The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default those of us that purchase photos at events...

Or those that want to throw their opinion out there - what would you like to see as far as packages/or prices? Are you more likely to purchase a a package for ALL the pictures (say 40 pictures from all phases) or are you more likely to pick and choose your few favorites?

Trying to help brainstorm for an event photographer to increase her sales. I suggested the package deal (I am more willing to spend money on a package for the good bad and ugly than i am to buy a single photo). Also maybe buy a photo for say $25 and the following photos at a reduced rate ($10 or something).

what sort of prices would you be willing to spend? I know with the economy as it has been its sometimes hard to get photog's out at every event, so I don't want them to disappear!

TIA!

One of my favorite photographers (thank you Red Horse!) does something like $5 or $10 FB photos - they're low resolution, but cheap enough that I'll buy 3-4 of them, where I wouldn't buy 3-4 $25 FB photos.

I like the option of buying the whole disk at a reasonable price (less than $100), but I often don't have that many really good photos and I'd rather get one gorgeous one if there is that.

End of the day, though, it's all about getting good shots and making it easy to order. I would love it if event photographers were more willing to stake out the big-honking-jump with great lighting, rather than try to get a bunch of shots at some little crappy coffin that the horses don't jump well (and please, I don't need any more gallop through the water pictures, at least not at every single show...). Put proofs up quickly (thank you GRC), and make the purchase process easy.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think I know which photographer you're talking about...

Getting the proofs up in a timely manner is HUGE for me! More than a month and I've forgotten who was there to take the photos, I would love (and have had some actually do this) to have some notification of when photos are ready. I know this adds work on the photographers part, but it would also be much easier for someone to click a link on an email right to the event proofs than to remember which photog was where and search for the website from the program. Love the idea of buying the CD of all shots as well, so many people rarely print out photos that the FB/lower res "internet photos" would also help boost sales I would think.

You're hubby does awesome work BTW, EventingJ!

1 members found this post helpful.

Absolutely a package. I do not need/want retouched photos.

My favourite show photog will burn you a disc on the spot...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I don't show, but I can tell you what I would buy if/when I do. Digital files, either individual photo or a CD with all photos, but must come with permission to post the pictures on Facebook. If I buy a print, it's going to hang on my wall and rarely is anyone going to see it. I'd much rather have something I can share with and show off to all of my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    I don't show, but I can tell you what I would buy if/when I do. Digital files, either individual photo or a CD with all photos, but must come with permission to post the pictures on Facebook. If I buy a print, it's going to hang on my wall and rarely is anyone going to see it. I'd much rather have something I can share with and show off to all of my friends.
    This is kind of my feeling, too... I want to be able to share my pictures, whether it's on fb or even as a sale photo. I've bought CDs and prints before, and you know what? The CD photos get used. The prints are still sitting in a drawer somewhere. I'd spend more on a CD than I would buying specific prints, assuming there is more than one decent photo of us.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

If there are more than 2-3 good photos I buy the whole CD.

Low Res FB prints are my favorite. I think Shannon Brinkman did them for like $7? I bought a slew.

If prices are low enough ($10-$15) I will make a point to buy some photos just because.

I almost never buy physical photos any more. If I buy a picture, it is in a digital format. I usually buy a whole CD worth, though I'm backing off on that since $100 of photos a show is getting expensive. If I could get "facebook/ 4x6" resolution pictures on a disc for around $50, I'd be thrilled and would budget for that every time out, photos unseen. I'd love to see add-ons for higher resolution photos as well - but in the past three years, I've printed out exactly three of the full resolution digital pictures I've purchased at shows - one at 8 x 10 and two at 5 x 7. Only one has actually made it onto a wall in my home. However everything has gone up on Facebook.

There are some photographers in the area who I used to think of as the budget photo guys. Their discs were usually around $40 and I was happy to pay that for their work. Their prices have gone up (more than doubled) with the rationalization that they take more photos than the competition and it is what their competitors are getting for the same disc. Unfortunately, their disc with 100+ pictures is an ENDLESS stream of rapid shutter release during dressage (30-50 photos, about 4 that actually are taken at the right time in a horse's stride to look nice), and jumping pictures that include three shots on the approach, two to three in the air, and two or three on the landing of the same fence - again, rapid shutter release, and hope for one that is "right." They're also frequently blurry, so I don't look at their disc as getting 120 photos.... It's truly only about 12 usable photos....
    So I guess my position is that I like the whole disc option, but I'd really rather see a few good quality pictures than a ton that my untrained husband could have taken with my Nikon.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

An affordable package disc

I also want the more interesting jumps from X-country. I was very disappointed at an event when I was all prepared to purchase the whole package and when I looked they were the smallest, most boring jumps on course. I can only guess they were worried there were would be more run-outs, refusals at those and stuck with safe. I would still have loved at least 1 interesting jump featured.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I have almost no use for prints. Anything I want to see, I want to share on Facebook or put on my phone, which I use to show people pictures. I don't want photo books, mouse pads, coffee mugs or T-shirts with ME AND MY HORSE all over them.

So in an ideal world I would have the option of choosing maybe 5-10 photos out of a decent lot and buying a CD or download of those images for use on FB. I wouldn't mind the option to pay a little more for unlimited use and/or a much higher resolution image.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    An affordable package disc
    This!

I am already spending a lot on a show. I do appreciate the good phtographers and the skill they have in getting a shot, but it is not enough for me to spend $30 on a print or some higher value on a digital picture. A package @ 50$ would get me to buy for those shows that have meaning (move up, first time there). Sometimes I think that less is more and with a lower price, there may be more purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by JP60 View Post
    This!
    Sometimes I think that less is more and with a lower price, there may be more purchased.

This is SO true... If photos are $25-$30 I will probably just skip them all together (as opposed to picking 1-3) however I'll happily pay $50-100 (depending on quality) for a disc of all of them, or even a package disc of my favorite 10-20
    The rebel in the grey shirt

GRC does any 15 FB shots on a CD for $75, which I LOVE-- I like to wait until the end of the year and pick and choose. I think the only time I've bought all the pics from one event was at the T3D, so 3 phases and jogout which was 100+ pics for like $90 or $100 so totally worth it! Fun but not something I could justify doing every time.

I am more likely to buy an okay digital photo for $5-$10 than a pretty good print for $30. If they are in the $25+ range for either prints or digital they better be really, really good! (And honestly, it is hard to get a really, really good picture of my horses at the lower levels.)

Ditto to everyone saying packages great, digital photos are it as well.

Let's say I have one, maybe two photos I LOVE from a show, and several others that I like OK, but could do without.

Price per photo is something like $30, the whole disc is around $100.

At those prices, I'm likely just to walk away.

On the other hand, if prices were $10/photo (for digital) and or around $65-$75 for the disc, you're definitely getting something from me at those prices. Possibly the whole disc, at least the one or two photos I love.

Yes, I have never really understood the $30 per photo price tag. Bear with me here, but I would thing that MOST of the cost for the photographer comes from being at the event, going through the photos, organizing them, putting them on a website, etc. The printing or digital sharing cost is minimal compare to that.
    Thus said photographer would be much, much more likely to lure me in and have me spend $30 for say 3 photos (or 5 or 10).
    Maybe I am wrong here, but I think they would get a lot more buyers that way and make it worth their time to be at the event.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

An affordable package is best. I rarely buy them now at shows since they want $25 for a 5x7 which is way over priced. I've just been teaching my daughter timing on my digital SLR and she's pretty good now at taking my photos. I'd rather pay a flat rate of around $50 for all the photos on cd even low resolution with the option to buy higher resolution ones at a discounted rate if cd is purchased. I have a friend who does photos and just charges her clients $50 for the cd.

I find due to the high cost of photos most people don't bother to buy the photos. If they did a inclusive cd (and had plenty of photos, not just 2 or 3) then that would sell the most.
    Cloverfox Stables

I budget so I can always buy a CD (I only get to 3-4 events a year) and if the photographer doesn't generally offer it I talk them into it. I rarely print them out, I just want to be able to look at them over and over and over again.

I've paid $80-$250 for all the pics the photographer took which has been between 10-50 pics. Obviously, the cheaper that CD costs the happier I am. Strangely, the cheaper the CD the better the pics.

I've also paid $300 for 10 pics. That seemed really steep, but because of the circumstances (21 year old horse at her first event) I had to buy it.

i would like something like $25 for a print, $10 or so for subsequent prints. or i like deals where prints come with a free or $5 or so digital copy.

As a horse-show mom (and therefore the purchaser of all the photos) I sometimes buy a single photo, sometimes an entire disc, and sometimes nothing.

What makes me buy a single photo is that the photographer got maybe one or two great shots but there were only a few of DD (or, there were 50 pictures, but 45 of them were in dressage.)

For me to buy the entire disc, there had better be a fair number of good pictures, say... a dozen or so. Usually the photographer has somehow managed to take a shot of nearly every stadium fence and virtually the entire cross-country course I'm sure there's more than one person out there when they manage this, and that's why I understand the cost of the CDs.

Somtimes there just aren't good pictures, and that's sometimes DD's fault, not the photographer... or the weather... or the horse having a stupid day... sometimes just timing was off, whatever.

What I hate is when you absolutely know there was a photographer at the event, but you can't find out who they were and you didn't think to ask at the secretary's stand. I would totally pick up a flyer or a business card at the event if they were out so that I could look them up later, but don't rely on my memory of seeing a website address plastered on the inside of the port-o-john. I won't remember it. After a few weeks you've been to another event and you simply forget about the previous one.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    I think I know which photographer you're talking about...

Getting the proofs up in a timely manner is HUGE for me! More than a month and I've forgotten who was there to take the photos, I would love (and have had some actually do this) to have some notification of when photos are ready. I know this adds work on the photographers part, but it would also be much easier for someone to click a link on an email right to the event proofs than to remember which photog was where and search for the website from the program. Love the idea of buying the CD of all shots as well, so many people rarely print out photos that the FB/lower res "internet photos" would also help boost sales I would think.

You're hubby does awesome work BTW, EventingJ!
    This. I'm pretty sure I know which photographer too. I'd rather sort through photos to find myself within a few days, then wait 1+ months for pictures. I am much, much more likely to buy a photo directly after the event, than if I have to wait a long time. At that point, I've convinced myself that I'll get a better photo 'next time' and won't buy.

Also, cheaper facebook/digital prints and package deals of any sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.