The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CoQ10 ?

Anyone feed this? If so, where do you get yours? I have found an "equine formula" of it, but it's expensive. So I was wondering if feeding the capsules from the drug store would be the same....thanks!
    Royal Guardian- aka "Gabe"

It's pretty darn expensive in the "human" form, as well. Vastly overpriced, IMO, considering we make our own and the benefits of oral ingestion are largely speculative and unproven.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

I tried higher doses as part of a antioxidant cocktail for my allergies. It did zero, zip, nada....not a darn thing.

That said oils seeds/grains are fairly high in CoQ10. I eat peanuts frequently (love those things) and use soybean and canola oil to cook with. These are natural sources so perhaps I am already getting the Co Q10 I need....if we need dietary Co Q10 at all.

What benefit are you looking for in your horse from Co Q10?

It's for his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian1 View Post
    It's for his heart.
    I think in Europe they are actually prescribing it to heart patients if I recall correctly. But it has been a few years since have done much reading on Co Q10. I thought in the horse they had not established a benefit from supplementing Co Q 10...just that it was safe to do so without causing other issues.

Interesting topic for sure tho.

Quote Originally Posted by D Taylor View Post
    I think in Europe they are actually prescribing it to heart patients if I recall correctly.
    No data to support the ideas that floated around out there 5-6 years ago that Coenzyme Q was helpful. Older studies showing benefit did not have adequate controls and improvements seen were felt to be due to simple passage of time. This is what I remember. I certainly do not recommend it to my cardiac patients specifically other than as something to try to make statins more tolerable. For which it has about a 50/50 success rate, btw--possibly a placebo effect. I certainly don't tell them to stop it if they choose to take it, though--if they ask, I give them my opinion, which is stated in my previous post.

I have used coenzyme Q10 for cardiomyopathies (and sometimes other mitochondrial disorders). I don't really think it has done anything but these are children heading towards heart transplant so the kitchen sink gets thrown at them as a hail mary and obviously the children are well insured. The data is very weak and there is no clear cost:benefit. I would never recommend it but usually acquiesce if a cardiologist demands it since it is generally benign.

Does insurance cover the cost of the CoQ?

For children it will - they get everything covered. All the more reason to love pediatrics. You should cross over to the dark side.... ;-)

Thanks for your thoughts.....but still looking for an equine version of it. I have my own beliefs....

Deltawave-how does CoQ10 make statins more tolerable? Just curious.

FWIW, I tried it on my horse as part of a suggestion from a homeopathic vet. I was desparate and willing to try anything at that point, and found it pretty cheap online. I can't say it helped at all.

This is tangential, but my vet prescribed it for my cat with an enlarged heart; the cat was on a cocktail of meds for a number of years (7 or so).

Also there *are* good studies showing it eliminated migraines in 70% of children in the study. A pediatric neurologist prescribed it for my son, whose co-Q10 levels were abnormally low (per blood test) and his near-daily migraines disappeared within 3 days never to return. He's on 300 mg./day.

Statins interrupt one of the steps in the production of our own coenzyme Q (not completely, the body can work around it) and this is theorized as one of the reasons some people taking statins develop muscle pain and other symptoms related to the muscles. So the theory of using supplemental CoQ to replace or replete what the statins cause to drop is a fairly solid one. Unfortunately, as with many great ideas, it has failed to work very well. Still it is felt to be quite safe with minimal down side (other than cost) and so it is certainly worth a try for many individuals. Again, IME we get about a 50% response/improvement rate, which most authors agree could be placebo effect, but most reasonable people are OK with that, as long as they feel better.

Also tangential, but I have roughly the same amount of success with vitamin D as I do with CoQ in getting statins to be more tolerable in people with myalgias. Myself included.

Generally the practice of mediciine is not based on beliefs, but on evidence. There's plenty of room to try things that are perfectly safe with no downside. (and this product comes pretty close, but always there is the "as far as we know" disclaimer)

Curious as to the OP's horse's heart condition, if you wouldn't be averse to sharing?

FWIW I have a horse that was converted from Afib in 2007, he's been on ToCoq10 ever since.
    No clue if it made a difference, but he's been doing fine eventhough at the time I was told the conversion would possibly only last him 6 months. Happy to say it's been a long 6 months, lol.

I buy the human softgels, drop in feed, he doesn't even realize they are there.
    http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-toc...g-120-softgels

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    FWIW I have a horse that was converted from Afib in 2007, he's been on ToCoq10 ever since.
    No clue if it made a difference, but he's been doing fine eventhough at the time I was told the conversion would possibly only last him 6 months. Happy to say it's been a long 6 months, lol.

I buy the human softgels, drop in feed, he doesn't even realize they are there.
    Thank you, my horse was saved by holistic medicine. So I'm a believer...that's all I'm going to say....Lieslot, how many do you give per feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post

Curious as to the OP's horse's heart condition, if you wouldn't be averse to sharing?
    My horse was in liver failure last year....so we feel that his heart was compromised as well, so the vet would like him to be on it...

The first year I used to give him 600mg, now he's down to 200mg. Vitacost has different mg softgels, it's really easy & cheap. I do not understand why the price goes up so much when the word 'equine' is printed on a supplement. I remember looking into specific equine CoQ10 supplements and was shocked at the price.