The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Field and Fences Wadsworth, IL

Anyone been to one of their shows, rated or not? Can you give me the pros and cons, also if it was in the winter, how warm is the place?

Thumbs up

I am a fan of the facility. I have attended her NIHJA shows since '05 & the A show in '10. Anita works really hard to put on nice shows.

In the winter the main show ring is not heated, but some other areas are (viewing areas, office, some aisle). I don't know if the far side aisle is. Anita is always upgrading & working on improvements. Rings are good size (the indoor warm up ring is much larger than Ledges) indoor & out plus plenty of room to hack or lunge thru out the day. She really encourages early entry & then predicts a rough time schedule which is nice just for an idea of show times. Hotels & restaurants are also close by plus the mall is across the street.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

1 members found this post helpful.

Lovely facility. Giddy-up is spot on.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Great facilities and organization, like Giddy-up said. I didn't enjoy my winter showing experiences there, it's just too cold to really enjoy it. No matter how many layers you have on, it's still cold. I'm a cold weather person who's never cold and I was definitely miserable by the end of the day.

Now I'm in love with their outdoor shows. Beautiful rings, good warm-up arenas (warm-up for the indoor is pretty good as well).

I forgot to add for barn comments it's nice stabling, concrete aisles (they do use the 2nd indoor for temp stalls during larger outdoor shows if needed), multiple wash racks with hot/cold water. They also set up very large aisle fans in the summer to help keep it cool. Easy to ship in/out & load. Areas for trailer parking on site.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"