year old relics sitting in my closet and they are too short and look like stovepipes. They really look like motorcycle cop boots.

I like Spanish tops, I think they look really nice. I'll agree with you that the back view of zippered tall boots is pretty funky but I'm so glad not to have to struggle and strain with a pair of boot pulls! Can you link to the ad so we can see what it is you are looking at?
    Yessss on your Marlboroughs! Classic!

And Viva La Spanish tops! Anything to make my short leg look longer. And I bulked at the zippers on the back when they came out because it's not "correct", but now that I've spent a decade of not hunting for a poor sucker to help me pull them off or fighting with a bootjack (or a window when you lost said bootjack)..... I'm happy times have changed in this aspect!

Love Spanish Tops and love, love, LOVE zippers. I don't know how anyone could prefer the wrestling and struggling of pulling on boots to a quick zip... Especially in winter when you're wearing thick socks. I will never buy non-zippered boots again!

I also hate the trends in helmet design- not, to be sure, from the safety perspective, but they just 'clash' with anything resembling a 'traditional' riding coat whether for hunting or show.
    There are some interesting helmets out there to be sure but it's not like it's tough to find a traditional black or navy velvet helmet for showing. I like having options for schooling... Casco has some gorgeous leather covered helmets that I drool over every time I see them.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post

I didn't see it online but I will try to see if I can't find it there. I just need to remember to bring it to the computer with me so I can look up the breeches it was about--can't remember the brand!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I like Spanish tops as well. And if it weren't for zippers, I wouldn't be able to wear tall boots at all. My ankles don't flex well in certain directions and getting my foot 'around the corner' in a pair of normal tall boots is impossible.