The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Equine08 & runnyjump, if you guys are close to Lamplight, can you keep us updated on the footing situation? I was there for the dressage show last weekend and we actually had to move to the far back old arenas because the new footing in the front two and warmup arenas were SUPER deep - like horses sunk in about a foot. They tried to water it to help it back, but that actually seemed to make it worse.

I'd like to go back over there for the IDCTA show next month, but not if that footing is still there and not compacted.

There's supposed to be a hunter show there next weekend, so I'm hoping some COTH hunters can also let us know what the situation is after that....

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyThe Ride View Post
    Equine08 & runnyjump, if you guys are close to Lamplight, can you keep us updated on the footing situation? I was there for the dressage show last weekend and we actually had to move to the far back old arenas because the new footing in the front two and warmup arenas were SUPER deep - like horses sunk in about a foot. They tried to water it to help it back, but that actually seemed to make it worse.

I'd like to go back over there for the IDCTA show next month, but not if that footing is still there and not compacted.

There's supposed to be a hunter show there next weekend, so I'm hoping some COTH hunters can also let us know what the situation is after that....
    I was there last Sunday watching a few rides. I know they are still working to settle up main rings. I will be driving past there this weekend and will stop for a look-see and let you know what it looks like.

Lamplight is a great show.

Ticklefight, normally I would agree with you, but there were serious problems last weekend with the footing they put in that week. Enough problems that the TD made the decision Friday night to have the show rings moved to different arenas, which involved pushing back the start time on saturday to give the staff time to move/set up rings. Then they continued to add MORE footing to the already dangerously deep rings. I'm really not a footing snob, but that new footing is just waiting to pull tendons and possibly even break legs. Hopefully they figire out how to compact it quickly. I'd really like to show there again, but not with that footing...

Lamplight's beautiful, even in pouring rain and thunderstorms...the footing is fabulous in all the rings, again, even in pouring rain and thunderstorms! I second the vote about places to eat - great food in St. Charles.

I don't know about Co. Springs, haven't been there (yet)...

Matrix1-
    I agree that Lamplight WAS all of those things you mentioned, and the rings WERE fabulous--but having ridden in the show there LAST weekend, it has changed- the footing is HORRIBLE and as EnjoyTheRide said :

"Ticklefight, normally I would agree with you, but there were serious problems last weekend with the footing they put in that week. Enough problems that the TD made the decision Friday night to have the show rings moved to different arenas, which involved pushing back the start time on saturday to give the staff time to move/set up rings. Then they continued to add MORE footing to the already dangerously deep rings. I'm really not a footing snob, but that new footing is just waiting to pull tendons and possibly even break legs. Hopefully they figire out how to compact it quickly. I'd really like to show there again, but not with that footing..."

I have to totally agree- it was Dangerous last weekend.

I cut my dressage teeth in the show rings at Lamplight in the 70's. I'm sorry to see things have gone down hill. Not surprising that Debbie put on a first class show---she and Tommy are the best. His Dad was a hoot!

1 members found this post helpful.

I also have to say I hate that warm up covered ring thing at Fountain Valley. The indoor is nice...except it doesn't breathe so it's either stifling hot or frigid. Really, it's a fabulous high school...but not a good show facility.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

What unfortunate news about Lamplight! Thanks for the heads-up!

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX1 View Post
    What unfortunate news about Lamplight! Thanks for the heads-up!

It's not the Lamplight has gone "downhill," but rather the new owners working to improve all the rings. The main rings have all been re-footed and haven't had a chance to settle and compact yet. Sadly, I think all the work done on the rings had to be postponed since our spring here was one of the wettest on record. it helped the hay crop, but put the improvements behind schedule. I would think by mid-June, the work will be finished and the rings settled... at least I hope so!

They also appear to be redoing the temp stalls that were under tents. It looks like they are resurfacing the floors and replacing the beat up old stalls!

Sorry if this is high jacking the thread but there are several people from the Lamplight area that might know the answer to this. The rumor is floating around that this will be the last year for dressage shows at Lamplight, and that the only shows held there will be hunter/jumper shows. Can anyone confirm this? Hoping this is not the case. Not wild about the stalls in the CDE barns and the long hike up to the office but the show grounds are lovely. No place to park your trailer though which can be a pain. Hoping the footing issues are solved by the time Championships roll around in September.

The biggest H/J shows of IL are being held there this weekend with Spring Spectacular so the timing is bad with the footing. My understanding is they are constantly compacting the rings and while the footing is nice, it hasn't settled yet, so it's deep. I'll know more later, going tonight to watch my daughter ride (hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    I also have to say I hate that warm up covered ring thing at Fountain Valley. The indoor is nice...except it doesn't breathe so it's either stifling hot or frigid. Really, it's a fabulous high school...but not a good show facility.
    The ADVANTAGE of the covered warmup is that you can warmup under the hot sun with the benefit of shade. Or in rain with the benefit of not getting soaked.

I have been to less inviting facilities.

I stopped by Lamplight yesterday to watch some hunter rides. The arenas looked great. They are watering and rolling them between classes to help them settle.I wouldn't have had an issue riding in them. I think all the rain we have had here has helped them settle.

I was up at Lamplight yesterday. They have completely dug out the entire GP ring to the base. I am told they are starting over with the footing in that ring? Apparently it was very, very deep last week. Yesterday's hunter derbies were all held in a smaller hunter ring.
    friend of bar.ka

I just visited Fountain Valley a few days ago. Lovely facility, but the footing's just so-so. Feels "dead". Sand, some squeegee (gravel), would be fine for lower level horses and the H/J's that make up the bulk of the riders at FVS.

Wouldn't take my medium or advanced horse there, though.

Does Lamplight still have....The Swamp....?