The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse show input - Colorado Springs vs. Lamplight

A group at my barn is looking into doing an out-of-state show this summer. We're located in Texas, so we have a bit of a hike wherever we go, but can also go in just about any direction! Based on show dates and everyone's calendars, we've narrowed it down to either Colorado Springs or Lamplight in July. I used to show at Lamplight years ago for jumpers and really liked it but have never been to a dressage show there. None of us have been to Colorado Springs before (we've done Estes Park and Parker but never CO Springs).

Any feedback on showing at these facilities/shows? Thanks!

Which show in Colorado Springs are you considering?

Time of year is important. Illinois can be hot and humid. Colorado can be hot and dry.

Colorado's prettier!

1 members found this post helpful.

I've never been to Colorado Springs but can't imagine a prettier venue than Lamplight (I've been there).
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

We've got mountains!

Otherwise, as far as show venues in Co Springs, ummmm, not all that purdy.

I will grant you, Illinois can grow real grass. Green, lush grass.

We've got mountains!

Otherwise, as far as show venues in Co Springs, ummmm, not all that purdy.

I will grant you, Illinois can grow real grass. Green, lush grass.

I can't compare to Colorado Springs (never been), but Lamplight is beautiful, usually very well run, and generally has great footing... what more could you ask for?

Knowing what show in Colorado Springs would be good. Parker and Estes have nice venues. Colorado Springs isn't bad but I can't imagine driving from TX for it (live in TX now but spent 10years in CO showing dressage).

ETA: After looking at the calendar, from my experience and IMO I'd attend Paragon I, II, III or Dressage in the Rockies I, II, and III if I were traveling to CO to show. There are 3 shows in 1 weekend vs 2 and those shows tend to be larger with bigger name judges. Big name judges and a big show certainly doesn't make or break an experience but as someone who has showed in CO for years and now lives in TX I can't fathom driving that far for what some of the July shows offer.

If you're considering Dressage at the Peak II at Fountain Valley, then I would agree that there are nicer venues.

The stabling is very nice but the grounds are small (no concessions and very little shopping) and the warm-up ring very small (outdoor covered ring) and the indoor competition ring can be stifling hot.

When I was there the footing was much too deep in the warm-up and there was a deep section right at X where a lot of horses had issues. It is a multi-purpose arena for the private high school there.

Fountain Valley School campus is beautiful but it's sort of remotely located south of the city, so you'd be driving pretty far to get anywhere fun.

Which show in Colorado Springs are you interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    If you're considering Dressage at the Peak II at Fountain Valley, then I would agree that there are nicer venues.

The stabling is very nice but the grounds are small (no concessions and very little shopping) and the warm-up ring very small (outdoor covered ring) and the indoor competition ring can be stifling hot.

When I was there the footing was much too deep in the warm-up and there was a deep section right at X where a lot of horses had issues. It is a multi-purpose arena for the private high school there.

Fountain Valley School campus is beautiful but it's sort of remotely located south of the city, so you'd be driving pretty far to get anywhere fun.
    Next time we need to take you with us when we go do FUN. 10 minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhco View Post
    Next time we need to take you with us when we go do FUN. 10 minutes away.
    Ha ha! Do tell!

Thanks so much for all the input - just what I was looking for.

Yes, we were looking at Dressage at the Peak just based on dates. We'd looked at Parker and Estes Park too since several of us have shown at those venues before, but the dates didn't work for our group. Didn't know anything about the Dressage at the Peak show/venue, but sounds like it's probably not worth the trip.

I agree there are plenty of great shows in Texas and we'll be doing several of those during the year too, but one lady in our group turned 50 this year and it's on her "bucket list" to do an out-of-state horse show, so we're making a big trip of it. I loved the Lamplight facility when I showed jumpers there years ago, so I'm glad to hear it's still a good venue for showing (and great to hear the warm-up rings are nice). Sounds like that's at the top of our list!

Not only was Lamplight a good venue years back, management continues to make significant upgrades. The grounds and footing are top notch & they make the extra efforts to make newcomers feel welcome.

Wasn't there a recent thread that Lamplight just sold?

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Wasn't there a recent thread that Lamplight just sold?
    Yes, but it will remain a show facility and according to reports, then new owners are planning even further upgrades (hopefully redoing one of the tent barns.... it's nice, but shows it's age).

I am 10 minutes from Lamplight. I can direct you to all the good local places to eat! It's a very nice place.

If you go to Lamplight you can walk across the street into the forest preserve and have mowed grass trails on which to ride and lots of grass to hand graze on.

Y'all are making ME want to go to Lamplight!

runnyjump, what a small world. I'm 15 minutes east of Lamplight. I know each event may have different show management. I attended their AA H/J show in July under the management of Debbie McIntyre; every little detail was first class.

Quote Originally Posted by equine08 View Post
    runnyjump, what a small world. I'm 15 minutes east of Lamplight. I know each event may have different show management. I attended their AA H/J show in July under the management of Debbie McIntyre; every little detail was first class.
    I've been showing dressage and eventing at Lamplight since 1984! I do visit the hunter shows once in a while to shop, but don't do the spoiled princesses well! lol