The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle suggestions for my guy

I finally was able to get my act together and take some tracings which I will be sending to Trumbull Mountain next week but in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone is able to make suggestions of brands that would work. I'm looking for dressage and cc recommendations as well as maybe something that I could use to do both.

He's a coming 5 year old hannoverian x Quarter horse and just recently has become ribby (have just upped his feed). I'm currently riding in a Wintec Isabell with the wide gullet and half pad and its just OK. The billets do not hang perpendicular no matter what I do, they hang pointing more towards his hindquarters. He also has a forward girth groove which may be part of the issue (but maybe has nothing to do with it?).

Pictures here

Thanks for any input!

Can't make really detailed recommendations w/o seeing the template, but based on the photos, your guy's going to need a fairly flat tree and a panel with good depth in the front - something along the lines of a K (County calls it a "skidrow"). A point front billet and swing rear would probably be a help with keeping the billets where they ought to be. In the dressage line, something like a Frank Baines Reflex or an Albion SL/Platinum would be worth considering. A Black Country Eloquence with a K panel would be a good bet (TMT can order that saddle with that panel config. but it's not one they normally stock). Another possibility would be the Loxley dressage on the Warmblood or "classic" tree with their version of the K panel. For cc saddles, the Black Country Quantum (though you can only get a trapezius panel on that rather than a K) or the Ricochet; Albion Kontrol or Loxley jump, again on the wb or classic tree (which allow for a K panel).

Hi Kit,

Thank you so much for the recommendations. Unfortunately, I don't have a very big budget - $1500 is what I have to spend... Is the K or skidrow panels something new or do I have any chance at finding an older used saddle that has that?

Thanks again

You can probably find an older saddle with the K/skidrow panel; I've seen it often enough. If your budget's tight, a Thorowgood might be a good option, or a Kent & Masters; they have a "standard" model and are both within your budget. I don't think your horse will need the high-wither model or the broadback - based on the photos, anyway. TMT only carries the latter 2 models, though they can order the standard (it would take a while to get, unfortunately), but Kate Wilson at Dutchess Bridle and Saddle and Annette Gavin at Hastilow USA both have it.

Check with www.hastilowusa.com for used saddles with K panels. They usually have several and you can send your wither tracings to Annette as well
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    Check with www.hastilowusa.com for used saddles with K panels. They usually have several and you can send your wither tracings to Annette as well
    This. I know they have a 17.5" Black Country Wexford (I think, I sat in it, forward flap, really nice saddle, twist was too wide for me) with the k-panels, great condition and only 1700, I would have bought it myself if they hadn't had a saddle that I liked even more and that the Pony loved, also in the same price range

The Wexford would certainly be worth trying, though I'm wondering if the tree may be too curved for this horse. The standard panel on that saddle is quite deep - not quite a K, but almost.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    The Wexford would certainly be worth trying, though I'm wondering if the tree may be too curved for this horse. The standard panel on that saddle is quite deep - not quite a K, but almost.
    If I remember correctly this one fit my boy quite well and he is about as flat as they come (gotta love WB backs), the only reason it didn't fit him better was because he had no wither to take up the K panels and so it perched a bit

Oh great suggestion on hastilowusa! Looks like they have quite a few. I will be sending my tracings in there as well. Wish I was closer to the NE! Hope I don't end up spending a fortune shipping different saddles

ETA: I just checked out the Wexford in more detail and looks like it would be a really nice dual saddle for me! Hope that the tree is not too curved... If it is too curved, would that result in the back of the saddle popping up??

Have you checked out the Fairfax saddles? I have a freind who loves hers and she uses it for jumping as well as dressage.. Well within your budget too....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Too curved a tree can result in cantle pop (that can be caused by a tree that's too wide or an incorrect panel configuration as well). If the tree's too curved for the back it's sitting on, it will rock like the rocker on a rocking chair moves on a flat floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    You can probably find an older saddle with the K/skidrow panel; I've seen it often enough. If your budget's tight, a Thorowgood might be a good option, or a Kent & Masters; they have a "standard" model and are both within your budget. I don't think your horse will need the high-wither model or the broadback - based on the photos, anyway. TMT only carries the latter 2 models, though they can order the standard (it would take a while to get, unfortunately), but Kate Wilson at Dutchess Bridle and Saddle and Annette Gavin at Hastilow USA both have it.
    Actually Trumbull does have some standard models in both T8 and Kent & Masters. You should give the shop a call for details.